GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/21/2020 11:56 am  #41

Re: 2020-2021 Schedule

I know it’s a shitshow our there for basketball scheduling, but does anyone by chance  have any updates regarding our non-conf. Schedule?

9/22/2020 7:56 am  #42

A-10/MWC challenge has been cancelled.  We didn’t have a game scheduled for this year though.

9/22/2020 10:49 am  #43

things have got to be pretty fluid, The Big 10 College Football season was just green lit, has the SEC even does so yet? and that's relatively huge $ at stake, at the A10 level of hoops I gotta think we're on a touch and go basis in 2020-21
Sadly $$$ instead of health and safety will of course dictate some of this.  Did the Ivy league cancel their football season and probably hoops too? Things like that.  Whereas NFL and NBA and MLB, you can get for millions of dollars pro athlete's risk/reward, why should college kids be forced to do so? Imagine losing 1 life over a crummy A10 hoops game, and trust me 25+ years later I still love my GW hoops, but I'd understand not playing at all in 2020

9/22/2020 12:57 pm  #44

The Dude,  SEC football starts this weekend, so business is really about to pick up for college football!! I'm assuming the Big 10 saw college football games being played without a lot of problems(some games have been cancelled due to COVID outbreaks though) and realized that they are throwing away too much money by cancelling the season, so they are going to have a season in about a month. Also, Ohio State is a heavy favorite to make the BCS Playoff/Final 4, and that will be even more money for the Big 10!!

About this year's schedule, I mentioned in the 'NCAA Hoops this year!' thread that Louisville coach Chris Mack posted on twitter that he was looking for 8-12 teams to participate in a Louisville bubble, Coaches/Schools using social media may be be one of the most effective ways to schedule non-conference games this year. If GW or another local school doesn't create a bubble, GW could look to BCS schools such as Virginia, Virginia Tech, Villanova, and/or Seton Hall for bubble events because they are a lot closer than Louisville. I'm guessing that a lot of BCS schools will follow Louisville's lead and set up bubble events with 8-12 teams on their campus.

9/22/2020 1:53 pm  #45

The NCAA recommended that any athlete who feels more comfortable opting-out of their sport in 2020 or 2020-21 may do so without forfeiting a year of eligibility or a scholarship.  Am unsure whether this has been formally adopted but if so, then athletes will not be forced to play at all and will lose nothing by not playing.  In the worst case scenario, they may lose a year of eligibility and/or a scholarship but are of course, still not forced to play.

9/23/2020 5:16 pm  #46

Thomas, must say I'm actually pumped to see some SEC! so many good games in the perennially loaded SEC!

9/23/2020 9:17 pm  #47

I noticed a few days ago in a story on scheduling in the Athletic there was one line that said GW was looking to put together a bubble to play games in Walter Washington Convention Center. No more information than that. Does anyone know more?

9/24/2020 11:01 am  #48

Are we ever going to get our return date from NC State?  The year we went undefeated in the A10 (2006)  we shifted our game day at NC State to accommodate their bowl football game. When we did play we  lost our first game of the year. (We lost only 3 games that year). We were hoping to, in return for our generosity,  get a return match from them.  No way! Too bad suckers.  Now every time I see NC State play you know which side I'm on. Such ingratitude. 

9/25/2020 10:24 am  #49

Uh, lets rebuild the program, before we load up Power 5s.  When we're ready to actually beat them, lets play some

9/25/2020 11:07 am  #50

I was at the game at NC State, TC, and I don't remember it being much fun.   In fact of all the blowout losses I witnessed on the road (and I've seen a few), that game had to rate right up there as one of the worst, if not in terms of the final score but rather in terms of how quickly it became a rout.  Sadly, that game told me that despite our gaudy record and rankings, we really weren't able to compete with higher level teams.   

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (9/25/2020 11:10 am)

9/25/2020 11:31 am  #51

Tennessee Colonial wrote:

Are we ever going to get our return date from NC State?  The year we went undefeated in the A10 (2006)  we shifted our game day at NC State to accommodate their bowl football game. When we did play we  lost our first game of the year. (We lost only 3 games that year). We were hoping to, in return for our generosity,  get a return match from them.  No way! Too bad suckers.  Now every time I see NC State play you know which side I'm on. Such ingratitude. 

