GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/17/2020 10:26 am  #41

Re: Ricky Lindo

As of right now, I would say its less than 50/50 on Lindo playing this season. Now that could change today or tomorrow or in the next week but as of now it hasn't. Without saying more (that will be up to JC if he wants to comment), if he does not play this season, it will be for none of the reasons you postulated GW73. In other words, he is not injured, he is eligible, and he is not leaving GW. It is also not disciplinary related just to shut down any speculation.

12/17/2020 10:34 am  #42

Sounds like a Covid related situation where Ricky, had he been eligible at the start of the season, may have opted-out from playing anyhow.  I completely respect anyone who is putting their own health (and/or their family's health) above all else.

12/22/2020 2:42 pm  #43

So with Dean playing today and no Lindo, should we assume Lindo isn't suiting up this year?

12/22/2020 4:41 pm  #44

Someone asked Tanya about Lindo's eligibility during the pre-game chat and she coyly deferred from responding.  I think that ship has sailed this year.

12/22/2020 5:46 pm  #45

If Covid-related and he is not practicing regularly, it's of course, obviously his and his family's decision and respect that.
Otherwise, maybe he watches the games and like any sensible person, wants no part of it.

12/23/2020 12:01 am  #46

Coach confirmed in the post game press conference that he is sitting out the year.  Amir Harris is also out for the year with his injury.

1/14/2021 10:58 am  #47

GWHoopians, soliciting opinions on the impact of Lindo on the playing time for other players.  It is coincidental that Battle's injury came at the same time as Lindo's first game, but I wonder if Battle had been healthy what the impact would be on the line-up and minutes.

We have just gone through a few weeks of discussing dissatisfaction with playing time as a factor in player departures; who loses minutes with Lindo in the line-up, and to what extent?

Thanks for your thoughts.

1/14/2021 11:06 am  #48

Easy one, Lincoln ball and then tyler breslford 

1/14/2021 11:22 am  #49

Predicting Bishop, Battle, Moyer and Lindo will be 30 minute+ guys. After that I expect Dean, Paar and Brown to split 40 minutes at the 5 with Dean also being able to play 4 some. That leaves 30 -40 minutes for Ball, Brelsford and Seymour. Think Brelsford will get the majority of those minutes. 

Note this is my own view and is based on nothing I've been told or heard.

1/14/2021 12:08 pm  #50

I would agree with GWRising's assessment of what will happen.  However, what I'd propose is to play James (presently at 35.7 minutes per game), Jamison (presently at 36.4 minutes per game), and Matt (presently at 31.6 minutes per game) a bit less (more like 30-32 for James and Jamison and 27-29 for Matt).  That would free up some minutes for Ricky while keeping these players fresh.  Keep in mind that 47 minutes freed up with the departures of Maceo and JNJ.  I think the three freshmen plus Chase, Hunter, and Sloan have all shown that they can be counted upon to fill in minutes without disastrous results when we rest James, Jamison or Matt.

On a separate note, GW is now 1-1 against Rams this season (with two more to go) and is 1-1 vs. Dukes this season.  Just a statistical oddity for you. 

1/14/2021 12:17 pm  #51

Moyer's minutes will go down.  A couple of times Lindo and Moyer were battling for boards and Lindo came up with it.  Lindo seems like a polished player (small sample size) and Moyer is a one year player so make sense to give him more PT.

1/14/2021 2:03 pm  #52

Moyer is by far the best defender on the team, very versatile, his work on the perimeter against Sincere Carey was shades of Senior year Yuta shutting down the other team's best Guard.

Moyer is also averaging a double double.  Who is the last GW player to do that?  Yinka??

1/14/2021 3:34 pm  #53

Arnaldo (seven games), Kevlar and Zeek came very close, but the only two double double guys I remember are Brownie and Yinka.

IMO with Battle back, Moyer and Lindo, who have very similar games, will be squeezed into one spot and unless JC wants to play Bishop and four forwards, Moyer's minutes will have to go down.

