GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/12/2020 5:37 pm  #21

Re: Nima Omidvar

Nima Omidvar is no longer listed on the list of coaches. Any info on this.
Hopefully no connection to Gapare not signing.

Last edited by Florida Colonial (11/12/2020 5:50 pm)

11/12/2020 6:16 pm  #22

During tonights Q&A he acknowledged Nima movie on and mentioned good things we have on in the "south pacific" and keep a recruiting spot open.. Great way to hint about someone he cant actually mention by name

11/16/2020 12:37 pm  #23

Realizing that JC downplayed the question regarding Nima the other night, am curious as to whether anyone with knowledge is at liberty to share any details regarding his departure.  Meaning absolutely no disrespect towards Coach Devlin or Coach Bousley, it appeared like Nima was the closest thing next to JC as a "visible face of this program."  He was very actively involved with recruiting and represented GW well during podcasts and other event/video communications.   The timing of course is curious (just before the start of a season, reminiscent of Pete Strickland's departure), but so is the fact that someone who appeared to be an amazing "cheerleader" for GW one day is suddenly gone the next.  Not asking anyone to break a confidence but am very curious as to what happened.

11/16/2020 1:03 pm  #24

Yes does seem odd to me and the answer was very political.

11/16/2020 2:19 pm  #25

Political?  Did he clash with someone who he should not have clashed with?

11/16/2020 3:48 pm  #26

Zero evidence of that and frankly, who much cares?
Hardly like having your top two Assistants who did most of the top recruiting for you, quit their jobs mid-season because they can't stand working with you, like what happened to Mike Lonergan's GW, 5 years ago.

Coaching personnel changes are made all of the time, particularly at the lower levels.
Good luck to Nima, unlike ML, who will never work with student athletes again, and still has not half a decade later, nor will ever in the future.
Nima either already has another Coaching Job or will soon. Onward and upward.  Not much to see here, best of luck in his next endeavor and keep on marching forward GW under JC.

11/16/2020 4:01 pm  #27

Which two assistants under ML quit mid-season Dude?
What does this have to do with ML?
How do you know what there is or isn't to see?

11/16/2020 4:26 pm  #28

I care.  Otherwise, I would not have asked.  No need for you to have posted as I am well aware how much you know.  Or should I say how little? Just so you are aware, it is common for assistant coaches to handle much of the early recruiting and for head coaches to get involved in closing the deal.  That said, Lonergan was an absolute gym rat who spent a substantial amount of time attending high school and AAU games and directly recruiting his players.

According to you, he'll never work with student athletes ever again.  And yet, he works with children every day in his current role.  What a monster.

Coaching personnel changes are NOT made all of the time in November.  In fact, these changes are hardly ever made in November.  Even Strickland's departure which was deemed so late in the game took place in mid-October.

If Nima has another coaching job, no media outlet has reported it.  I have heard from multiple sources what an inspiring man Nima is, including from one of his former players and this young man's parents.  That's why I am very curious as to what happened.  And as I said, I am not asking anyone to break a vote of confidence.

11/17/2020 9:29 am  #29

Gentlemen, if you would like to change this thread from Nima to ML, feel free to do it as a separate argument in the Rewind section of this board.  If there are any additional posts in this thread about ML, and not about Nima's departure, I will delete all of the posts, lock the thread, and consider banning people from the site.  

Take it to Rewind where the rest of us who live in the present don't have to see it.

Thank you.

Barry

11/17/2020 10:15 am  #30

Thanks Barry. 

12/14/2020 7:43 am  #31

Stirring the pot:
@CoachingChanges 
Jamion Christian goes in and loses to Delaware, If your counting that’s losses to Colonial Big South Northeast

Karma is a bitch and we know somewhere Nima like

12/14/2020 8:29 am  #32

That's an ominous and odd tweet, much like the disappearance.
On the plus side,the tweet right below it about a local team is excellent.

12/14/2020 10:16 am  #33

Unless @CoachingChanges is making baseless assumptions, we can now conclude that Nima's departure was not likely to be a mutual decision.  Or at the very least, there are folks out there who believe Nima was wronged.

