GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/03/2022 9:20 am  #101

Re: James Bishop IV

The Dude wrote:

maybe 2nd team and 2nd team for JoeBam and Bishop?

It may be a stretch given the way voters tend to rely heavily on the top 3-4 teams in the league for the top spots.  However, Bishop is on an insane tear right now that could very much get him in the mix.  He’s currently sitting at 4th in the league in scoring, and the voters do tend to overweight that, so if he could climb to 1st or 2nd that could help.  Would also help if we finish around .500, though despite the 4-4 start; the schedule is about to get a lot harder. 

To your original question, I think it’s fairly wide open.

3 Davidson guys all in the mix for POY and 1st or 2nd team: Brajkovic, Loyer, and Lee. Lee is the top scorer, Loyer is the PG:leader, and Brajkovic has developed into the most well rounded big in the league who has incredible stats. 

Josh Oduro is first in KenPom POY and leads the league in scoring. If Mason manages to finish top 4 (which I highly doubt), he’d probably be POY, but as long as he finishes as the top scorer and Mason has a winning record, he’s probably on the first team.  D’Shawn Schwartz is in top 10 in scoring so could also get rewarded, but he feels more like a 3rd team type to me. 

Vince Williams seems like he should clearly be 1st team.  Great all around stats

Yuri Collins for SLU is definitely in the mix.  Averaging over 8 apg.  Yesterday he had something like 35 points, 13 assists, 5 boards, and 5 steals.  Gibson Jimerson is tied for 2nd leading scorer and a great shooter (feels like 2nd team to me).

Dayton is in 2nd, which means the voters will look for someone, but they just have more even talent with no one in the top 25 in the league in scoring, so although they’ll dominate newcomer team, I don’t know if they have anyone at this point who makes 1st or 2nd team.

The Bonnies have not been the same since Lofton got hurt, but voters may have a hard time not putting Ossunyi or Lofton on the 2nd team once again (Lofton seemed to regain his form with a monster game vs Davidson, but let’s see how he finishes).  Adaway is actually their leading scorer this year, so if Bona goes on a run he could get in the mix. 

Richmond has three guys in contention for 1st or 2nd team: Jacob Gilyard, who I think is now all time NcAA steals leader; Grant Golden, whose all around game has him 4th in KenPom POY rank; and Tyler Burton who is 5th in scoring.

Darius Quisenberry is 2nd in scoring so voters probably rate him around Bishop, though I’d take Bishop easily.

Noah Fernandes is 6th in the league in scoring and 5th in assists, and shoots over 40% from three.  He could easily wind up on the second team. 

Jordan Hall is 2nd in the league in assists11th in assists, and tied with Joe Bam for 13th in scoring   I would think bring top 15 in scoring, rebounds, and assists may be enough to get you on the 2nd team but certainly 3rd at worst.  Taylor Funk could also be in the mix. 

All of this to say, as great as Bishop’s run has been, I think 2nd team will be tough unless we finish really strongly and/or he moves up to 1st or 2nd in scoring (which is very possible).

But out of 3 Davidson guys, Oduro, Williams, Collins; Jimerson, 5 guys from Bona and Richmond, Noah Fernandes, and Jordan Hall, he would have to beat out at least 5 of them to make 2nd team (and that doesn’t even count guys like Schwartz or Quisenberry who could be in the mix)

2/03/2022 9:32 am  #102

Dude, you can keep posting this topic 100 times. It has no relevance at this point. We win and individual accolades will follow. We lose and they won't. With 10 games left in regular season A-10 play I hope all the focus is on the team. We still have a lot of work to do to improve. These discussions are all a sideshow.

2/03/2022 10:08 am  #103

GWRising wrote:

Dude, you can keep posting this topic 100 times. It has no relevance at this point. We win and individual accolades will follow. We lose and they won't. With 10 games left in regular season A-10 play I hope all the focus is on the team. We still have a lot of work to do to improve. These discussions are all a sideshow.

You must be fun at parties

Nothing wrong with fans speculating about whether a player will make all league.  It would be like telling ESPN and talk shows that discussing whether Joel Embiid should be mvp is irrelevant and to shut up until after the season. These discussions are part of the fun of following sports.

2/03/2022 10:35 am  #104

Free Quebec wrote:

It would be like telling ESPN and talk shows that discussing whether Joel Embiid should be mvp is irrelevant and to shut up until after the season.

While I realize talk shows creating contrived polemics from nothing is a cheap way to make a profit and has substituted actual subtance in today´s world (sports, politics, entertainment, etc...), I would kind of love it if ESPN would shut up the sports talk shows and replace them with actual sports events.
I remember when, before gabbing dittoheads took over the studios, ESPN would air an Aussie Rules game or Sumo wrestling when there was nothing else to program. Do I care about Aussie Rules? Of course not, but it is more "sport" than a five-box screen of people pretending to "argue" over if a 6´2" is too short for a wide out or not using no more information to back up their position than the cheat sheet the show´s producer emailed them.

2/03/2022 12:15 pm  #105

FQ, good points, across the board

Bishop and Battle both made all league I believe last year

What a 4 game tear for Bishop!

Last edited by The Dude (2/03/2022 12:32 pm)

2/03/2022 1:29 pm  #106

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

Free Quebec wrote:

It would be like telling ESPN and talk shows that discussing whether Joel Embiid should be mvp is irrelevant and to shut up until after the season.

While I realize talk shows creating contrived polemics from nothing is a cheap way to make a profit and has substituted actual subtance in today´s world (sports, politics, entertainment, etc...), I would kind of love it if ESPN would shut up the sports talk shows and replace them with actual sports events.

