GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?



7/21/2020 3:47 pm  #21


Re: Say Goodbye to the Colonials Name

Does anybody wonder what the world of the future is going to think about us when they look at what we are allowing to happen. I hope that we will be considered the most insane ever.

Stop the lunacy!!

 

7/21/2020 5:07 pm  #22


Re: Say Goodbye to the Colonials Name

Don't make me laugh.We are what we do today. If the school is concerned about the school is viewed, then just be more supportive the people in the city--become more welcoming to people from all parts of our broad  society.. As they say, lead with your actions. Changing the name is a news cycle act.

Last edited by russianthistle (7/21/2020 5:07 pm)

 

7/21/2020 6:21 pm  #23


Re: Say Goodbye to the Colonials Name

BGF wrote:

Gwmayhem wrote:

BGF, I will bite.  Why must it be changed? 

Actually, I agree with you completely.  My argument is that the name should remain Colonials.  But, I am expecting that the powers that be will disagree.  I will always think of us as the Colonials and hope the name remains.

However, when (if) it doesn't, we should look at how to turn this into a marketing opportunity.  

Barry

Barry, I feel mostly the same as you about this. However, in today's world many people, although I think mainly people of color, are rightly starting to question so many American symbols and names, which were mostly established by white people. I can't speak for anyone other than me, but it hurts me and a lot of good people I know to every day see the reverence the country pays to confederate soldiers and the owners of slaves.  I feel many of our great GW basketball players feel the same way, but of course I could be incorrect about that.  So, if the university decides to change the nickname, I understand many people will be upset for many reasons. Some will be upset because they don't mind it if the name "Colonials" makes someone, or some group of people, feel uncomfortable or badly. Others will be upset because they rightly see the good things associated with the nickname.  But there will also be other people that will feel more included and more valued if the moniker is changed.  I don't think it's stupid if the name is changed and I'm fine with whatever decision the university makes.

 

7/21/2020 8:41 pm  #24


Re: Say Goodbye to the Colonials Name

This is the kind of crap that drives me crazy.Its the kind of situation that gives the “right” fodder.
Like TC I  graduated with a degree in History (concentration Russian revolutionary history)then came back to 
pick up courses I needed for my future career..As a therapist it’s OK for a while to let your patient hold 
on to whatever reality they choose-but at some point the difference between what’s”real” and what’s””true”
becomes paramount to their well being even if they are resistant at first.For instance someonethinksthey areJesus Christ -that’s “real” to them,but it isn’t “true”.This person would probably be considered psychotic.
we all have to check ourselves all day long to make sure that what’s real and and what’s true are as close to 
the same as possible.Whats real and true is that the name Colonial is perfectly reasonable.Their are few
definitions of good Mental Health -but if someone’s reality i(what’s in their head )corresponds to what’s true-
the better they are able to function.Lets not give in to this psychosis!!

 

7/21/2020 9:53 pm  #25


Re: Say Goodbye to the Colonials Name

GW69 - the problem that we have now is that there are those who demand that everyone agree with and accept the reality in their head...no matter if it's the truth or not. A psychotic is an ill person, and I'm willing to call them Jesus if they want me to call them Jesus. But society (as well as GW) is not only calling them Jesus, but praying to them. We can't bend to everyone's psychotic reality. The sane have to maintain reality, or we won't have a "real" reality any more.

Oh and Russian T, you are so right. Is changing the nickname of The George Washington University going to change a thing in the greater picture? Of course not. Rather than deal with the nickname, make the school better. Help the locals learn. I'll bet you that there are some DC public school kids who could use a good tudor. Some hungry who could use food. Do good, don't do BS.

Last edited by chrisw (7/21/2020 9:58 pm)

 

7/21/2020 10:23 pm  #26


Re: Say Goodbye to the Colonials Name

Lot of good comments here for those who choose to participate. This is really disturbing because it is based not on justice, but ignorance.

Poog wrote:

Have to admit I find this review of “Colonials” to be nonsensical, exceeded in stupidity only by any introduction of “hippos” into the conversation.