Yes TC, this was the alleged deal that Jack Kvancz had negotiated.  Of course, a huge defender of Jack's proceeded to inform us that this wasn't going to happen because no major program school would sacrifice a date to play in the relatively puny Smith Center.  And since this time, we've seen visits by Providence, Oregon State, DePaul, Virginia, Miami, Kansas State, and a scheduled date this year by South Carolina.

LSF, take some satisfaction that you were not at the game in Cameron Indoor Stadium in 1994 (unless of course you were there in which case I'm sure you feel my pain).  That was a 30 point loss which began with Duke going on a 40-8 run to start the game.  That was rough.  Cool to watch a game inside of Cameron, but rough.   

Also, while we did take it on the chin at 19th ranked NC State (I believe that was Regis's first game as a Colonial), we did knock off a Maryland team that was nationally ranked 23rd at the time (though which would go on to underperform).  It's very difficult to conclude that the 2005-06 team could not compete with higher level teams because the sample size was so small.  That in a nutshell was why there was so much criticism about that year's schedule.  We had enough talent to give the big programs a run for their money but they were provided scant opportunities to prove themselves against top competition.  Most of that team had played on the 2004-05 team which was blown out to start the season by #2 ranked Wake Forest (though I remember this game being competitive for a while) and then knocked off #11 ranked Michigan State and #12 ranked Maryland on consecutive days.  It really would have been nice to watch the 2005-06 team play against a few more ranked teams.  Substitute two losses against nationally ranked teams for two of GW's cupcake wins in 2005-06 would have resulted in a better seeding/draw at the Dance, even with Pops's injury notwithstanding.

9/25/2020 12:33 pm  #52

I missed the Cameron game, but I had the pleasure of being at the South Carolina game at Mohegan Sun a couple of years back.   Our 48-7 deficit in the first half  made 40-8 seem like a nail biter.   On reconsideration, I would have to give the Mohegan Sun loss the worst rout ever.

9/25/2020 1:35 pm  #53

Oh, the joys being a GW fan. Nothing like traveling to a GW road game to watch our Colonials get beaten to a pulp. Actually against South Carolina, it was 49-8 late in the first half. But hey, down by 41,  we almost  played the Gamecocks even the rest of the way losing by 45, 90-55. 

9/25/2020 2:00 pm  #54

LSF, not arguing, but worth pointing out that one of those teams had Kwame Evans, Vaughn Jones, Nimbo Hammons and Alexander Koul and won 18 games while the other had DJ Williams, Terry Nolan, Arnaldo Toro and Justin Mazzulla while winning half of that total.  So even though Duke was a far superior opponent to South Carolina, I was at least hoping for a more competitive game against a great opponent due to the talent we had in 1994.  No such luck.

9/25/2020 10:34 pm  #55

Tennessee Colonial wrote:

My recollection of the date change was that GW got a hefty financial outlay for being nice to NCSt and the whole "Wolfpack to visit the Smith Center" thing was a case of Internet sluething gone the way Internet sluething usually goes. But I would add the caveat that my recollections at my advanced age are probably not as reliable as we would like. In any case, 14 years later NCSt is probably recruiting the kids of guys on that football team and has forgotten the whole affair.

9/25/2020 10:37 pm  #56

GW73 wrote:

Oh, the joys being a GW fan. Nothing like traveling to a GW road game to watch our Colonials get beaten to a pulp. Actually against South Carolina, it was 49-8 late in the first half. But hey, down by 41,  we almost  played the Gamecocks even the rest of the way losing by 45, 90-55. 

I flew international to go to the Vandy game in Sacramento in the NCAA´s. By about the first TV timeout it was obvious that there were better uses for my frequent flyer miles...

9/26/2020 10:31 am  #57

FYI GW Alum Abroad. I wandered over to the Vandy Campus last week. Everyone who wanders on the campus has to wear a mask. Articles about the game with Texas A&M today. 6:30 PM (Central)  on the SEC Network Alternate. Front page article in Tennessean on how Vanderbilt football survived 1918 pandemic and if Tennessee really  did lose to Vandy 76-0 in 1918. Or 74-0 or 82-0. 

9/28/2020 11:10 am  #58

What are the odds of allowing fans in attendance for 2020-21 games?

9/28/2020 9:33 pm  #59

We could have some fans by sometime in January

9/29/2020 6:36 am  #60

I've seen a bunch of reports of teams dropping out of MTEs.  Any chance GW tries to grab a spot?

Board footera