GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/25/2020 12:56 pm  #41

Re: GW vs Navy Game Thread

I really hope that the broadcaster's comment that Christian doesn't like to call time outs because he prefers that the team figure out things on their own was inaccurate.

11/25/2020 12:58 pm  #42

Jamion needs to learn the hard way I guess. Seems like he missed the lesson from last year - you can’t live on the three point line on offense. Need to mix it up and get the ball inside. We’ve got some better, bigger players that makes it more of an option than it was last year, but he doesn’t seem to be prepared to mix it up.  Early warning sign.  We’ll get annihilated more often than not with an offensive game plan that just relies on flinging up threes.

11/25/2020 12:58 pm  #43

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

I really hope that the broadcaster's comment that Christian doesn't like to call time outs because he prefers that the team figure out things on their own was inaccurate.

never got the sense last year that this was the case

11/25/2020 12:59 pm  #44

Alum1 wrote:

Jamion needs to learn the hard way I guess. Seems like he missed the lesson from last year - you can’t live on the three point line on offense. Need to mix it up and get the ball inside. We’ve got some better, bigger players that makes it more of an option than it was last year, but he doesn’t seem to be prepared to mix it up. Early warning sign. We’ll get annihilated more often than not with an offensive game plan that just relies on flinging up threes.

the nba disagrees

11/25/2020 1:02 pm  #45

What you see is what you get.
How many baskets did Navy score after all five players touched the ball? How may times did fewer than two GW players touch the ball before a travel call was made? Could anything be more fitting than Navy hitting a wide-open three on the first possestion of the season?
The optimist in me sees the glass as half-empty. The realist in me sees the glass as three-quarters empty.

11/25/2020 1:02 pm  #46

6 assists, 11 turnovers.   I don't care that this is the first half of the first game of the season...that is unacceptable.

11/25/2020 1:08 pm  #47

make that 6 assists, 13 turnovers.

11/25/2020 1:10 pm  #48

Somebody wiser than me please explain why we are staying in this absolutely hideous zone that gives Navy an open look EVERY possession.

11/25/2020 1:11 pm  #49

This seems like a zone that might work great....if Yuta and Pato were still on the team. But with this unit I'm not seeing it. 

Moyer seems like the one guy that's a good fit for this defense based on eye test. 

Last edited by Tim04 (11/25/2020 1:11 pm)

11/25/2020 1:14 pm  #50

I feel like JC is playing so much zone just to stick it to all the people that were yelling for him to play zone last year

11/25/2020 1:17 pm  #51

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

How many baskets did Navy score after all five players touched the ball? How may times did fewer than two GW players touch the ball before a travel call was made? Could anything be more fitting than Navy hitting a wide-open three on the first possestion of the season?
The optimist in me sees the glass as half-empty. The realist in me sees the glass as three-quarters empty.

Lots of one-on-one selfish basketball this afternoon.   

11/25/2020 1:18 pm  #52

7 assists, 14 turnovers vs. 17 assists, 6 turnovers.  The story of the game.

11/25/2020 1:19 pm  #53

Really hard to play this kind of zone when we have a huge defensive deficiency in the middle of the paint. 

11/25/2020 1:22 pm  #54

Comeback?

11/25/2020 1:25 pm  #55

How many times are they going to lose their man on a simple cut to the basket?

11/25/2020 1:26 pm  #56

Seymour so far looks like a poor man's Nemanja Mikic. Absolutely useless unless he's shooting.

11/25/2020 1:28 pm  #57

Biggest thing I’m seeing is the energy on defense seems inconsistent.  Some possessions the guards seem active and are contesting the ball, others they are passive and Navy gets whatever shot it wants. I imagine the zone was used because navy was one of the worst shooting teams in the country, but if we are going to play it, it has to be an aggressive zone - not just a way for us to rest on defense.

I like the energy Noel Brown brought. We just have to buckle down on D and get stops. Seems like we are more interested in getting the ball back than swarming on D.

11/25/2020 1:30 pm  #58

If the defense is designed to allow Navy either an open look from the 3 or a dunk, then we are playing it to perfection.

11/25/2020 1:33 pm  #59

We need to work on playing as a team, both on offense and on defense.  That is sorely lacking this game.

11/25/2020 1:34 pm  #60

Does anyone know why Maceo has not played that much? Could use his leadership and shooting out on the floor. Navy doesn't seem to be that big so I think we could play 3 guards with Battle at the 4.

Board footera