A small, seemingly ignorant group of students and some professors right out of the stereotypical handbook encourage it too. Believe the petition bar was set very low. This review or investigation best not be cooked, as the things seem to often be. The committee may presage action, since it's easier to give into the mob, however small, than defend something that seems inappropriate to anyone who hasn't fully embraced their expensive education. 
 Not worth going into the stupidity of the idea that Colonials is wrong. But it seems to be based on the thought that Colonials can be seen as colonizers, particularly overseas. Actually, people overseas who care about these things are better educated about American history and most know a lot about America, even if we know nothing about their country. So this straw man argument doesn't work. Do they have some sort of remedial American history course the students who are pushing this nonsense can take?
Again, if we were the Colonizers, have at it. Change the name. But don't think that would have escaped most of the people on this board who would not stand for it, as students or alumni. But actually the Colonials were oppressed or certainly saw themselves that way. So it has the opposite meaning of what the idiots seeking to change the name are saying. That this is not apparent to students or faculty promoting a $75,000 a year education and getting the same degree as we did when there were at least some academic standards, is disheartening.
  If one wants to discussed Cloyd Heck Marvin or whatever his name was, and remove him, that's fine. May well be long overdue. And even Madison, Monroe Hall, etc. can be at least fodder for discussion. Even George Washington mis a topic for debate, though removing the name might be a bit tricky at The George Washington University. But educated people can discuss it--and there have been thoughtful comments here about it.
  But leave the Colonials alone, ignorant wannabe "Hippos."
  Frankly, the students have no more right to their input on this than alumni. Less so, because they haven't graduated yet. This does not concern living conditions, dorms, current course or the lack of any cafeteria for plentiful and affordable food,which they may want to look into if they lack something to do. This is our school and the team name.
It's not a transient thing. So alumni get equal and extra weight. Not that GW ever gave much of a damn about the bulk of its alumni in its incredibly weak efforts.
  This is going to cost the school money if it happens. Not just to redo uniforms, etc. Donors, including many here won't take well to this. Universities do and should take this into account. Not if it was a moral imperative. But this isn't even Princeton taking the name off the Wilson School because of Woodrow Wilson. There is no intelligent justification made so far about the Colonial name. Other than it sounds like something else. 
Basically, the school has done everything it could to turn us off GW basketball. Being a fan, a supporter and for many here, a donor, is a real challenge normally. But especially the past five years of coverups, recriminations, lack of information,etc. Plus we have frankly sucked, though our loyalties (to the Colonials) has survived the suckig. It's the other nonsense that is really disturbing--and more of the previous dysfunction keeps getting revealed.
 GW basketball keeps shooting itself in the foot with its dozens of loyal fans and it gets harder and harder to take, especially when things actually could be looking up.
   Glad to support genuine student activism on whatever side, as long as they are within the bounds of decency--and sometimes they aren't. Actually a bit proud of it, often. Making a difference in America is what many went to GW to do.
   But seriously, this is your stand? Society is crumbling, with the fabric torn more than anytime in recent history.
The '60s are starting to look like a walk in the park. Race relations are terrible and the divide is fueled from a few blocks away. People are out of work, we are relitigating the Civil War for some reason. Work to eliminate public symbols of the Confederacy if you think that will help the divide. Over 140,000 Americans have died and countless injured permanently--and the toll increase every day with no clear strategy to stop it.
   If GW starts in the fall, it won't end normally, and it will be at the risk of students and faculty/staff, in particular.
The odds are really good that there won't be GW basketball in November, anyway, and if there somehow is, spectators may not be allowed to see it. Again, the whole school year and living in school is in turmoil. Like America.
   We have an election coming up. A number of people here were in the protests of the 60's and early 70's where GW was a focus point. Right now, unidentified federal forces are on the streets, including reports now say Washington, right where GW is located. There is an election in 2020 that may well hinge on the future of our democracy.
   But, hey students, with everything going on, expend all this energy on changing the name from Colonials. Even if they were revolutionaries, not what you are trying to say they represent. Because the words sound alike.
Bravo. That will really make a difference.
 
 

 

 

7/22/2020 12:31 pm  #27


Re: Say Goodbye to the Colonials Name

OK. In respect for all my Russian and Eastern European teachers at GW (Thompson, Petrov etc.) I like the name Counter-Revolutionaries. Now, does that mean Menshevicks,sp.  Whites, Anarchists, Kolchaks whatever? As for the guys in Portland, we had the CDU guys who were really dangerous. No comparison.