1/14/2021 3:44 pm  #54

I think you could be right BM to a limited degree as I don't think Moyer's minutes will go down that much. Moyer is versatile and can defend 2-4 maybe even a smaller 5. Lindo can play 3-4 and can defend 3-5 if necessary. Battle can play 2-4 and can defend 2-4. Bishop can play 1-2 and defend 1-2. I think he can roll with a Bishop, Battle, Lindo, Moyer, Big lineup. This is our most athletic and interchangeable lineup which may give us some matchup advantages. The only weakness is ball handling which is why I expect to see Brelsford off the bench more.

1/14/2021 4:08 pm  #55

Would imagine Paar's minutes reduced even more,given what one would think is JCs preference for up tempo.
Interestingly,though, Noel Brown defensively helped alter VCU's inside game at times and don't remember seeing him much,if at all in the second half.
   Bishop needs to sit more,without getting into a discussion of his game,just for freshness purposes. And it wouldn't hurt for him to see the game unfold a bit from the bench in order to strategize.
Same as GWMayhem noted, for Moyer and Battle,who also have been playing when they might benefit from a breather.
  It's just a one game sample, but if he can perform consistently, obviously Lindo figures to be also at least at the same level of playing time.
He certainly inspired hope in the otherwise difficult VCU game and hope he can continue that level of play and more as a very welcome presence.
Some interesting pieces to the puzzle. We've got to figure out how to use them in the best way to play together in a real team effort.

1/14/2021 5:39 pm  #56

I don't think Lindo and Moyer came to GW to play center (in fact one or both may have said something to that effect) so IMO Paar/Dean/Brown will continue to fill a spot on the court.

Message board IMO so take it for what it's worth.

Last edited by BM (1/14/2021 5:40 pm)

1/14/2021 6:01 pm  #57

yeah its wild it has been almost 30 years, I was pretty sure no one in the last two decades, the only guy I cheated on was Zeke Armwood.  

The others I was pretty sure, its pretty rare air.

1/14/2021 6:05 pm  #58

BM wrote:

I don't think Lindo and Moyer came to GW to play center (in fact one or both may have said something to that effect) so IMO Paar/Dean/Brown will continue to fill a spot on the court.

Message board IMO so take it for what it's worth.

Agreed. That will be plan most nights. There may be times due to opponent matchups or foul trouble/performance where you could see one of them at the 5 for limited minutes if we decided to go smaller. This could especially be true if we employ more Mayhem.

Last edited by GWRising (1/14/2021 6:05 pm)

1/14/2021 6:15 pm  #59

I feel James, Ricky, Jamison, Matthew will all play a lot of minutes, probably 30 minutes each if their bodies can take it.  I think Hunter and Chase will split the time at the 5.  From what I've seen of Hunter Dean, I think he's going to get better and better and be a really good player for GW.  And I think if Tyler will get plenty of minutes too as I feel he is very poised with the ball.  The good thing is that J, J, R and M are able to play multiple positions so Jamison has a lot of flexibility.   

I am starting to understand why Jameer and Maceo felt it was in their best interests to leave. I wish them both tremendous success but there is just not enough room with the great talent that Jamion has quickly assembled.

I have always been a big believer in JC, and I expect he is correct when he says we'll be a top team in the A-10 come the second half of the season.  We'll have to stay healthy, but it seems entirely possible.

This is why I always feel it's bad to be too critical of any player or any coach especially so early in the season.
JC seems to be doing great things for us and I hope the negative comments every time we lose or make a bad play or two will fade away!  We have enough problems in this country where we don't need fans of GW saying bad things about GW players or GW coaches! Especially, when the future is so bright!  Remember, we have Brayon and Tafara in our near future.

Last edited by 22ndandF (1/14/2021 6:53 pm)

1/14/2021 9:13 pm  #60

Very optimistic. Did Tafara sign?
Wouldn't count on anyone until the ink is dry.

Board footera