This I agree.  I almost never watch sportscenter because it’s more talking than highlights.  And ESPN during the day is to sports as MTV is to music.

2/03/2022 1:46 pm  #107

Free Quebec wrote:

GWRising wrote:

You must be fun at parties

Nothing wrong with fans speculating about whether a player will make all league. It would be like telling ESPN and talk shows that discussing whether Joel Embiid should be mvp is irrelevant and to shut up until after the season. These discussions are part of the fun of following sports.

How about speculating every game, in-game, and after the game about a guy who is averaging 17.3 ppg on an 8-12 team which everyone here (you included) has reminded us isn't very good. Why such an obsession by the Dude? I'd imagine Bishop would be embarrassed by such talk at this point.

None of that is to take away from the very real progress James has made over the past several games. But we need to see it throughout the remainder of the season. If that happens, happy to have the discussion. Until then, I'm not crowning anyone.

2/03/2022 2:16 pm  #108

Dude will do his disappearing act before, during and after the next 3 games.
Easy to claim we are "world beaters" after playing the other bottom feeders in the A-10.
Davidson and Dayton will have him switch the topic to Mark Few and the dangers of drinking then driving.
I think we have the ability to beat UMass if our 1st Team All American Bishop can do better than 50% at the charity stripe. No worries, that will be fixed when he makes it to the NBA!

2/03/2022 2:42 pm  #109

Free Quebec wrote:

This I agree. I almost never watch sportscenter because it’s more talking than highlights. And ESPN during the day is to sports as MTV is to music.

Now do CNN. Pioneer in 24/7 news now damn near unwatchable.

2/03/2022 2:49 pm  #110

Completely on board with you Rising.Embarrassing crush on Bishop is almost cringeworthy.

2/03/2022 3:10 pm  #111

Joel Joseph wrote:

Dude will do his disappearing act before, during and after the next 3 games.
Easy to claim we are "world beaters" after playing the other bottom feeders in the A-10.
Davidson and Dayton will have him switch the topic to Mark Few and the dangers of drinking then driving.
I think we have the ability to beat UMass if our 1st Team All American Bishop can do better than 50% at the charity stripe. No worries, that will be fixed when he makes it to the NBA!

I actually think we match-up better with Davidson than Dayton but both will be very tough for us. A split would be tremendous. UMass is a winnable game. That stretch is followed by three winnable games ... at Duquesne, and home games with URI and Richmond.  If we can go 3-3 in that stretch I would be very hopeful that we are seeing some real progress. If we can finish the season with 8 or 9 A-10 wins and perhaps steal one in the tournament then I think there is some momentum going into next season.

2/03/2022 3:43 pm  #112

What absolute tear of a stretch for Bishop.

If you had to predict one guy as A10 POY, it would be ....??

I think Shawnta won POY, has any other GW player won?

2/03/2022 4:00 pm  #113

The Dude wrote:

No (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_10_Conference_Men%27s_Basketball_Player_of_the_Year)

2/03/2022 4:02 pm  #114

The Dude wrote:

THIS.  STOP.  SERIOUSLY.

You don't want to be attacked as a troll but you continue to behave like one.  You've discussed Bishop repeatedly.  On multiple threads. 

If you'd like to know whether anyone other than Shawnta has won conference player of the year, then simply ask that question.  When you continue to repeat the same points over and over again, you are trolling.

2/03/2022 4:22 pm  #115

Wow, look at Temple! what a haul 

3 straight for David West, best career in A10 history?

2/03/2022 4:51 pm  #116

Another slow day at Kinko's.

Rising, I would be extremely happy with 8 or 9 wins in the A-10. It would be a tremendous help for JC and team going into next year.
I'm hopeful he will continue to show improvement in years 4 and 5. While I said from the beginning he wasn't the right guy due to his lack of experience and .500 record at low level schools, I am now convinced GW couldn't do better due to the Knapp/Maltzman/Nero shit show we are still living with. JC has endured the struggles and hopefully learned some valuable lessons along the way. I just hope he can get some good HS recruits to come and get away from transfers who couldn't excel at the Power 5 level.

2/03/2022 6:09 pm  #117

Has anyone ever put together a similar list showing the all A10 teams year by year?

I've looked for that but never seen it, or even a list of GW's all A10 members over the years

2/03/2022 9:28 pm  #118

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

Free Quebec wrote:

I remember when, before gabbing dittoheads took over the studios, ESPN would air an Aussie Rules game or Sumo wrestling when there was nothing else to program. Do I care about Aussie Rules? Of course not, but it is more "sport" than a five-box screen of people pretending to "argue" over if a 6´2" is too short for a wide out or not using no more information to back up their position than the cheat sheet the show´s producer emailed them.

You just summed up the HOT TAKE CLOWNS perfectly, I'm actually going to use some of your comment the next time I rail against these goofballs. LOL  Unfortunately, I read a lot of social media comments/responses, and these "Gabbing Dittoheads" have poisoned the mindset/comprehension of a LOT of people!!

2/04/2022 3:17 pm  #119

Thomas, exactly

2/05/2022 7:12 pm  #120

Bishop has been absolutely shredding defenses with his electric scoring

Can you recall a scoring stretch like this in the last 20 years? Maybe Chris Monroe?? Sirvaliant if we go back a tad further??

The best part, it has powered a team which looked about the bottom of the A10 to a team that's won 4 of 7 and competing toe to toe with the creme of the league in Davidson, winners of 18 out of 19 games.

He's had help in JoeBam, who form quite the duo of fun, exciting players.

Best part today, was James Bishop's defense on Lee.  Kudos and big props 

Board footera