GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/21/2024 11:53 am  #341

Re: James Bishop IV

It has been 5 weeks since our last win and we’re all trying to figure out why: weak OOC schedule? maybe.  Inexperience? maybe.  Roster construction? maybe. Poor coaching? maybe.

Tom Izzo says he would play anybody anywhere anytime.  He has a developmental plan that extends from Nov to March with his team peaking for tourney time.  Yes not apples to apples but one coaching philosophy.

From biddy basketball in grade school to big boy D1 there has always been 2 sides to the game.  Defensive skills are never ignored.  Most players enjoy the offensive side way more because it gets rewarded with accolades.  Not so on D.  D is hard work and under appreciated.  Very few pros are labeled lockdown defenders so why bother?

We don’t have a lot of foot speed.  We get beat off the dribble, get picked off to oblivion, get beat in transition, and only when the rainbow 3’s fall 35% of the time do we show any signs of life. 

I’ve watched Miami a bit lately to seek any similarities to our team.  They seem to take many 3’s early in the shot clock just like us.  But they bust their tails on D and on the boards.

Just curious when a whole new starting 5 is tried.  What have we got to lose?  Something went wrong 5 weeks ago that hasn’t been remedied.

Let’s go Revs!!!

2/21/2024 12:51 pm  #342

You may see 3 new starters tonight due to injuries. Could be a very long night with a very short bench.

2/21/2024 2:48 pm  #343

Hope the injuries aren’t serious.
Let’s see if anyone steps up and shines.

2/21/2024 2:55 pm  #344

Who are the 3? If it's Garrett and Jun, who is the 3rd, unless related to James' nasty spill at the meaningless
end of last game?
    This could perhaps call into question tightening the rotation early against a powder puff schedule.

2/21/2024 3:17 pm  #345

Interestingly, as of Dec. 21, GW was in the top 20 in the country in defensive FG %.  Today, we are 114th which sounds better than I would have thought but is obviously helped by the OOC opponents that helped land us in the Top 20. 

2/21/2024 3:23 pm  #346

Garrett, jun, and Max is nicked up.

2/21/2024 11:14 pm  #347

32 points for JBIV on just 22 shots.  4-6 from 3, 8-9 from the Line.   

inching closer to the top of  the all time leading scorer list.  

Not going to win A10 POY but another 1st Team All A10  seems likely top 3 in the league in both assists and points 

3% way up Free throw % way up.

Last edited by The Dude (2/21/2024 11:20 pm)

2/21/2024 11:25 pm  #348

The Dude wrote:

32 points for JBIV who inches closer to the all time leading scorer list.  

1st Team All A10 looks likely.  3% way up Free throw % way up.

We are in 14th place, and will be last if we lose at St Louis.  It’s a stretch to say 1st team all A10 is likely, especially since he’s shooting under 37% in conference play (his worst in 4 years and a steep decline from his 1st team all league season last year).

2/22/2024 4:58 pm  #349

GW69 wrote:

I forgot to mention how much I’ve enjoyed being part of this community.Some really fine people on the 
Board.I’ve been impressed with the knowledge imparted here.I’ve learned so much about the game from all of you.Special shout outs to LSF-Mayhem-Rising and of course,the master-DMVpiranha.

Appreciate it GW69. I agree that NIL is ruining the game and it's not the same. It's harder to get invested in a team that may be comprised of guys here today and gone tomorrow. Gone are the days where the name on the front of jersey matters more than the name on the back. But what is the alternative?  The genie is out of the bottle and it's probably never going back in. This is the new reality but it is still just entertainment for me. When it stops being entertainment then I'm out. I think we all just need to get used to change. Nothing stays the same. Probably our ancestors would say the same about what we saw in the last 25-30 years or so.

2/23/2024 5:53 pm  #350

GWRising wrote:

GW69 wrote:

I forgot to mention how much I’ve enjoyed being part of this community.Some really fine people on the 
Board.I’ve been impressed with the knowledge imparted here.I’ve learned so much about the game from all of you.Special shout outs to LSF-Mayhem-Rising and of course,the master-DMVpiranha.

Appreciate it GW69. I agree that NIL is ruining the game and it's not the same. It's harder to get invested in a team that may be comprised of guys here today and gone tomorrow. Gone are the days where the name on the front of jersey matters more than the name on the back. But what is the alternative?  The genie is out of the bottle and it's probably never going back in. This is the new reality but it is still just entertainment for me. When it stops being entertainment then I'm out. I think we all just need to get used to change. Nothing stays the same. Probably our ancestors would say the same about what we saw in the last 25-30 years or so.

