GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/02/2021 1:07 pm  #101

Re: Recruit: Tafara Gapare, Forward, 2022 - (Committed to Massachusetts)

So far, he's not a high school NBA prospect or even with that special GLegue team paying a lot.
While the NBA is weird about drafting on potential, it wouldn't seem like he's had enough competition for
a lucrative pro career out of high school.
  At GW, he can live up to his commitment and both show he can play real D1 basketball and receive a college education to either go back to if he is an instant success or fall back on after his pro basketball career.

9/03/2021 11:44 am  #102

I don't do twitter, but I imagine one of you fine chaps does.  Ask Stevie what's up with GW?

No value judgment attached to either side, but I don't expect him here.

9/03/2021 2:11 pm  #103

Good suggestion.
   Hope he is being upfront with us. He's been said to be coming for a long, long time and we held a spot.  Seemed like a good guy when he committed and all have been greatly looking forward to his finally enrolling at GW.
  Were we already pocketing a scholarship beyond Tafara or did we use it?

9/08/2021 7:50 am  #104

Podcast Discussing Gapare (starting at 49:45)
Apple: https://apple.co/3hcpx7A
Spotify:
 https://open.spotify.com/episode/2WnvnqdCXyGKttsDhKShgS?si=kdJwppqpTPSrgbCqK3EIFg&dl_branch=1

"Highest level prospect out of New Zealand"
"Interest from Australian NBL, mid majors and high majors in the NCAA"
"Has stagnated a bit the last couple of years [due to staying in NZ]"
'Very scrawny...hasn't done much work in the gym"
"Was meant to be going to George Washington but is not on their roster this season"

One of the commenters suggested Gapare should play in the NBL right away starting in November.

My takeaway is that coming to GW for a year or two and challenging himself against better players while still getting all the playing time he wants would be his best option.  Sure, a professional team would probably offer a better strength and conditioning program, but there's no guarantee he'd get much PT or be the primary target while he's out there.  Definitely sounds like he is checked out playing against the scrawny kids he plays against in high school.  Also not sure how much the COVID travel restrictions might have hindered his ability to get over here any earlier.  He apparently likes being the big shark in a pond full of guppies.

Will be interesting to see what he does coming up soon.

9/08/2021 11:25 am  #105

Good find GW0509. Relying on the podcast summary.
If he can play pro in November, how does that square with his senior year ending in early December? 
His best bet is to come here and get a good education in an international capital that will set him for life. Tafara would get a warm welcome from teammates, fans, the embassies and the kiwi community here.
   But this is getting too much. How do sports people in New Zealand wonder why he's not on the roster if they are familiar with their own school calendar year, which is said to be the reason he's not here? 
Either he's coming here or not--and something from him to dampen the speculation would help.

9/08/2021 1:34 pm  #106

You can't put a player on the roster before they enroll.  We only have eleven scholarship players on the official roster so there's certainly space for him.

9/08/2021 8:21 pm  #107

Others are reading into not on the roster and making assumptions, but I believe the operating assumption from GW is still that he’s enrolling in December and playing in 22.  Until there is real news otherwise, rather than speculation, I’m not going to worry about it (and even if the real news is that he’s going pro or something, that would be a bummer, but I won’t be losing sleep over it)

9/24/2021 6:08 pm  #108

Stevie Cozens
@steviecozens

2022 New Zealand wing Tafara Gapare played his last local game of High School ball tonight.
Gapare hit a clutch three with under a minute left to secure the Wellington title for his team Scots.
He has one more National HS tournament left next month.

https://twitter.com/steviecozens/status/1441344941817417734?s=21

Guess we should have a sense of Tafara’s future plans sooner rather than later

9/25/2021 8:53 am  #109

Would this not make him eligible second semester (hopefully at GW)?  Isn't his playing second semester the rumor that we had been hearing for some time? 

9/25/2021 11:22 am  #110

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

Would this not make him eligible second semester (hopefully at GW)?  Isn't his playing second semester the rumor that we had been hearing for some time? 

More successful time spent counting on your favorite bullpen to garner wins and saves the rest of the season.

9/25/2021 11:48 am  #111

I do not expect Gapare will play 2nd semester. I think we can expect him to begin his time with the team 2022-23.

9/25/2021 5:00 pm  #112

That would be fine with me, provided the team is GW.

9/25/2021 9:40 pm  #113

Surprised that he wouldn't want to. We've had some great midseason eligible successes and even recently, Hunter Dean got some good run midseason.

9/25/2021 9:44 pm  #114

But...barring a need for Tafara to play or potential NCAA berth run (which seems unlikely this year, but next year certainly a possibility), if he lives up to his commitment and comes, whatever works for both him and the coaches.
Certainly a lot to be said for game experience. Also something to be said for sitting out and focusing on things.

11/01/2021 6:28 pm  #115

Stevie Cozens @StevieCozens
Top 100 ranked 2022 prospect Tafara Gapare from New Zealand, will join @SouthKentHoops in December Gapare, a 4-star prospect, stands 6’9 and plays the 1 in New Zealand. He has NBA-level athleticism and is an elite rim-protector. He is the #1 prospect in the 2022 NZ class

Michael Houben @michaelhoub 4m 
Tafara Gapare is no longer committed to George Washington. Will now play prep school in the US before re-assessing his options.

Last edited by GW0509 (11/01/2021 6:28 pm)

11/01/2021 6:34 pm  #116

Suppose there’s gambling at the back of Rick’s Cafe and I should look to the west for the setting sun. Glad to put an end to this expected outcome.

11/01/2021 6:39 pm  #117

I guess it's time to rename this thread "Tafara Gapare, Forward, 2022 - Decommitted"

11/01/2021 6:48 pm  #118

I tend to stick to Occams Razor but if you want to go down the conspiracy route it's been interesting following both of the guys above.  They have been pretty aggressive in pumping up Gapare and saying he should be going pro/not mentioning the prior GW commitment.  

If he goes to Duke/Kentucky/Kansas, so be it.  That's understandable. Like Kwame Evans Jr. you can't expect to beat out a top 5 school.

If he ends up following Nima to Fordham then there's some shady shit going on.

Last edited by GW0509 (11/01/2021 6:51 pm)

11/01/2021 7:01 pm  #119

Another disappointment in history of our program.-but is anyone really surprised?In fact it would have 
been surprising if he had matriculated.As a therapist I often counsel my patients to “trust the process”.
When did itcross over to masochism.I get fooled every time.The whole “board “ is involved in a “fixed 
delusion”.I believe we are all sane people-except maybe one-but when it comes to GW Bball we lose 
our moorings and live in fantasy.

11/01/2021 7:18 pm  #120

Nigel Johnson anyone?

Board footera