GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/14/2020 5:15 pm  #61

Re: Good News Arriving Soon!

22andF, I hope you're right.  The periods of success this program has had over the years did not arrive out of the blue.  When Mike Jarvis brought in the Yinka/Vaughn/Dirkk class, and when Karl Hobbs brought in the Pops/Mike/Omar class, and when Mike Lonergan brought in the Joe/Kevin/Pato/Kethan class (along with Zeke), there was a real and noticeable buzz about these classes before these guys ever took the court.  Jarvis was on the heels of Kuester, Hobbs was cleaning up the Penders mess, and Lonergan was relieving a beleaguered  Hobbs who had lost his magic for a variety of reasons. 

Today, there appears to be some buzz surrounding this program.  It seems like JC and staff are bringing in very talented players.  Those who write about the sport like what we've done in the transfer market.  We seem to be one of those "teams on the rise" or "teams to watch", that sort of thing.

It will be up to the coaching staff to make it all gel properly.  Easier to do with talented players than what say MoJo was working with before his departure.  This year alone, it looks like Battle, JNJ, Paar, Jack, Seymour, Dean, Bishop, Brown, Brelsford, Ball. Moyer, and Harris (if healthy) all look like players who can regularly contribute.  The following year will find Moyer and Jack gone, replaced by Lindo, Freeman and Gapare.  One never knows who may get hurt, transfer, etc., but on the surface, this team looks like it should have a  tremendous amount of depth over at least the next few years. 

A rebirth?  Let's hope that's the correct word and not too strong a notion.

9/14/2020 5:31 pm  #62

Thomas wrote:

GWRising(or anyone else who wants to chime in), looking at Bishop's high school and AAU videos, he appears to be a ball-dominant combo guard. Is JC going to have him play a Russell Westbrook/Ja Morant type of role where he runs the offense and shoots a lot? How is the coaching staff approaching the upcoming season with all the uncertainty due to COVID? Are the players on campus? Is the coaching staff proceeding as if they are going to have a full November to March/April season? 

Also, are they trying to get a waiver for Lindo? It will probably be a lot harder since Lindo went from College Park to NW D.C.(what is that, like a 45 minute drive!!), but they might as well give it a try since the every player who transfers seems to request a waiver nowadays. 

Last question first, Lindo most likely won't be getting a waiver this season.

The players are all on campus and in what is like a mini-bubble in one dorm as I understand it. Right now, they are able to have 4 hours/week of on the court time for individual workouts but that is expected to change soon. They are proceeding as if there will be a season until told otherwise within the limits of what is permitted by the NCAA and the University/health authorities.

As for Bishop, he is not nearly as athletic as Morant or Westbrook. However, he can score in bunches when on. He will play within JC's system and make the right reads. I expect some nights he would be a primary scorer while other nights he will have more assists. His big area for improvement will need to be his defense. JNJ and Bishop will need to learn to play together and that will take some time to mesh since both are really combo guards by strengths.

Last edited by GWRising (9/14/2020 5:32 pm)

9/14/2020 11:09 pm  #63

This is great news.   He could easily become an all-league guard.

To Thomas' question about a Westbrook/Morant type role, I would say that he will likely be a high usage guy. Look at the way Armel Potter was used last year - Potter was top 50 in usage and 3rd in the nation in assist rate, and that was after using almost no possessions his first couple of games before he took off.

It's possible that JC was using Armel like that out of necessity, but JC's pattern seems to be to set up a high usage PG to create a lot.  In his lone year at Siena, Jalen Pickett was 5th in the nation in assist rate and just outside of the top 100 in the country in usage.   At MSM, 5'5" Junior Robisnon was 15th in the nation in usage and 60th in assist rate in JC's last year.  

Between the Assist rate and usage of Potter, Pickett, and Robinson the last three years, it's a fair bet that JC wants to play that way if he has the right player.  I'd definitely draft Bishop if I was playing fantasy college hoops because I'm guessing he does have the ball in his hands a ton. 

Also have to think that part of what sold Brayon Freeman on turning down Florida and Ole Miss to come here was JC's track record of putting PGs in position to compile elite assist numbers.

9/15/2020 5:22 pm  #64

GWRising,  thanks for the updates on the team!! This has got to be a very challenging situation for GW and all the other programs because nobody can be sure who you will play, when you will play and where you will be playing!! At least JC and the staff know that James Bishop will be eligible and they have time to implement him into the game plan before official practices and games starts. What is Amir Harris' status? About a month ago, GW's OTHER official site(gwsports.com) posted a "hype" video of A.Harris as if we are going to see him this year. If A.Harris is fully healthy, GW could be a lot better, and I mean top 4 finish in the conference better!! With a healthy Harris, this 2020-2021 team would have a lot of depth, size, athleticism, and 3-point shooting. 

FQ,  great points!! 'High Usage' is the term I was looking for when describing point guards(and other ball-handlers) who shoot and pass a lot. JC did use Armel Potter as a high usage PG and it was pretty successful when you look at how much better GW played when Potter became a starter. James Bishop, Brayon Freeman and JNJ are guards who have the talent to thrive and make things difficult for opposing teams in JC's system. Maybe JC will play all 3 of them together at times starting in 2021-2022, and use them like Jay Wright did when he would successfully use 3-guard lineups

9/16/2020 11:24 am  #65

Thomas, there is a 95% chance that Harris will not play in 2020-21 according to my sources. Anything is remotely possible if the season gets pushed back far enough but I would operate on the assumption he will not play this year. I think the plan is to have him come back strong and healthy in 2021-22.

9/17/2020 12:02 pm  #66

Board footera