Again, Nima left the team approximately two weeks before the start of the season.  I can't overemphasize how unusual it is for a coach to either be terminated or resign two weeks before the start of a season. He doesn't have another coaching job because what coaching jobs are open two weeks before the start of a season?  Sure a coach might leave due to health reasons, emergency situation, etc.  But this does not seem to be the case..Two weeks before the start of a season is crazy.  Pete Strickland left ML's staff around 6 weeks before the start of a season and that seemed crazy.

And once again, this same program that wants your support, wants you to buy season tickets, and wants your donations, refuses to level with its fan base.  Am I really the only person that would like to know what happened to a guy who with all due respect to Coach Devlin and Coach Bousley, was the assistant coach most likely to publicly represent GW by participating in media interviews, podcasts, etc.?  He also appeared to be the assistant coach who was most directly impacting recruiting.  This guy went from bleeding buff and blue one minute to vanishing the next.

By not disclosing any information, the assumption is that something negative took place and the athletic department would rather sweep this under the rug and move on than honestly inform those interested in the program as to why Nima is no longer coaching at GW.  And then, a site that's known for being a clearinghouse of coaching information (but admittedly is not above making speculative remarks) reminds us that Karma is a Bitch with regard to our on-court performance this season coupled with Nima's exit.  Ouch.

After everything this program has been through over the past 15 years, starting with Omargate and continuing with ML/PN, I'd like to think this program might be a bit more forthcoming with information by now.  Even when it's bad news, I'm sure we can handle it.

Last edited by Gwmayhem (12/14/2020 11:07 am)

12/14/2020 11:17 am  #34

would it be speculation that Nima's departure and GW's poor performance are correlated?

12/14/2020 11:43 am  #35

Gwmayhem wrote:

Unless @CoachingChanges is making baseless assumptions, we can now conclude that Nima's departure was not likely to be a mutual decision.  Or at the very least, there are folks out there who believe Nima was wronged.

Again, Nima left the team approximately two weeks before the start of the season.  I can't overemphasize how unusual it is for a coach to either be terminated or resign two weeks before the start of a season. He doesn't have another coaching job because what coaching jobs are open two weeks before the start of a season?  Sure a coach might leave due to health reasons, emergency situation, etc.  But this does not seem to be the case..Two weeks before the start of a season is crazy.  Pete Strickland left ML's staff around 6 weeks before the start of a season and that seemed crazy.

And once again, this same program that wants your support, wants you to buy season tickets, and wants your donations, refuses to level with its fan base.  Am I really the only person that would like to know what happened to a guy who with all due respect to Coach Devlin and Coach Bousley, was the assistant coach most likely to publicly represent GW by participating in media interviews, podcasts, etc.?  He also appeared to be the assistant coach who was most directly impacting recruiting.  This guy went from bleeding buff and blue one minute to vanishing the next.

By not disclosing any information, the assumption is that something negative took place and the athletic department would rather sweep this under the rug and move on than honestly inform those interested in the program as to why Nima is no longer coaching at GW.  And then, a site that's known for being a clearinghouse of coaching information (but admittedly is not above making speculative remarks) reminds us that Karma is a Bitch with regard to our on-court performance this season coupled with Nima's exit.  Ouch.

After everything this program has been through over the past 15 years, starting with Omargate and continuing with ML/PN, I'd like to think this program might be a bit more forthcoming with information by now.  Even when it's bad news, I'm sure we can handle it.

Unfortunately Gwmayhem University personnel decisions are not discussed publicly and I think you know that. Coaching Changes is a site that often engages in wild speculation. Do you remember how they characterized ML?

That said, I don't think this is the scandal of century or that GW's performance on the court has suffered anymore than it would have otherwise. Nima's strengths were more geared to recruiting than in-game coaching.

12/14/2020 11:51 am  #36

I'd add that by 33, Jamion Christian had more NCAA tourney wins, one, than ML will ever have, since he was fired 5 years ago in his 50s, without having ever won an NCAA tourney game, and will never ever Coach again.

JC will bring GW back up, but rebuilding takes time.  I recall two seasons of ML with a ton of losing, and some embarrassing losses, even in 2013, a 17 loss team, after a 21 loss season, with a roster that had Isiah Armwood, Kevin Larsen, Lasan Kromah, Pato Garino, Kethan Savage, Joe McDonald, because even assembling lots of talent, it takes time for that talent to gel together. 

