GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/09/2020 12:40 pm  #1

1st Top 25 Poll of the New Year

Pikiell and Hobbs have Rutgers amazingly ranked in the top 25, what a rise.  Gonzaga begins the year #1, Iowa starts the year in the top 5, and Kentucky is unranked, as is North Carolina, unranked.   Pretty wild.

Has Calipari lost momentum? seems 10-5 years ago he had about the best talent every single year. 

Duke is ranked, 9th, maybe the 1 and done formula requires some revisiting? Seems like almost every year its a veteran laden team that knocks out the best lottery Freshman talent, with 1 or 2 exceptions since the age of the 1 and done

11/09/2020 2:27 pm  #2

11/14/2020 10:29 pm  #3

Re: 1st Top 25 Poll of the New Year

Not in the poll I was looking at, I'll see if I can find it.  Even so, my point stands.  

Do you want to go all in year after year on 1 and dones? can you build actual National Title teams well that way? Coach K won several titles 3 decades ago with veteran teams, he seemed to join the Arm race vs Calipari for 1 and dones and while each team has cranked out a ton of NBA players and lottery picks, they have less rings in the last decade+ than the veteran based teams of Jay Wright's Nova teams.

One also wonders how many years K has left, he is 73 after all and it is a draining, year long job, even if much of the heaviest lifting is done by his staff.  As for Cal, he's not getting 4 or so NBA tier 1 lottery picks year after year, the way he was 10-5 years ago and the product shows. Made 4 Final 4s in a 5 years span in the first half of the last decade, zero in the back half of the decade.

Last edited by The Dude (11/14/2020 10:29 pm)

Board footera