GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/11/2020 5:14 pm  #21

Re: Ricky Lindo

I didn't realize the DCSAA plays its tournament at the Smith Center. That is great. I went to the WCAC title game this year at Bender Arena and all I could think about is how much better it would be to have it at the Smith Center--better metro access, better access to downtown.

4/12/2020 10:56 am  #22

Alum '04,  the 1st couple rounds are played at the schools with the higher seed, the semifinals are at Georgetown's McDonough Gym and the championship games are at GW(Gonzaga beat Wilson for the title this year) . When the DCSAA tournament started 7 or 8 years ago, they rotated sites, but they've kept the same format for the last 4 seasons, so I'm assuming the championship games will be held at GW for the foreseeable future. They had the D.C.City Title game at Smith Center a few times in the early to mid 2000's(after decades of it being played at Cole Field House) when it was still the WCAC champ facing the D.C.public school champ.

Do you know the reason they hold the WCAC title game at Bender Arena every year? Is it the parking?

4/13/2020 9:44 am  #23

This is a very exciting signing for GW.  I recall watching Lindo play one of his first games at Maryland and the television announcers going on and on about how high the Terps were on Ricky.  It did seem that he was destined for a bigger role with the Terps assuming Jalen Smith is an NBA player next season and with the Mitchell twins having departed.  The Terps did pick up a transfer from BC, Jairus Hamilton,  who would have likely eclipsed Lindo on the depth chart.  Perhaps Ricky also knew something about the incoming freshmen that gave him cause for concern.  

In any case, it's  a very short list of former Terrapins who become Colonials.  Brian Magid is the most notable one.  Was there another since Magid whose name is escaping me?  I thought there was but am blanking on the name.

Welcome to GW, Ricky.  It already looks like we'll be playing much faster than this past season and you as much as anyone should be on the receiving end of many a fast break.

4/13/2020 10:19 am  #24

I think Mark Larver from the early 90s was a Maryland to GW transfer the same year GW got Matt Nordstrom (?) and Byron Hopkins from Navy

4/13/2020 10:20 am  #25

Karver

4/13/2020 10:26 am  #26

I believe Mark Karver's dad played at GW in 1950s

4/13/2020 12:17 pm  #27

Yes, Mark Karver.  Thank you PKGW.  He played for four head coaches in four years...Lefty, Wade, Kuester and Jarvis.  He had previously led BCC high school to a Maryland state (public school) championship.  

Fairly pedestrian numbers at GW as well as at Maryland.  Hoping that Ricky's production will be closer to Brian Magid's production at GW. 

12/03/2020 10:55 am  #28

So as we all know (or heard) the original plan was that Lindo would not get a waiver and would sit out this year. That may have all changed last night although I can't say for sure. An NCAA oversight committee essentially recommended on an emergency basis that all transfers this year be granted waivers immediately. If this becomes the rule adopted by the NCAA (we should know very soon), I believe Lindo is immediately eligible. That would be a huge immediate addition for GW. Pay close attention to this development.

Last edited by GWRising (12/03/2020 10:55 am)

12/03/2020 11:35 am  #29

Would this mean burning a year of his eligibility (if he were to play in 2020-21)?

12/03/2020 11:51 am  #30

No, not to my knowledge, because everyone playing this year gets another year of eligibility.

12/03/2020 7:38 pm  #31

This year is very confusing, especially when dealing with a perennially screwed up and unfathomable
institution like the NCAA. But this sounds really good for us. Would like to see what Lindo can do on
the court ASAP, particularly the boards.

12/12/2020 10:07 am  #32

12/13/2020 8:47 am  #33

Assuming this passes on Wednesday, we should learn shortly thereafter what GW and Lindo plan to do about this season.

Last edited by GWRising (12/13/2020 8:47 am)

12/14/2020 9:58 am  #34

Is there any reason he wouldn't be suiting up?  He wouldn't lose any eligibility, so seems like there's no reason for him not to play, right?

12/14/2020 10:07 am  #35

There could be reasons. Like maybe he wants to focus on his studies and wasn't planning to play this season. I have no idea but when you transfer schools do all credits transfer? Sometimes you want to catch up on credits. Maybe he wants to spend the year getting stronger and developing his skills. Maybe there is a physical reason to opt-out from playing in games this season. I could think of several reasons. 

Last edited by GWRising (12/14/2020 10:08 am)

12/15/2020 9:07 am  #36

JC seemed to indicate in his pre-game Zoom yesterday that it's not a done deal that Lindo would immediately suit up.  He said Lindo has been working on his skills development and it will be up to him whether or not he wants to play this year.  That made me a little bit worried that Lindo may decide to say "screw it" and leave after this season.

12/15/2020 3:13 pm  #37

Good point. 
Was thinking that maybe it would be best not to waste the year, but clearly he can contribute immediately.
We need what his skill set is supposed to be. And it's hard to see how adding any D1 player and many D2, DIII and if there is a D4 players would have make this team play any worse.
   Seriously, we are close to starting league play, so it would be good to get Lindo in and prepare for this year and more important, the coming years.

12/16/2020 5:40 pm  #39

Presumably we should see Lindo next game. 

I am not sure if he’s a physical player or not, but I know he can rebound and is active inside. Our team could desperately use toughness and rim protection.  He’s potentially a difference maker.

12/17/2020 10:09 am  #40

Sure doesn't sound like anyone should get their hopes up that Lindo will playing this season or maybe ever for GW.

JC doesn't mention Lindo when he talks about Dean being available against Charlotte.  Not sure why. Lindo is as eligible as Dean. Unless Lindo is injured or leaving GW, it doesn't seem to make any sense for Lindo not to play this season because it won't cost him a year of eligibility. Thanks to Covid the NCAA is giving winter sports athletes an extra year of eligibility. It would be interesting to know what's going on with Lindo. Why isn't he playing? Maybe someone on the board knows. Maybe JC will get asked about him before or after the Charlotte game.

Board footera