GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/31/2020 10:22 am  #1

GW Axing 7 teams after this year

Per email from Vogel, which cites financial strain from Covid: 

Today marks one of the most difficult days in GW Athletics’ history. Just minutes ago, I notified the coaches and student-athletes from seven of our teams that we are discontinuing varsity sports sponsorship for their program at the conclusion of the 2020-21 academic year. These sports include men’s rowing, sailing, men’s and women’s squash, men’s tennis, men’s indoor track and women’s water polo.

7/31/2020 10:32 am  #2

Re: GW Axing 7 teams after this year

Not surprised at all. This may not be the end of it if this crisis deepens. GW faces an existential crisis University-wide. As one of the most expensive schools in the Country without the portfolio/cache of a top 20 school, the crisis has made many question whether the value proposition for GW is there. I credit LeBlanc for getting ahead of the curve by dropping enrollment and cutting costs. It's going to be painful for many years I fear.

7/31/2020 10:53 am  #3

In one breath, it is amazing that even GW teams that make NCAAs regularly or are nationally ranked(men's tennis, men's and women's squash) can't make the cut. On the other side, it makes perfect sense since you can't sell tickets to these programs.

7/31/2020 10:59 am  #4

Just read President LeBlanc's letter on the subject.  Very sad yet understandable news.  No NCAA basketball tournaments last year meant no share of A10 conference tournament revenue for all schools.  This is the money which helps fund sports such as the ones that will soon be converted to club sports.  Coupled with the very realistic notion of going another academic year without any revenue from athletics, I am certain that this decision was quite necessary no matter how difficult it will be on many people.

7/31/2020 11:38 am  #5

Does this bad news mean students who committed to GW with the understanding that they were receiving athletic scholarships for rowing, polo, squash (and the other listed sports) will now have to pay for their education?  I certainly hope not as this would be grossly unfair, and I am certain there would be other places where GW could contain or cut costs, before hurting these student athlete. 

This is a very sad day for GW sports, although I do understand the school must not be financially reckless.  

Last edited by 22ndandF (7/31/2020 11:39 am)

7/31/2020 12:02 pm  #6

TLDR: They get to keep their scholarships

We are committed to caring for those affected through this transition. All existing athletics scholarship aid will continue to be awarded to the affected student-athletes through their graduation at GW. We hope that our students continue their education at GW. However, should any student-athletes from the affected teams choose to transfer to another institution, we will support them in every way possible. We will also provide mental health and other counseling resources throughout the year.

7/31/2020 12:14 pm  #7

brod wrote:

TLDR: They get to keep their scholarships

We are committed to caring for those affected through this transition. All existing athletics scholarship aid will continue to be awarded to the affected student-athletes through their graduation at GW. We hope that our students continue their education at GW. However, should any student-athletes from the affected teams choose to transfer to another institution, we will support them in every way possible. We will also provide mental health and other counseling resources throughout the year.

brod, thank you so much for the prompt response, I appreciate knowing that GW is doing their best to take care of our wonderful student athletes.  While, yes, it is sad news, it is very important to me to know that at least GW is not going to cause financial hardship on these students.  Hopefully, as we bring in more money and grow our basketball program there will be more funds available to once again broaden the spectrum of scholarship sports.
Thank you again.

7/31/2020 12:31 pm  #8

I'm not surprised, as I have seen friends of mine who work at GW subject to layoffs recently.  Very sad for the university.

Related to these and other GW cuts, I have a philosophical question, one that may take me a little to get to, but please indulge me.  

Individuals have savings accounts.  Businesses and nonprofits have reserve funds.  Governments generally have a buffer fund of some type to cover unexpected expenses. 

Colleges come in two varieties:  public and private.  Public colleges are subject to the whims of their legislatures for funding in whole or part.  Private institutions that don't get that public funding rely on themselves in the same way a business would need to do so.

GW has an endowment of $1.8 billion (circa 2018), and I imagine that it earns somewhere between 4 to 8% per year.  

COVID-19 is not a permanent state of affairs; at some point it will be a non-impactful virus most likely due to a yet-to-be-proven vaccine.  