Same will happen with JC, even when we have better talent, which we badly need, the gelling of the talent into a good TEAM will take time.

Last edited by The Dude (12/14/2020 11:56 am)

12/14/2020 1:10 pm  #37

GWRIsing, I'll start with you.  I need to count on you to not believe ridiculous notions that The Dude has attributed to me.  Nowhere have I implied, suggested, or directly said that our on court performance so far this season is the result of Nima no longer being on the coaching staff.  My post had everything to do with attempting to find out why Nima was so mysteriously gone from the program so closely before the start of the season.  Nowhere did it even come close to suggesting that our problems are the result of Nima no longer being involved.  Coaching Changes came up with the Bad Karma line which only fueled my desire to get to the bottom of this.  As for personnel decisions not being discussed, my response to this is that this is up to the school.  We both know that at a large public university, we would have an answer to this.  This may very well be GW's policy but it does not have to be this way.  That is their choice and as one of the not nearly enough people who follow and support this program, I'll say that it's a shitty policy.  I realize that there are some issues that should not be public but I don't think we see this Bad Karma post if this was one of those instances.  For example, I don't think Nima got arrested, the school chose to cut ties but kept the issue private to protect Nima, and then we see this bad karma post. 

Dude, I guess my reaction to you is that I can grudgingly put up with your lack of knowledge, your mindless cheerleading, and your trolling in general.  But when you start lying at my expense, when you start attributing things that I posted when this was never the case, I guess that's when I need to speak up.  I'd ask you to take notes so that you don't make the same mistakes again, if I thought for a moment that these were mistakes in the first place.  No, I think these are very purposeful lies on your part in your effort to troll here.  So taking notes will not do any good when you're just going to repeat your ridiculous behavior again and again.

First, I never ever wrote that two ML assistants left him in the middle of a season.  In fact, it was YOU who wrote that, I believe GWRising questioned it at the time, and of course, you chose not to answer because what answer could you provide other than how wrong you were.  The next time you acknowledge being wrong about anything will be the first time.  I have consistently stated that Strickland left the team roughly 6 weeks before the start of a season and as for Sutton, he left after a season was completed.  Those are facts Dude so you understand; you really can't offer an opinion as to when a coach left a position.  And typing it over and over again does not make it any more true.

Next, the A10 media and coaches poll did not pick GW to finish last in the conference.  They picked GW to finish 11th out of 14.  Here's a link just in case you need any proof:    https://goexplorers.com/news/2020/11/9/mens-basketball-atlantic-10-announced-2020-21-preseason-media-coaches-poll.aspx

In fact, just about every preseason poll had GW finishing in 10th or 11th.  I may have seen one that had us finishing in 9th and did not see any that had us worse than 11th.  Again, it can not be your opinion that the coaches and media picked GW to finish in last place.  I know this is resembling what one might go over in 5th grade English class, the differences between facts and opinions, but I'm happy to take the time to review this with you Dude since after so many years, you still seem to have problems distinguishing between the two.

I'll just add that yes, as you say, we are presently playing like the 14th best team in the conference.  And that is part of why so many are frustrated by our play, because by all accounts, we are supposed to be better than this.

Third, not to draw a political analogy, but you do seem to have mastered the art of committing an offense and denying this, while simultaneously pointing your fingers at others and claiming that they are the ones committing the same offense.  To suggest that the board is bored with this is a major understatement.  Suffice it to say that we both know what the real truth is.  I do not post as anyone else and I don't believe that GWRising or Long Suffering Fan does so either.  You on the other hand, have been guilty of this for years.  And as I said, we both know the real truth here.

Finally, Jamion Christian has more NCAA tourney win than Mike Lonergan?  Seems to me that Mike Lonergan won an NCAA national championship so once again, you are factually incorrect.  And since I'm a reasonable person, I'll save you the trouble.  Yes, this was a Division 3 Championship which is important because if I were to say time and again that Mike Lonergan had won a national championship implying that this had been a Division 1 championship, I might be technically correct about winning a national championship but on the whole, this would be disingenuous of me.  The very same way that you've said, on a number of occasions, that JC already has an NCAA tournament victory which ML does not have.  That win was in a play-in game, pitting what may have amounted to say the 150th best team in the country beating the 151st best team, or something to this effect.  So yes, you are technically correct in saying that JC has one more D1 tournament win than ML the same way that one can say that ML has more overall NCAA tournament wins.  Nevertheless, it is disingenuous of you to imply that JC somehow has a better coaching record, or is a better coach than ML because he won a single play-in game. 

