GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/25/2020 10:41 am  #1

Today's Trivia

We can probably all use a fun distraction.  Remember, anyone can look up the answer to a trivia question.  So, try not to do this.

In 2020, an entity (I won't say who) came up with the best athlete to wear each number, from 0 and 00 through 99, within the DMV.  Eligible answers came from MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL and college football and basketball.  A winner was decided on by a panel with several names receiving Honorable Mentions.

While unfortunately, no GW can claim to be the greatest area athlete to wear a certain number, there were four GW basketball players who received honorable mentions.  Can you name the four GW players, the numbers that they wore, and the DMV associated athlete who received the top honor wearing this number?

6/26/2020 12:25 pm  #2

Re: Today's Trivia

No idea. I'll guess a couple though.

I'll guess Yinka Dare with #33. The best #33 being awarded to Sammy Baugh.
Pops at #21 with Sean Taylor the winner.

6/26/2020 4:07 pm  #3

Off to a great start Geno.  Yinka wearing #33 is one of the 4 Colonials but he lost out to a different athlete wearing #33.

Pops is the second honorable mention and he did lose out to Sean Taylor.

6/26/2020 4:12 pm  #4

My apologies to Geno and anyone else giving this any thought.  I forgot to mention that only athletes within the past fifty years were included in this exercise.  Which explains why Sammy Baugh was not considered.

In the words of Maxwell Smart, sorry about that.

6/26/2020 4:15 pm  #5

Shawnta Roger - #54
Tyler Cavanaugh - #34

6/26/2020 4:19 pm  #6

Or Mike Brown #40 instead of Ty

6/26/2020 4:29 pm  #7

Gwmayhem wrote:

My apologies to Geno and anyone else giving this any thought.  I forgot to mention that only athletes within the past fifty years were included in this exercise.  Which explains why Sammy Baugh was not considered.

In the words of Maxwell Smart, sorry about that.

I was very confident in the #33 answer and was just guessing at #21 haha.

For #33 I can't think of any Wizards/Bullets or Caps greats and I think 33 is the only number retired for the NFL team (Sammy Baugh). It's gotta be Ewing. 

6/26/2020 4:33 pm  #8

Ty Cavanaugh and Bryce Harper at #34?

6/28/2020 9:24 am  #9

Here are some updates on the trivia question.

Geno is correct that the top ranked #33 is Patrick Ewing.

Ty is incorrect.  Len Bias is the best #34; Bryce did receive an honorable mention.

Good guess by Porter71 on Mike Brown.  It's incorrect but it's also a glaring omission IMO.  Wilson Ramos took the top honor for a #40 while Calbert Cheaney and Alvin Walton were the honorable mentions.  One could argue that Brownie should have been the top selection (certainly Cheaney had the better college career but wasn't Mike's college career in DC better than Cheaney's pro career in DC?)

Well done Porter71 on Shawnta, the third correct answer.  So, we just need who the top ranked #54 was (since Shawnta received honorable mention) and who the fourth Colonial was, their number, and who beat that player out for the top honor.

Last edited by Gwmayhem (6/28/2020 9:25 am)

6/28/2020 7:58 pm  #10

I think Brian Uhrlacher wore #54.   If it’s not him, I assume it’s another defensive football player.

6/29/2020 8:33 am  #11

As a reminder, all answers are affiliated with the DMV, so let's limit this to having played either in college or professionally in DC, Maryland or Virginia.  And since all answers including the GW players will have played within the past 50 years, you will not need to look up Red Auerbach's number or find an old GW Football roster.  So to recap, here's where you are at:

Pops..........Sean Taylor (#21)

Yinka.........Patrick Ewing (#33)

Shawnta........      ?      (#54)

4th Player............?       (#?)

Good luck.

6/29/2020 9:36 am  #12

The well is dry.

#RaiseHigh

6/29/2020 10:05 am  #13

Yegor Mescheriakov 55 ... Chris Hanburger (HOF) Redskins 55 ????

6/29/2020 10:59 am  #14

Good guess GWRising as Hanburger was in fact the best #55.  Honorable mentions were Roy Hibbert, Dikembe Mutombo, Albert King, Sergei Gonchar, and Jai Lewis but sadly, no Yegor.  Not sure that Lewis had a better college career than Yegor but being a senior on Mason's Final 4 team is likely what gave him an edge.

6/30/2020 9:59 am  #15

Time for a few hints.

The top ranked #54 who bested Shawnta was an athlete who remained in the public eye after his playing days were over.

The fourth GW player may require you to think a bit outside of the box.

6/30/2020 12:39 pm  #16

Gwmayhem wrote:

Time for a few hints.

The top ranked #54 who bested Shawnta was an athlete who remained in the public eye after his playing days were over.

The fourth GW player may require you to think a bit outside of the box.

Tom McMillen???? Think he wore 54 on Bullets. Not sure he should have bested Shawnta though.

Chris Monroe #4 Moses Malone #4 Bullets????

6/30/2020 1:24 pm  #17

McMillen is the correct #54.  You might be looking through some buff and blue colored glasses though if you think Shawnta should have beaten out Tom.  McMillen was a three time All American and a member of the 1972 Olympic basketball team.  He also went on to play in the NBA.  As great as Shawnta was, it's hard to argue this call.

Chris Monroe and #4 is incorrect.  Remember, my cryptic hint is to think outside the box.

6/30/2020 4:49 pm  #18

Could the other player be Ms. Jones with number 35?

6/30/2020 4:55 pm  #19

If it wasn't just basketball players I would have thought they would have selected Meyers Taylor. How many former DMV team members have three Olympic medals.

7/01/2020 9:00 am  #20

Well done ppeck56.  The 4th Colonial is in fact #35, Jonquel Jones.  We have one more part of the question left.  Since JJ received an Honorable Mention, who was appointed the top #35 in the DMV?  (Hint:  Since this is limited to those who played in the DMV either in college and/or professionally, Kevin Durant can not be the correct answer.  Plus, he has changed his # to 7 anyway.)

Board footera