GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/11/2020 4:08 pm  #81

Re: GW vs Fordham Tourney Game Thread

Another off year of suffering. 

3/11/2020 4:09 pm  #82

Armel Potter is what a real GW player looks like, that's the kind of talent we need at GW.

Armel is going to fight to the last second out there , has carried the team all year in the good moments of the season, even through most of the bad ones. 

We've watched Toro struggle for 4 years 18 inches from the rim, and has zero range, in a world of stretching the courts, and Marfo had even less range than that.  getting rebounds at the #311 KenPom is little surprise. 

We need more guys like Potter, Battle, Jameer JR, Chase Paar.  JC will get it done. 

The last years of Lonergan, once the Core 4 graduated/transfered out of GW,  before he was fired for abusing the players,  was not supplying the next rounds of requisite talent. Because, as a then otherwise BIG ML fan, I tried to raise the issue of weaker recruitng classes in 2015 and 2016,  I was attacked by the same phony set of fake names, all with different names, no re-cast with new ones. As were the 6 7 8 9 people this drove off the site.   Is that we want the new site to be BGF?

Well, its on display one last time today in the form of Juice and Toro, TBH.  Watching Collin Goss get a few minutes off the bench for a CAA Delaware team, a 24 year old 5th year senior, who like Cimino was having hard time finding a court even as Senior in the CAA

Steve, 14 fake names doesn't change facts, nor is it fooling anyone.  You can have a phony echo chamber of "suffering like minded fake name made up persoans" but it will just drive away the last 2 or 3 humans you haven't yet.  

JC will get it done, if he had 4 Armels, instead of 1, we'd be in good shape right now.

Last edited by The Dude (3/11/2020 4:13 pm)

3/11/2020 4:11 pm  #83

Again and again this whole sad year, can we let Adam also jack up a 3? He might even make one,

3/11/2020 4:15 pm  #84

The Dude wrote:

Armel Potter is what a real GW player looks like, that's the kind of talent we need at GW.

Steve, 14 fake names doesn't change facts, nor is it fooling anyone.  You can have a phony echo chamber of "suffering like minded fake name made up persoans" but it will just drive away the last 2 or 3 humans you haven't yet.  

I am sorry I responded to you Dude.  I will go back to my policy of ignoring those not worthy of a response, even grey haired, pony tailed adolescents.

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (3/11/2020 4:20 pm)

3/11/2020 4:16 pm  #85

jf wrote:

Again and again this whole sad year, can we let Adam also jack up a 3? He might even make one,

Adam is like the plucky guy in Triple A who everyone wants to call up in June.  He's a walk on for a reason and is not nor ever has been the answer.  Sure he might make a 3 pointer but he's going to need a whole play set up for him to do it.  Do you have confidence we could even do that at this point?

Instead of guys like Mitola who can only do one thing and only if it's set up perfectly for him, we need to get guys like Elliott, Creek, Savage, etc. who can actually create plays for themselves.  I am sick and tired of watching teams who need everything to go perfectly scheme-wise to have a chance.  We need athletes and we need them fast.

3/11/2020 4:19 pm  #86

72-52,  Lose to Fordham 3 times. AND a slam dunk to end it.  Something to remember.

3/11/2020 4:21 pm  #87

24 points 4 assist 3 rebounds 2 steals in his final GW game for Armel Potter.

0-2 2 points for Toro in his.

Just keeping things real, we needed more Armels.   

0-2 and 2 points from Toro, 
4 fouls 0 points from Juice in their final games. 4 years into their GW careers, not getting it done.

Mojo left a really good Freshman class for JC to build on, and build on it he will. 