So my question is this:  if GW has such a healthy endowment that earns income every year, why is it that the university cannot sustain a 2 to 3 year loss of growth of their endowment to maintain their staffing levels, quality of student life, and maintenance of other infrastructure?

Is the issue that GW cannot sustain its expenses with limited revenue, or is it rather that the administration chooses to not use the endowment's earnings (not the principal, but investment revenue).  In other words, is this happening because of a desire to not use what would otherwise be the university's failsafe reserve funds?  

Please note, I'm not second-guessing the decision, as I'm not expert in this kind of situation.  Rather I am curious if anyone who has greater knowledge of the GW administration can offer thoughts about this, and whether that administration just can't let themselves not grow its endowment at the expense of monumentally major cuts across the university.  

7/31/2020 4:40 pm  #9

BGF, I do not have any insights into GW's decision making but I will attempt to broadly answer your question.  I think the first thing to remember about an endowment is that it's going to be perceived first and foremost as an investment vehicle rather than a rainy day fund.  This money is counted upon to grow so that GW is able to invest in everything from area real estate to new buildings and equipment.  Once you remove any money to cover expenses, even under extraordinary times such as these, you are negatively impacting the endowment's ROI.  So what hypothetically might have otherwise been 8% becomes 4% instead.  This difference has the potential to be enormous.

Next, the market conditions do need to carry negative consequences.  Sure, nobody who works at GW is at fault for Covid-19.  It sucks that very capable workers have to lose their jobs as a result.  But, if hardly any students will be on campus until January at the earliest, there simply isn't a need for as large a staff.   Watch what happens when publicly traded companies announce major layoffs.  Short of specific catastrophic company news, their stock prices very often rise.  That's because investors believe that these companies will operate more profitably with fewer workers.  Sure, many will become stressed out doing the jobs of two and three people but that's not the concern of the investor.   .It's sad but true.

As for today's news, as tough as it is to hear, it makes sense.  It's certainly not like GW is alone in this regard; Stanford just cut 9 sports and many other schools have either followed or are likely to follow.  These sports are not revenue generators and as such, they are ripe for eliminating.  Your point is that the pandemic will not last forever and there will likely be some adjustment when the time comes.  More workers will be hired and perhaps a few of these cut sports will return.  However, the odds are that the school will realize that it could get along without providing scholarships for these sports or for that matter, hiring back all of the laid off workers.  All in the name of efficiency.   

Last edited by Gwmayhem (7/31/2020 4:42 pm)

7/31/2020 6:41 pm  #10

Mayhem, thanks.  It's not that I question the decision on the sports.  I used to work for GW Athletics and I was a student when the wrestling program was cut.  I've been through this and I understand.  But the financial discussion go beyond the cutting of the sports.  GW's had its share of financial debacles over recent years.  I'm just troubled that they're making such extreme cuts when they have the ability (in this or any economy) to survive this.

Perhaps I am naive after all, but that's my feeling on this.

B.

7/31/2020 11:02 pm  #11

I have enjoyed following the success of our squash programs over the past several years.  They have represented our school very well.  So, for me, losing both the men's and women's squash teams is a bit of a tragedy. 

But, having said that, I think losing men's rowing is truly a gut punch.  That's the one I really can't understand.  Men's rowing should be a "core" sport at GW, in my opinion.

8/01/2020 8:38 am  #12

Sucks for the Student athletes on these teams, GW's committment to Athletics needs some serious re-evaluation.  Should be higher, not lower and looks like lower is the direction the school may be taking

8/01/2020 11:32 am  #13

Surprised men’s tennis is on the list after they hired the Bryan Brothers’ coach to lead the program a couple of years ago.  That seemed like a big investment in that program to hire a name coach like that (though I don’t even know if he’s still the coach).

