GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/09/2020 11:54 am  #21

Re: Words from our Athletic Director

Thank you Dr.Mike for bringing this article to our attention.  I can't help but think that our forefathers who created the Constitution could not have possibly known what life was going to be like in 2020.  Freedom of Speech apparently means all speech since the Constitution failed to mention any exclusions.  Nevertheless, at some point, I think we would all do ourselves a favor by moving away from certain aspects of the Constitution and instead focus on right or wrong.  Can a case ever be made for hate speech being right, or acceptable?  How about bigoted speech?  Anyone have any fine examples of this?

I applaud Xavier University's decision on the grounds that freedom of speech does not mean freedom of consequences.  At the same time, I am troubled by the notion that it is easier to rescind the scholarship of an incoming student than that of a returning student for committing the same offense.  I understand the distinction but colleges must do their part in recognizing that racism and bigotry should be considered zero-tolerance offenses.  Doing so would lead to less vile social media posts, which would certainly be a step in the right direction.

Board footera