3/11/2020 4:30 pm  #88

GOD DAMN!! Sorry guys, but that type of language is needed with the way GW season just ended, curse words are probably needed too!! LOL  The future looked bright after GW won at Duquesne on February 19th, which brought them to 6-7 in the conference and a 7th or 8th place finish seemed realistic. Now the season ends with 6 straight losses, 3 losses to last place Fordham and a 20-POINT LOSS TO FORDHAM in the play-in round!! I guess you can say the future is bright because of the 4 freshman, Amir Harris, Maceo Jack, the signed newcomers and possible transfers playing next year, but this was just a horrendous end to the season for GW. The one positive I can see is that with the season being over this soon is, we can now focus on the incoming and outgoing transfers. 

Last edited by Thomas (3/11/2020 4:32 pm)

3/11/2020 4:41 pm  #89

Ugh, this reminds me of the old board.  There is literally no reason to bring up ML, or to call out people by real names, unless you are trolling for reaction.  This is like you and the MV back in the day.  It was stupid then, its stupid now.

The points you are making aren't even valid, not that it even matters to you..  The 2015 and 2016 recruiting classes included 1) a dude who is in the top 10 of the NCAA in scoring, 2) the guy who is leading the NCAA in rebounding right now, 3) contributors at two superior programs (South Carolina and UCF), 4) two very good transfers and 5) Toro, who was probably the best player on the team before his injury.  The truth is, we have no idea what this team would have become if they had a competent coach, which MoJo was not.  That is more hits than misses in my book.

​I'm not too disappointed in the team this year.  While this loss sucks (and the end of the year in general) sucks, this is the first year with a new coach running a new system.  Remember, in Hobb's first year the team lost 10 games in a row toward the end of the year.  3 years later they were an NCAA tournament team.  ML's team list 10 of its last 12 in his first year.  They went to the tournament 2 years later.   It takes time to build a program, especially pretty much from scratch.  I have faith that when we gets more of his players and the team matures, this will be an NCAA tournament team 2-3 years from now.  You can't base results on what you see from an injury depleted team that features a ton of freshmen.

3/11/2020 4:49 pm  #90

Tennessee, one of your previous posts mentions a new women's coach. Is Rizzotti leaving?

3/11/2020 4:50 pm  #91

We will have a long off season to discuss why the wheels feel off.  I think one key factor was the length of the season for the frosh, who were not accustomed to playing as long or as hard as they were this season.   Hopefully, the old expression, "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger", will apply, and our overused frosh class will grow from this experience.  But it certainly wasn't fun living through this.  Much more to follow, but losing 3 to Fordham (2 of which we weren't even competitive in), sure leaves a bad taste in one's mouth.

3/11/2020 5:00 pm  #92

porter71 wrote:

Remember, in Hobb's first year the team lost 10 games in a row toward the end of the year.  3 years later they were an NCAA tournament team.  ML's team list 10 of its last 12 in his first year.  They went to the tournament 2 years later. 

This is the only thing I'm hanging on to

3/11/2020 5:07 pm  #93

I agree with the wheels falling off and it does appear like it was mostly attributed to fatigue as opposed to something else.  Given what we've been through over the past few years I pray there wasn't any sort of "mutiny" or off the court reason why the guys seemed to completely fall apart. 

Our offense has basically been nonexistent for a month.  Our last 4 games we've scored 51, 52, 51, and 52 points respectively.  Hopefully this offseason we get some clarity on where the scoring will come from next year.  I long for the days when scoring in the 70s was seen as the norm as opposed to a best case scenario.

As good as Armel was early in the season, his decision making recently left a lo to be desired.  We were trying to force way too many passes and seemed to be a step slow on a lot of our rotations.  Again, I hope that the influx of new blood will improve on that next season.

I think this stretch has been a wake up call for JC that in order to compete in this conference we can't just rely on the same stuff we've been doing all year.  There is obviously something to be said about having an identify on offense, but as Fordham proved, once our first choice on offense is taken away, we don't have the ability to adapt.  We truly live by the 3 and die by the 3.  Getting Toro more touches today was not going to be the answer, he really has struggled in the half court, but man oh man we had no answer to what Fordham was showing us.

