GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/14/2020 4:07 pm  #41

Re: Nima Omidvar

ThomasFromBowie wrote:

Barry-You don't like when people post the truth? Are you paid by the University? Why is it ok for people to post that ML should have been fired because he abused players when you know it isn't true.  ML used to talk to you after games and was kind to you yet you allow lies to continue to be posted on here.  Why? When someone writes a factual post you get a little nervous. Why?  ML did not abuse players and all of us know he should never have been fired. It was a travesty and the truth has come out even if you don't allow it to be posted on here. I think the people that really care about the university and program want to know the truth. For example, Nima was fired.  He went from being the energizer bunny for the program to being erased completely.  Sound familiar?  Strickland quit because he lost his work ethic and wanted to watch his son play in college. Sutton left for a 60% raise at Georgetown in May when assistants move on. Comparing their departures to an unexplained departure of the most visible assistant coach at the start of the season is humorous. Just like comparing ML's first 2 seasons to this debacle. ML recruited legitimate student athletes who were high level DI players and he played a great schedule. The A10 was a 4-5 bid league then. Now it is a 2 bid league and we play a weak schedule. You can't hide from the truth. No player has ever come out and said ML abused them in any way. You know he got screwed by your beloved university and you know why. Surely you have read the Deadspin article by now. Why don't you call Nima and ask him why Jamion fired him? Why don't you let people post if they expose the incompetency of GW staff and administrators? I won't call anyone an idiot but I will continue to post the truth. There is a reason Toro, Marfo, Smith, Mazulla, Goss, Roland, Sina, Bolden and Rogers left and it wasn't because of ML. Actually it was-they would have stayed to play for him. Darnell is finally healthy and having a good season. He would probably be GW's best player right now although he would have been ML's backup pt guard to Sina for 2 seasons. I admit my man Darnell had his worst game this season against GW but he is very good. People who know basketball know that. Why don't you let people post about how he was rejected 3 weeks before his freshman classes started despite already being accepted as a full qualifier and signing a NLI? That would expose more wrongdoing which you don't allow. So go ahead and let people post false information and pretend he isn't a good player. His dad was the best player in program hstory and what was done to his son is unforgiveable. Facts. 

I thought this thread was about Nima leaving. None of what happened to ML has anything to do with JC, Nima, or the current team. JC did not follow ML, he followed Mojo. PN is no longer the AD. Maltzman is gone. Knapp is gone. Not sure of what the relevance of the ML saga to today is here. Can we stipulate that ML was treated badly and move on? Not sure what else you expect anyone else to do. Is GW supposed to stop playing basketball because a previous administration made some poor decisions and was forced to pay ML his contract? Just not sure why this continually needs to be re-litigated here and I personally thought ML did a great job and was screwed. Maybe I missed it but did JC say something bad about ML?

Last edited by GWRising (12/14/2020 4:09 pm)

12/14/2020 4:22 pm  #42

Well I just look at the facts. Brayon Freeman, a local kid, signed his NLI after Nima departed. Bishop was a JC recruit same with Ball/Brown as JC was recruiting both to Siena, Brelsford was a JC guy. Amir Harris another JC recruit through JC's former roommate. JC is reportedly tight with Clatchey. Chase Paar came through Mojo. That about covers all the local kids. Am I missing any? The only one who has yet to play is Lindo who probably came through a Nima contact. I would say JC has enough local contacts. 

12/14/2020 5:33 pm  #43

Barry, time to delete this thread. It's now spun out of control.
Every month or so the irrelevant dude has to strike out at ML (he must of turned dude down to be team manager or something).
We have more pressing things to think about - like stopping this losing streak. Not a pissing match about how JC's play-in game win at MSMU is better than ML's post season NIT win, etc.
JC is our coach for the next couple years and needs our support.

12/14/2020 6:06 pm  #44

Won't get into a debate about Nima.  Never met the guy, never said anything about him that was or wasn't true.  I think, with Nima's friend from Bowie indicating as much as we likely will ever know (officially or unofficially), I will close this thread.   

