GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/02/2020 12:59 pm  #21

Re: GW Axing 7 teams after this year

OK after finding the list here is what I see from 2017

9 of 21 make $700k or more
These are the titles
Ex-President
President
EVP & Treasurer
SR. VP and General Counsel
Dean School od Medicine (SHMS)
Dean of the Law School 
Professor though 6/17  (other compensation so obviously due to his leaving)
Chief of Staff ($400k+ due to payment at departure/not salary )
Dean of the School of Engineering

Take away departure packages due to turnover the # goes to  6
actually only 5 employees had salaries over 500K
only 3 over 700k
only 12 over 400k

And by the way if you look just below $700k you find Lonergan at $650k.
Many below the $700k threshold are Deans and other very senior staff
So the number would be 8 if we weren't paying two Presidents that year (Including a sizeable departure package)

Given the qualifications of these individuals , I'm not at all shocked by compensation levels.
Living in DC and competing against other schools for the "best" is expensive.

I bet if you looked at other peer #'s these $ would be in line

Last edited by Florida Colonial (8/02/2020 1:00 pm)

8/02/2020 1:38 pm  #22

To be fair and reasonable it would be nice to know how comparable schools pay.    $700K  is piddling pay for tons of coaches.   Washington state's highest paid public employees are all college coaches.   

8/02/2020 1:44 pm  #23

Thank you Florida Colonial. Matches what I assumed. Income inequities are a real issue but “making more money than I’ll ever make” will mean something only when “they’ll never make as much money as I already make” is a concern raised for teachers, health care workers and untold other societal necessity occupations.

8/02/2020 2:03 pm  #24

Florida Colonial wrote:

OK after finding the list here is what I see from 2017

9 of 21 make $700k or more
These are the titles
Ex-President
President
EVP & Treasurer
SR. VP and General Counsel
Dean School od Medicine (SHMS)
Dean of the Law School 
Professor though 6/17  (other compensation so obviously due to his leaving)
Chief of Staff ($400k+ due to payment at departure/not salary )
Dean of the School of Engineering

Take away departure packages due to turnover the # goes to  6
actually only 5 employees had salaries over 500K
only 3 over 700k
only 12 over 400k

And by the way if you look just below $700k you find Lonergan at $650k.
Many below the $700k threshold are Deans and other very senior staff
So the number would be 8 if we weren't paying two Presidents that year (Including a sizeable departure package)

Given the qualifications of these individuals , I'm not at all shocked by compensation levels.
Living in DC and competing against other schools for the "best" is expensive.

I bet if you looked at other peer #'s these $ would be in line

Florida Colonial, thank you for providing that analysis and thank you also for restoring a little bit of my faith what is going on.  I work for a non profit and nobody makes very much, even the directors, compared to the people at GW. But I guess I just work in the wrong not for profit!  Still, I feel this is not good when these administrators are making more than a half a million dollars per year and, at the same time, the wealthy people are cutting positions and scholarships. And these are the same people who have brought the economic hardships onto GW.  But at least, if you are right, many schools pay this kind of money.  I just hope these schools don't have the same economic problems as Dr. Mike suggests are happening at GW.  

8/02/2020 2:08 pm  #25

Poog wrote:

Thank you Florida Colonial. Matches what I assumed. Income inequities are a real issue but “making more money than I’ll ever make” will mean something only when “they’ll never make as much money as I already make” is a concern raised for teachers, health care workers and untold other societal necessity occupations.

Poog, I agree with this sentiment somewhat. But, I feel two wrongs don't make a right, especially for a non profit institution with financial difficulties that is cutting scholarship programs.  This is just my opinion, and I don't have the answers, but I just have a feeling inside that paying this kind of money is wrong just by seeing so many people that are trying so hard and still struggling, including graduates of GW.  And I see homeless people near campus that nobody even takes care of.  And, I would only speak for myself, this doesn't make GW bad, in my opinion, but it does make it wrong and highlights a real problem.

And, there are just three Black people on the schedule (and only one, the Dean of the Law School, Mr. Blake Morant has compensation that is in the top tier).

Last edited by 22ndandF (8/02/2020 3:05 pm)

8/22/2020 7:19 pm  #26

Just saw news from Iowa that they are dropping 4 varsity sports from the Big 10 as well.  So it is not just the GWs of the world struggling.  First Stanford now Iowa (probably more that I have not heard).  Much like a lot of retail business, college athletics will look a lot different when we come out of this.

8/22/2020 8:46 pm  #27

It's all about the Benjamins baby - to vaguely quote someone.

Board footera