GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/12/2021 10:45 am  #201

Re: Other Games - November

I liked Seth Greenberg's take on the problems at Duke and Kentucky this year, "Not All McDonald's All-Americans Are Created Equal"!! That kind of goes along with The Dude's comments about this year's crop of  5-star McDonald's All-Americans at Kentucky and Duke not measuring up to previous guys like Anthony Davis, John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins, Jahlil Okafor and Jayson Tatum. The Anthony Davis types ended up places like USC, Gonzaga, Oklahoma State and Florida, not Duke and Kentucky like the always did in the past. 

FQ, I agree Calipari brought in transfers who didn't fit into his system, it is kind of funny seeing him Calipari swing and miss on transfers because he's no longer able to pick and choose who he wants among the top 15 high school seniors. In the past, guys like Evan Mobley and Cade Cunningham would have signed with Calipari. I thought Saar would dominate at Kentucky because Calipari seemed to bring out the most in guys who had NBA potential and started for him. 

Maryland vs #4 Michigan     11:30AM    Big 10 Network
Georgetown vs Seton Hall    6             FS1  - if Georgetown wins, they'll play Connecticut or Creighton for the Big East title 
Rutgers vs  #3 Illinois            6:30         Big 10 Network  - Rutgers beat Indiana last night which in all likelihood clinched an NCAA tournament bid for them, Rutgers last trip to the NCAA tournament was 1991...30 years ago!! Another thread mentioned local teams in the NCAA tournament, I'd include Rutgers as a local team for GW fans since Steve Pikiel, Karl Hobbs and TJ Thompson are on the staff, its almost like the 2004 or 2005 GW team!!

3/12/2021 12:37 pm  #202

Yeah, for sure.  I wonder if the very top of the draft are being advised to go somewhere they don't need to share the rock/limelight.

The trend of the very top of the 5 stars going elsewhere dates back several years now, are you better off being Anthony Edwards or Cade Cunningham? or being one of 3 or 4 top  5  guys all going to Duke/Kentucky?

3/12/2021 1:15 pm  #203

Understand your pain Moneybox. But it's not "you guys" that's the problem - just 2 individuals (dumb and dumber). Can anyone guess who our 1 and only poster is that has over 1000 posts?

Back to the thread topic - I hope UVA can still make the tourney. Would be nice to get as many area teams in as possible to give us GW fans something to look forward too.

3/12/2021 8:21 pm  #204

Gtown advances to the Finals of the Big East Tourney, incredible, 1 win away from making The Dance

Josh Pastner has Georgia Tech in the ACC Finals.  Amazing he was run out of Memphis, took them to 4 straight NCAA trips and was 82-36 in league play.  What has Memphis done since he left?  Just 43 year old has 248 career wins already.

Last edited by The Dude (3/12/2021 10:55 pm)

3/13/2021 12:42 pm  #205

Some bid stealer games today, Gtown and Oregon St among them.

Normally with some A10 teams in the bubble I'd be pulling against the bid stealer, but with all Ewing has been through, actually rooting for Ewing and The Hoyas to pull this off.

3/13/2021 3:35 pm  #206

All due respect to LSF, but it's definitely harder to hate Georgetown without a Thompson coaching.

3/13/2021 6:26 pm  #207

This may be true, but hope they lose on a last second shot in which a player catches the ball, turns around, takes several dribbles and slowly takes a shot--all within one second, according to the official timekeeper.
That would be karma.

3/13/2021 7:23 pm  #208

36-18 G'town, still a half to go but they are 20 minutes from a cinderella run to the Dance

23-2 run to close out the half 

Last edited by The Dude (3/13/2021 7:30 pm)

3/13/2021 7:41 pm  #209

The Dude,  Georgetown actually ended the half on an 18-0 run. Creighton looks totally demoralized, Georgetown is playing like Ewing's Georgetown teams in the mid 80's who would totally shut down teams defensively. 

Rick Pitino has led Iona to the NCAA tournament in his first year there. They were the 9th seed but actually finished 3rd, the MAAC used overall winning percentage to seed teams. 

3/13/2021 8:06 pm  #210

There are going to be several disappointed bubble teams after today's games.

3/13/2021 8:43 pm  #211

That run swelled to 34-3 for G'Town.  Happy for Ewing, who had a hellish year and paid his dues to finally get a HC job

Thomas, Pitino, tremendous story, flawed human but incredible Coach.  What's that 6 programs he's taken to the Dance? 