8/01/2020 11:36 am  #14

The cuts are a gut punch for me as well.   The dollars I have spent over the years for GW sports contributions have all been for rowing and more recently sailing.  My focus was the product of these sports, true student athletes most of whom would never be a "professional " other than in non-athletic fields.  As a current Master's Rower with the large and old San Diego Rowing Club I am still amazed at the number of rowers who are MDs, biotech researchers, attorneys, engineers, naval architects etc.  I often row in a quad with 3 doctors.  And I am amazed at the number of them who went to the Ivy League schools (every school represented) as well as Stanford, Cal, USC, UCLA, Washington etc.  (even the school down the street).  Yes, there are many factors for this concentration in one organization and location, however I alway hoped that GW would be represented more strongly at this level as well.  Again, the product of the school and these types  of student-athletes has alway been paramount,  thus my concern that this is not a good move.  Having said that I have no solution from this distance,  nor any experience to contribute and therefore feel even more like shit.  Would I like consistent NCAA appearances in basketball---of course---but not sure in the long run we are taking that direction, NOR attracting student athletes who will contribute even stronger to our rep.  Time for a double-shot of Red Breast irish. 

8/01/2020 3:13 pm  #15

Does anyone know if there are any sports that makes money? I'm even thinking that basketball loses money each year. (I wrote before I read...Dr. Mike says that no sport does make money).

And if you want to save money, try getting rid of some of the nothing classes (once again, Dr. Mike says that is the intention of the school). There are (once again I haven't researched this!) probably are tons of waste in those areas. I just think that they took an axe to sports, rather than a scalpel to the whole school.

Making GW a STEM based school (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) is great, but they have a large history in Political Science and History. I'd kind of feel bad if they turned their backs on them.

Last edited by chrisw (8/01/2020 5:25 pm)

8/01/2020 3:36 pm  #16

Dr Mike wrote:

The budget crisis that all universities are facing is real and has long term consequences. GW is no exemption and in many ways has a much deeper problem than some other universities. To truly understand the GW fiscal crisis you will need to evaluate all of its revenue sources (tuition, fees, endowment return, auxiliary revenue, real estate revenue, fund raising, etc.) and measure up to all of its expenses (one example of long term expense is health and retirement benefits for faculty and staff). The expenses far exceed the revenue and this is before COVID. The university is carrying more than $1 billion inn debt (most of this tied to construction). As a non-profit institution, GW is required to complete a federal 990 form that provides a good analysis of the institutions revenue, expenses, compensation, major contracts, etc. You can Google search 990 Form George Washington University. It is free to open an account. 
Do not lose sight that it is the intention of the current administration to transition the university to a more focused STEM institution. Part of this refocus is to reduce the student population that will result in a loss of revenue around $37 million. Consistent with this reduction is a review of all academic programs and services. I suspect GW will eventually eliminate or consolidate all low enrolled academic programs. Associated with this will be a reduction in tenured and tenure track faculty, full time faculty and a reduction in staff. Approximately 75% of the GW budget is tied to personnel. 

Although reductions are painful and ugly and create angst among all constituents it is necessary. GW has become very bloated over the decades. It has resisted making decisions especially on personnel and programs that have not provided any significant benefit to the institution. Again, a review of the institutions 990 Form shows they have been living on the margin counting on their real estate division and other auxiliary revenue operations. Equally, you must factor in the hospital revenue and expense even though GW only owns 20% of the hospital. But, on the other hand it has committed to building and being the primary operator for a new hospital in DC. This is one example of long term financial previously referenced.

On to the sport question. It is a bit disingenuous to claim the sports axed do not favor alumni contribution, corporate sponsorships  or season tickets, meaning they operate as a financial loss. Well, every sport at GW operates on a financial loss. There is not a sport that generates enough revenue to cover their expenses. It has nothing to do with the NCAA allocation. 

Truth is GW did not go far enough to reducing its sports sponsorship. It should have reduced until reaching the minimum sport sponsorship to compete at the NCAA Division I level--16 sports. Then there can be a serious reallocation of funds to fully support the 16 sports and compete for championships.

GW has always wanted to be considered among the top tier universities. One way to be in this upper echelon is through nationally recognized faculty, research and academics. Another way is through athletics. On the athletic side, you will notice GW sponsored many sports commonly associated with the Ivy League colleges. This was intentionally that allowed GW to compete against Harvard (rowing), Princeton (squash), etc. so that some bragging could occur that GW beat the Ivy League.  But, this only provides temporary cache.