Last point, you do seem to be on another misguided crusade that I have it in for JC.  This can not possibly be futher from the truth.  I am rooting hard for JC's success, the same way that I've rooted success from all GW coaches, because this would simply mean that the program I support would be doing well.  Your problem is that when the coach gets criticized after a series of losses to programs that we frankly should not be losing to, your deranged interpretation of this is that people like me want the coach to fail, and you trace this back to Lonergan.  (It's reminiscent of Trump supporters claiming that the only reason why Trump has critics is because the critics are not over Hillary.  Believe it or not, Trump is more than capable of being criticized for reasons having nothing to do with Hillary, and JC may also receive criticisms for reasons having nothing to do with Lonergan's dismissal.)

Nevertheless, I do have a different theory about you.  My theory is that for the purposes of participating on a message board, you just simply choose to be a troll.  I am very convinced that despite our 1-4 start, if all posts here were supportive of JC, keep the chin up and all that good stuff, you would go the opposite way.  You'd be criticizing JC and wondering how we could all be so supportive despite our play.  Because that's what a troll does.  He just wants to go the opposite way that everyone else is going.  

I'm guessing you pride yourself in being so difficult to figure out but in actuality, you're really quite a simpleton Dude. 

Last edited by Gwmayhem (12/14/2020 2:01 pm)

12/14/2020 2:17 pm  #38

5 seasons later we are still talking about ML. Sad.

The dude with one of his periodic meltdowns. It's killing him not to be able to post using 20 different names like he did on the old site. Funny how he never posts after we get beat by low level teams in the Patriot, Colonial and MEAC Conferences. Dude, take it easy. ML moved on long ago and seems to be enjoying his retirement with the golden handshake courtesy of an inept GW administration. Even Nero made out and was given over a $million to go away quietly. Get counseling before you stroke out!

Just saw the William and Mary game was cancelled. Probably a good thing for us.

12/14/2020 3:20 pm  #39

Gentlemen, it appears that this debate has started to fall off the deep end again.  While I respect defending oneself from disagreements by others on the board, let's be civil.

Specifically, I would like to address ThomasFromBowie.  As you have just registered for the board and immediately attacked another user, and as you created a new email address to register, it raises suspicion that you are an active user who has created a second handle.  Add to that the fact the the ThomasFromBowie handle was not active on the previous board, even more concern.  Not saying this is the case, but the suspicion is there based upon past board experience.  Regardless, my primary rule on this site is don't be an ass, and don't attack others.  

Although I wish GW Mayhem had not insinuated anything about Dude, I must respect that he was defending his past position.  Joel Joseph is right...why are we still talking about ML in relation to anything other than his on-court success, or something new that is of importance?  

ThomasFromBowie, when you're first board comment is to call someone an idiot, that's a problem.  You've inserted yourself into an ongoing argument between two board members, and you are only inflaming that situation.  You needn't have gone there, but especially not in the way you did.

With that, this is the only warning any of the three of you will get (Dude, Mayhem, Bowie).  Add another insult or attack and you will be banned from the site for a period of time to be determined.  

Gentlemen, be gentlemen.  Thanks.

12/14/2020 3:56 pm  #40

Gwmayhem, just to clarify that I've learned not to believe almost anything about what another poster says about you or any other poster. In addition, to be clear, I wasn't claiming you said that JC's coaching was affected by the departure, I was making the point that it was not affected.

Thomas from Bowie .., perhaps you would like to tell the GW world what the b.s. reasons were so everyone can decide whether they were b.s. reasons rather than just relying on your conclusions since you have no previous posting record here. Also, I hate to break it to you but having followed GW for many years, no credible local AAU/HS coaches really care about any GW drama. It would actually be nice if they cared more lol.

Board footera