GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/15/2020 1:49 pm  #1

Repercussions if the NCAA extends eligibility for players this year?

My first thought is that extending eligibility wrecks havoc on the schools and next year's recruits.  Do they plan on adding scholarships so that incoming students and players who remain have spaces on teams - or was this just pie in the sky bs from the NCAA?

3/16/2020 1:22 am  #2

Re: Repercussions if the NCAA extends eligibility for players this year?

It can’t happen.  It’s just not workable.  It would also be totally unfair to guys who, say, came to a program knowing they’d sit behind a starter for two years, then get a chance to start, and it would delay the development of most incoming freshmen.  It’s a nice thought driven by coaches who want their stars back and legit sympathy for guys who worked four years to make the ncaa tourney only to have it taken away (I.e. Hofstra denied) but it can’t happen.

3/16/2020 9:37 am  #3

Not only can't this happen, but I think the opposite will become true, meaning a temporary reduction in scholarships.  NCAA member schools receive 75% of their revenues on average from the NCAA Tournament.  This percentage is likely to be less at Division 1 football schools and more in conferences like the A10.  Without this revenue, schools will have to find ways to cut expenses.  Dropping sports may certainly be on the table.  Another measure may be for the NCAA to reduce the number of basketball scholarships from 13 to either 12 or 11 for a certain set period while not allowing walk-ons to travel to away games.  While schools do not receive tuition from scholarship athletes, there are real costs associated with educating, housing and feeding these athletes.  Reducing scholarships also means less money spent on travel, hotels, etc. for these players since walk-ons would not be traveling to road games.  I obviously don't know the exact math but if the NCAA were to impose a reduction in scholarship players from say 13 to 11 were to take place for say a three year period, this would help offset the loss in revenue from not having the NCAA Tournament take place in 2020. 

3/16/2020 9:48 am  #4

I really can't see it working, but has the NCAA dropped the idea?  In the bigger picture - the economic costs of the virus are going to be enormous.

Board footera