A blessing in disguise is that we get out of town early and get to work on the offseason, both in terms of transfers in and out, and also to allow for this board to take a breath.  This season has been relatively free of shenanigans and it sucks that this thread has devolved into what we all hated from the last board.  Knock it off.

3/11/2020 5:07 pm  #94

MoJo inherited enough talent to win 20 games during his first season.  The reverse can be said of JC who inherited next to nothing from MoJo.  Excluding Adam and Luke, the two Lonergan holdovers, Toro and Juice, were injured throughout much of the year.  Toro was an A10 talent when healthy.  It became clear that the lingering effects of his injury impacted him while at the same time, JC's call to move on from him for the most part undoubtedly shook his confidence. Juice was a bit of an afterthought (I believe he signed in April) band while he made the most of his limited abilities here, he was never intended to be a major part of any coach's game plan.    They are both great young men and will be missed.

The MoJo holdovers include Maceo who to be fair, would likely not have been recruited to GW had Lonergan remained as coach, Javier who like Juice was an afterthought as well as a risk coming in,  Mezie who does not look to be a serviceable A10 player after two seasons, and Armel who was not without his flaws but who grew to become an instrumental part of this team's limited success.

Almost everyone seemed to be in agreement at the start of this season that JC deserved a pass in Year 1.  I agree with this from a long term perspective. We need to see what he can accomplish with more of his own recruits.  However, from a short term perspective, I do feel that criticism is warranted.  Playing today without JNJ was a big deal, not due to what contributions he may have provided but because it naturally causes everything else to fall out of sync.  Teammates get used to him making a big shot or fighting for rebounds or generating steals.  Being non-competitive today though has to start with coaching.  How can a team that literally can not beat anybody else in the conference be so masterful against us?  Do they have more talent?  No matter what you may think about GW's talent level right now, this answer is no.  Did their defense force all of those turnovers or cause so many shots to miss? Of course not.

Put another way, what did JC do differently today that may have produced a better result?  It was so clear that Fordham was ready for Armel defensively.  They shut down the passing lanes which left Armel to shoot, get fouled, charge, or throw the ball away.  Very rarely was he able to throw it back out.  

For all the 3's this team shot, they make very little effort to free up shooters with screens.  Had this been done early in the game, giving Jamison and Maceo better looks, maybe their shots would have fallen which may have changed their confidence level throughout the game.  

Execution of course plays a huge role, but so does a lack of a real game plan.  This team was 0-2 against Fordham.  Game 2 was just a week ago.  What did we try to do differently today?  

Just goes to show how fragile a season can be.  I said in another post that JC has chosen to play a high-risk, high-reward style.  A style that allows a team like GW to upset Davidson, Duquesne and UMASS.  But, it's also a style that allows for losing to anyone when the shots are not falling and there is no alternative plan to fall back on.

Talent, recruits, playing style on both ends (no zone defense ever???).  Let the offseason begin.

3/11/2020 5:26 pm  #95

Obviously the result was not what any of us (or perhaps most of us reading this board sometimes) wanted. Myriad of reasons why we lost and finished the season the way we did. I'll save those for another post.

I do think however, it's inappropriate for the Dude to make that earlier post. I also do not understand what relevance ML has to the present team (other posters).

ML isn't coming back. ML should have not been fired, But here we are and we can't go back and undo Nero's mistakes. So now we have JC. It's not JC's fault that ML was let go. It is not JC's fault that he was handed arguably the least talented team in the A-10. JC inherited the aftermath of a lot of bad decisions. Please remember that JC is the first GW coach to have a better overall and conference record than the year before since Jarvis. Try to have a little context. I promise in a few years no one will care that we lost to Fordham three times. And it will have absolutely no bearing on what we do going forward. This was a "get through" year and we got through it. Still very excited for the future.

3/11/2020 5:41 pm  #96

What a crappy stretch to end the season.  One of the worst I can ever remember.  97 grad and have been a fan of the team since 1993.  I have 9 and 7 year old boys and we are a GW and Seton Hall household.  Guess which conference and team they became fans of this year?  :-(

Board footera