Last edited by The Dude (3/13/2021 8:56 pm)

3/13/2021 9:28 pm  #212

The Dude,  I believe Pitino coached at Hawaii and won, very early in his career, but I'm not sure if they made the tournament. One of the local broadcasters(Chris Knoche or Glen Consor) sometimes mentions that they played for Pitino in the 1970's at Boston U(??), he probably made the tournament with that school. Pitino spent about 8 years coaching in the NBA, he'd probably have a few more championships if he never left college. About Georgia Tech, I didn't realize how well they played this year(finished in 4th place) and had the ACC Player of the Year in Moses Wright

BC,  St. Louis may be one of those disappointed bubble teams because of Georgetown. 

We know that the NCAA tournament likes to set up interesting/rivalry matchups, something to watch is a possible Georgetown-Maryland 1st round game. I'm thinking that they could play in a10-7 or 8-9 matchup.

3/13/2021 9:39 pm  #213

Free, I was just thinking the same thing about Pops team. Yes, give Villanova an 8 or worse seeding. Even though Pops came back that 8 seed sucked as well as playing Duke next in Greensborough. 

3/13/2021 9:49 pm  #214

Free, I was just thinking the same thing about Pops team. Yes, give Villanova an 8 or worse seeding. Even though Pops came back that 8 seed sucked as well as playing Duke next in Greensborough. Amazing Duke win, rebounding was 37 for GW 38 for Duke. And a fairly called game. FTs 14-19 for GW, 26-37 for Duke.  Every time we drove we got hacked but the ref called them blocks. Can't forget one ref apologizing to Coach K for even calling one blatant foul against them. 

3/13/2021 9:53 pm  #215

Sorry for the double post.  I think Creighton lost so bad is that it was a Jesuit decision to allow GU to win.  

3/13/2021 10:38 pm  #216

Thomas, took BU to the Dance, Took Providence to the Final 4, in year 2 of a 2 year run.
The 1996-98 (98 being his recruit Tubby Coached) Kentucky run is the best since Wooden, and maybe the deepest college team ever the 1996 Kentucky squad. 3 finals and 2 titles, another title at Louisville, another Final 4 and four Elite 8s, and now Iona to the Dance. 

His legacy will be clouded some by scandal but what a career for Pitino aye? Always cutting edge, one of the first to really emphasize the 3 point shooting, way before it was widely accepted.  He was 25 when he got the HC job at BU.

And yeah, GA Tech, great year and now the ACC Champs.  Memphis has to be re-thinking the Josh Pastner treatment.

Last edited by The Dude (3/13/2021 10:50 pm)

3/14/2021 9:09 am  #217

I reserve the right to act childish and mean spirited at least 3 times a year.I’ll use my first one on George-n.
They win the conference for the first time in 14 years and everyone goes crazy. Count me out.
Hope they lose next one.I have no interest in their success.

3/14/2021 9:22 am  #218

I was an insider -George-n Med.Trust me -they have nothing but contempt for GW.We are a joke.
Im not going to do a “Ted Cruz” and suck-up after being told my wife is ugly and my father was part
of the Kennedy assassination.I feel better now.Thank you for your indulgence.

3/14/2021 10:20 am  #219

I hate to give credit to Georgetown, but after being so lame all year, they were fantastic in the Big East tourney.  Once Bile started playing a lot and they put the ball in Harris’ hands instead of Blair/Pickett all the time, they became a different team.

That said, Thonas, there’s no way they will play Maryland in a 7-10 or 8-9 game.  Both teams are almost certainly going to be double digit seeds.  Georgetown was 10-12 going into their conference tourney so history suggests they are looking at a 12 or 13 seed, or at best an 11. 

Maryland, on the other hand, is also a likely double digit seed - and is probably overrated.  They have gone 6-9 vs teams that are going to make the tourney which is to get them in, despite two losers to Penn St and one to Northwestern. They are the classic BCS team that gets a million chances to win games that get them into the tourney and even with a losing record in those chances, as long as they win a few, it doesn’t matter how many they lose or who else they lose to.   St Louis is a better team that Maryland and so is Utah St.  I’m guessing Maryland gets a 10. 

Last night was also bad for SLU’s chances with Georgetown and Oregon St stealing bids, though their win over LSU looks better after LSU dismantled Arkansas.  SLU has a strong case to get in over teams like Drake and louisville, but they are at the mercy of the committee and how they deal with teams impacted by Covid - I just hope they are consistent and don’t give the benefit of the doubt to some teams impacted but not others.

3/14/2021 10:56 am  #220

I will be totally pissed if Duke sneaks its way in.

Board footera