However, I will answer Bowie's direct questions posed to me.  Bowie, if you feel like debating me, please start a new thread.  But don't be the problem...be the solution to the problems we had on the other board that I'm trying to prevent here.  Thanks.  

My answers in blue.

Barry-You don't like when people post the truth? Are you paid by the University? Why is it ok for people to post that ML should have been fired because he abused players when you know it isn't true. 
Actually, that's exactly what I want.  I like the truth.  Hate rumors.  But also I have a problem with attacks of individuals on this board.  We're adults and we should act like it.  If you don't like that, too bad.  My board, my rules.  Also, unsubstantiated truths are as good as rumors.

No player has ever come out and said ML abused them in any way. You know he got screwed by your beloved university and you know why.
Actually, I only know what has been admitted to; everything else is hearsay.  But I do know one thing...this is old news and rehashing a he said/she said is just silly.  

Why don't you let people post if they expose the incompetency of GW staff and administrators?
Tell you what..I'll do that the moment posters like you use your real names when joining the board, and use their actual email addresses instead of creating a burner account just to be on the board.  Have some stones and acknowledge who you are if you're going to have the gall to get on here and start spouting inflammatory stories (whether they're true or not).  

That would expose more wrongdoing which you don't allow. 
If GW administrators committed wrongdoing, I have no problem with the information coming out.  I just don't want it to be spread rumor-like, unsubstantiated.  The only thing I don't allow is assholish behavior.  .  

His dad was the best player in program hstory and what was done to his son is unforgiveable.
AMEN!  On this we agree.  Seemed like an all-together decent guy whenever I casually spoke with him in the Smith Center.  Would have loved to have had Darnell at GW, both for basketball reasons and for the sense of nostalgic appreciation I (and others!) have for Shawnta.  But that ship sailed along with all the other players who have transferred out and into greater success. 

5/25/2021 5:59 pm  #45

Jon Rothstein[/url][url=https://twitter.com/JonRothstein]@JonRothstein·5m  Source: Fordham's Kyle Neptune is expected to hire Nima Omidvar as Director of Basketball Operations. Deep Northeast ties.

I believe DOBO cant recruit but I might be wrong

5/25/2021 6:21 pm  #46

Good find.
Interesting that Fordham hired him

5/25/2021 8:54 pm  #47

Ok ladies has it been long enough? Why did he get canned? 

5/26/2021 11:15 am  #48

Whatever it was that got him canned, must have been something legit. If he’s not getting another assistant coach job and taking DOBO at Fordham, that suggests to me his hiring prospects were much less than I’d have thought.  Seems like a promising coach and recruiter.

5/26/2021 8:05 pm  #49

Is director of basketball operations really a step down? not sure what the title entails but it does sound sleepier than being on the road recruiting and coaching. And with a school like Fordham...it's like being the YMCA superintendant 

5/27/2021 6:23 am  #50

Yes. DOBO is lower level than assistant coach.  It’s an entry level job in college basketball. 

Right now our assistant coaches are Graham Bousely, Ryan Devlin, and newly hired Eric Atkins. The DOBO is Lauren Shear, a 2017 GW graduate who worked in the athletic department for a couple of years before JC hired her.

5/27/2021 7:53 am  #51

And to clarify, DOBO's are not permitted to go on the road to recruit.

DOBO's handle all of the team's travel and hotel arrangements, etc.  Some may also help organize game film and recruiting videos, and a basketball-savvy one like Nima may assist the coaching staff with breaking down the film. (Or, is it tape nowadays?)

Taking this job gives me cause to wonder whether Nima has been suspended from coaching for a certain period of time, or if he's being blackballed from the profession.  It does seem odd that someone with his credentials would be taking the DOBO job at Fordham unless there were simply no coaching jobs available to him.

6/17/2021 5:09 pm  #52

6/17/2021 10:08 pm  #53

Ramily is pretty clever.

Board footera