Likewise, thank you from me also for the kind words GW 69.  Admittedly, I wear my heart on my sleave...that is what fans do, and my analysis is only as good as the last game played (or sometimes the last half).   I will say that as excited as I was about the Caputo hiring and notwithstanding our injury situation, 9 losses in a row does not look good on a coaching resume, nor does the serious regression in our key 2 returning players (James and Max).  THis will be a cruicial off season in retaining what we have and bringing in some serious up front help.

2/23/2024 7:09 pm  #351

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

[THis will be a cruicial off season in retaining what we have and bringing in some serious up front help.

This will be a very interesting off season now that the NCAA is enjoined from enforcing ANY NIL regulations including recruiting inducements and tampering

https://apnews.com/article/tennessee-ncaa-lawsuit-nil-7ecfad9c88f8c8baa7e0f4bb00f22ec9

2/23/2024 10:10 pm  #352

GW0509 wrote:

[THis will be a cruicial off season in retaining what we have and bringing in some serious up front help.

This will be a very interesting off season now that the NCAA is enjoined from enforcing ANY NIL regulations including recruiting inducements and tampering

https://apnews.com/article/tennessee-ncaa-lawsuit-nil-7ecfad9c88f8c8baa7e0f4bb00f22ec9

Unless I’m missing something, this isn’t as big a deal as the headline screams. Who cares? H.S. students are already eligible for NIL, so the door was already cracked open for these schools to be doing it “off the record,” so there’s that’. 

The NCAA thought they could do what states thought they could do by legalizing gambling - eliminate cheating. That didn’t work and organized crime is still laying action. And all NIL did was  institutionalize cheating by giving Power 5 schools and their donors a fig leaf and a veneer of propriety while behind the scenes the “off the books” payola is as prevalent as ever. Because as we all know, when it comes to money, some is never enough. 

I dint have any suggested answers and I’m not sure there are any. Frankly I’m very pessimistic about NCAA basketball surviving in a form that is both recognizable or desirable.

Last edited by Alum1 (2/24/2024 10:03 am)

2/24/2024 3:52 pm  #353

Congratulations to James for scoring 2000 points at GW. A tremendous accomplishment.

2/24/2024 5:23 pm  #354

34 points six assists five rebounds four steals seven of 11 3-point shooting for James Bishop IV

2/25/2024 4:43 pm  #355

An old basketball adage….There is no more overrated player than the leading scorer on a bad team

2/25/2024 5:26 pm  #356

With 34 points and 6 assists James now climbs closer to the All Time top of both lists, his 7 made 3s on 11 attempts notably have him shooting nearly 40% from 3 for the season

He was 1st Team All A10 last year shooting 29.9%.  

2/25/2024 8:01 pm  #357

The Dude wrote:

With 34 points and 6 assists James now climbs closer to the All Time top of both lists, his 7 made 3s on 11 attempts notably have him shooting nearly 40% from 3 for the season

He was 1st Team All A10 last year shooting 29.9%.  

He shot 30.3% from three last year. But he also shot over 50% from 2 and this year he’s barely shooting 40% from 2.  Despite the improved 3pt shooting, both his effective field goal percentage and offensive efficiency are both down from last year.

Of course, none of that changes the fact that he was absolutely brilliant from 3 last game and nearly willed us to a short handed victory.

2/25/2024 9:26 pm  #358

An old basketball adage….There is no more overrated player than the leading scorer on a bad team

The comp for JBIV right now is Ryan Daly from a few years back at St Joe’s. Averaged something like 20 ppg for a bad SJU team and got 3rd team all conference.

2/26/2024 2:01 pm  #359

James Bishop IV has been named the A-10 Player of the Week for a third time this season!

Looking like a 1st Team All A10 pick

Bishop posted a pair of phenomenal performances at Saint Joseph's and Saint Louis, averaging 33.0 ppg, 5.0 apg, 3.0 rpg and 1.5 spg while shooting an incredibly efficient 50% FG (21-42), 64.7% 3FG (11-17) and 81.3% FT (13-16). All came while Bishop played 79 of a possible 80 minutes in the two games.

The 66-point week pushed Bishop over 2,000 points in his decorated GW career, becoming just the third player in program history to achieve the accomplishment. It also gave him 500 points for the third straight season, just one of seven players in NCAA history to do so.

Here's a 1st Team All A10 case.  He leads all players from  the 15 team conference in points produced, a measure of your offensive production via assists and points, same as he did last year
He's top 10 in all 4 years at GW but #1 trhe A10, this year and last:

2020-21 A-10 336 (5th)
2021-22 A-10 462 (10th)
2022-23 A-10 700 (1st)
2023-24 A-10 509 (1st)

Last edited by The Dude (2/26/2024 4:02 pm)

3/04/2024 11:04 pm  #360

2089 points for James Bishop IV 

445 Assists 

...and counting 

Historic career for JBIV 

Board footera