 

7/22/2020 12:31 pm  #28


Re: Say Goodbye to the Colonials Name

My vote is for Generals. 

 

7/22/2020 1:46 pm  #29


Re: Say Goodbye to the Colonials Name

T.C.—Ronald Thompson and Vladimir Petrov were two of my favorite all time professors.
Petrov had the most amazing life!!Check out the write up on Wikipedia on “Professor Vladimir Petrov”.
Truly astonishing .Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

 

7/22/2020 5:37 pm  #30


Re: Say Goodbye to the Colonials Name

Just an update. I have pretty good sources throughout the University who tell me there is growing push back at changing the Colonials moniker. My understanding is some pretty significant donors and influencers at GW have weighed in. To change the name, the cost could approach $2,000,000. This consists of uniform changes, trademarks, logo design, changes to athletics facilities, etc. Many are upset that their donations would go towards these costs and not supporting our student athletes, especially in this era of COVID-19 and huge budgetary pressures on Universities. We might have to cut sports to make this happen. 
 

 

7/22/2020 8:10 pm  #31


Re: Say Goodbye to the Colonials Name

I really have to laugh at the idea of naming our teams the Generals.  Do people not remember the Washington Generals or something?  And to be clear, I'm one more liberal person who strongly believes we should keep Colonials.

 

7/23/2020 9:58 am  #32


Re: Say Goodbye to the Colonials Name

If we were to change, I would prefer something more action-oriented, like the Pythons or Cobras.  

 

7/23/2020 10:04 am  #33


Re: Say Goodbye to the Colonials Name

Leave it to the school to make the right decision (no change to the name) for the wrong reason (money).  Given how the past 5 years have gone, I'd gladly take it.

Just wanted to also applaud Poog for finding the right words that i had trouble articulating.  Earlier in the thread, I had mentioned that I was against changing the name of the school entirely even if I could better understand this.  The reason I am against this is despite how horrific slavery was and how obvious it is today to condemn it, it was in fact acceptable in George Washington's day and part of the economy.  It would be like chastising cigarette smokers back when nobody knew that smoking could be detrimental towards one's health.

 

7/23/2020 10:29 am  #34


Re: Say Goodbye to the Colonials Name

Gwmayhem wrote:

It would be like chastising cigarette smokers back when nobody knew that smoking could be detrimental towards one's health.

This may be the worst take I've ever read.

 

7/23/2020 10:46 am  #35


Re: Say Goodbye to the Colonials Name

Hugh wrote:

Gwmayhem wrote:

It would be like chastising cigarette smokers back when nobody knew that smoking could be detrimental towards one's health.

This may be the worst take I've ever read.

Agreed. Not a good analogy at all. Cigarette smoking was not intended to control or harm someone else.In fact, the harms of cigarette smoking were first thought to be personal only. It was only later that second hand smoke was determined to be harmful. Slavery was slavery and it was designed to solely benefit the slave owner at the sole expense of the slave. It never changed despite being legal. The two are not remotely close.

Last edited by GWRising (7/23/2020 11:02 am)

 

7/23/2020 11:05 am  #36


Re: Say Goodbye to the Colonials Name

GW Revolution sounds good too.  

 

7/23/2020 2:23 pm  #37


Re: Say Goodbye to the Colonials Name

Lighten up boys.  Do you really think my intent was to undermine the awful nature of slavery, or accept it today in any way?  Or that cigarette smoking today is as serious a problem as slavery was in earlier times?  The parallel is that at one point in time, a certain behavior was not only not condemned but was in fact accepted.  I wasn't comparing the magnitude of the two offenses in the slightest.

 

7/23/2020 3:47 pm  #38


Re: Say Goodbye to the Colonials Name

Actually I'm with GW Cigars for men's teams and GW Cigarettes for all women's teams. 

Last edited by fungerhall (7/23/2020 3:49 pm)

 

7/23/2020 4:47 pm  #39


Re: Say Goodbye to the Colonials Name

I'd go with Foggy Bottom Basketball Team.

 

7/23/2020 5:17 pm  #40


Re: Say Goodbye to the Colonials Name

A slight modification of fungerhalls suggestion - Revolutionaries  - hmmm too long.   Is anyone actually being serious about these names?

Last edited by BC (7/23/2020 5:18 pm)

 

Board footera

 

Powered by Boardhost. Create a Free Forum