Yes, people are upset that their sport will no longer be sponsored at GW. I understand this. 

But, the financial crisis at GW is real. I suspect the projected $200 million deficit is understated. Probably closer to $300 million. 

You will need to fasten your seat belt, sure to be a bumpy ride with many more reductions to follow.

Dr. Mike, thank you for your thoughtful commentary and for the pointer to GW's financial disclosure.  This was quite an eye-opener, at least of me. I had no idea that GW had such financial difficulties.  Is this unique in the A-10, and/or for schools that compete with GW for the enrollment of a similar demographic of student?  I must say, that, after reading your comments and reviewing GW's form 990, I have so many more questions, but most of them have nothing to do with basketball, and are much more related to how the administration could invest and spend money like the disclosure suggests.  This is very discouraging to even an optimist like me!

Thank you again, Dr. Mike for the excellent information.

8/01/2020 8:16 pm  #17

Not truly related to our current situation, but a great read for those wanting to understand the evolution of college athletic funding, I strongly recommend reading this book.

https://www.amazon.com/Billion-Dollar-Ball-Journey-Big-Money-Football/dp/0143108638/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=billion+dollar+ball%3A&qid=1596330934&sr=8-2

8/01/2020 11:20 pm  #18

It comes down to giving. Georgetown and GW generate similar revenues but Georgetown generates about 20% from contributions while we generate a paltry 5%. That's just not going to cut it. Alums have to give more. 

8/02/2020 10:34 am  #19

Dr. Mike, I have been looking over GW's 2017 form 990. 

If I am reading the form correctly, Schedule VII describes a very difficult thing for me to accept.  The amount of money paid to certain senior employees is astonishing, and quite frankly, mind boggling (at least to me).  There are so many administrators making more that $500K,$600K, $700K and some even much more. If you remove the trustees, I think the average compensation to those 21 employees is about  $700K each. Actually, those 21 employees look also to enjoy supplemental incomes that are often more than I make (or that many Americans) make in a year.  Is GW the American nightmare of income inequality, so many people are upset about in the US today?     

I can't see how any compensation oversight committee could allow this to happen at a not for profit institution.  And with the school losing so much money, as you describe, they are cutting programs instead of cutting salaries, many of which are beyond what most of us will ever make over many years!!!  I feel this is very upsetting and unsettling, as I scrounge my meager savings just to gather a few dollars to donate to the school I love.  It feels like something terribly inappropriate is going on.  If I can find the 2018 or 2019 Form 990, I would hope the situation would have improved. But from what I read between the lines in what you posted, I fear it has probably gotten even worse!!!!  I feel so stupid for contributing to GW right now.  Maybe you can shed some light on this for me.  Are many not for profit universities like this? I can't imagine why they would pay out money like this, but I am curious, because, I feel this is very, very bad.  Maybe I am reading the form incorrectly?  I hope so!!!!

One thing you mentioned in an earlier post was about moving to the Patriot League.  Do you think GW might end up in the Patriot League? If so, would it be because of questionable financial management?

Last edited by 22ndandF (8/02/2020 10:42 am)

8/02/2020 12:31 pm  #20

22andF I have to admit I haven't done all the research you have or looked at any specifics as it relates to compensation. So keep that in mind when you interpret my questions.

Does it give you a detailed listing of what positions these salaries are for?
I would imagine if it includes the medical school the significant number of high paid employees might make sense. Think surgeons etc.

I would assume a dean of all the different academic schools would need to be compensated in that range given the high cost of living of the DC area and their qualifications.

Many faculty are possibly compensated in that range because they bring in research $'s.

Could the previous administrations push to bring in more research faculty mean that in those years there were significant signing bonuses and this doesn't reflect and ongoing compensation plan.

As I said before I'm not in any way an expert on higher education compensation but especially if the medical school is included , I don't find those #'s shocking. 

Board footera