GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/09/2020 10:29 am  #61

Re: Other Games - November

GW73,  it seems as if the NCAA allowed everyone(who applied) immediate eligibility. Maybe the COVID pandemic caused the NCAA to be generous with the waivers this year. GW may have been able to get a waiver for Lindo if they wanted, even without a legitimate reason. I saw some of St.John's 3-point win over Rider and Toro never got into the game. St.John's best players/leading scorers appear to be 2 forwards, Julian Champagnie and Vincent Cole, both of them could be keeping Toro on the bench. 

Rhode Island at #13 Wisconsin   4:30  Big 10 Network  -  I believe Wisconsin was scheduled to play another school who had to back out due to COVID and Rhode Island jumped in to play at the last minute. 

Northern Iowa at #19 Richmond   6   ESPN+

12/09/2020 10:53 am  #62

These are the kind of games if the A10 is going to have a shot at 3-5 bids, we're going to need to win quite a few of with this rigged new system to favor the Power 5s.  Rhode Island on the road at Wisconsin, 13th ranked Wisconsin.

Got the big win over Kentucky banked, need to land a bunch... and eventually for the rebuilding GW program, well a rising tide lifts all.....

Question for T, or anyone, thoughts on Luke Garza's NBA outlook?  He keeps coming back, and he's a tremendous college player, don't even seem him on several Mock Drafts, I get it but like.... really? Luke Garza can tear up the most elite college frontcourts, and year there are some questions about his mobility at the next level, but figures he'd at least be a NBA depth piece no?? 

Last edited by The Dude (12/09/2020 11:01 am)

12/09/2020 11:27 am  #63

Thomas wrote:

GW73,  it seems as if the NCAA allowed everyone(who applied) immediate eligibility. Maybe the COVID pandemic caused the NCAA to be generous with the waivers this year. GW may have been able to get a waiver for Lindo if they wanted, even without a legitimate reason. I saw some of St.John's 3-point win over Rider and Toro never got into the game. St.John's best players/leading scorers appear to be 2 forwards, Julian Champagnie and Vincent Cole, both of them could be keeping Toro on the bench. 

Rhode Island at #13 Wisconsin   4:30  Big 10 Network  -  I believe Wisconsin was scheduled to play another school who had to back out due to COVID and Rhode Island jumped in to play at the last minute. 

Northern Iowa at #19 Richmond   6   ESPN+

To be accurate, what is keeping Toro on the bench is the same reason he was ineffective last year here and relegated to the bench, he unfortunately has never been the same player following his injury (save for a few minutes in OT versus Davidson)..

12/09/2020 3:48 pm  #64

Tremendous slate last night, unfortunately several big games cancelled today.  
Big10 ACC has provided some really good show down match ups though

Would be cool to see College Football force teams to matchup like that you can go a month of college football without as many good showdowns as we had in one night in college hoops last night.  

Maybe The A10 could pair up with the WCC and start their own inter-league annual tradition, of the best non power 5s.  The American could get into the mix too or say WCC vs Mountain West and A10 could pair up with the American instead.  

12/09/2020 6:16 pm  #65

Maryland getting blown out by a not so good Clemson team.
Their cupcake schedule was as bad as ours - only difference being they won those games and we didn't.

12/09/2020 7:03 pm  #66

The Richmond-Northern Iowa game is on NBC Sports Washington+, you all need to search on how to find this channel, I have no idea how to go about it, you may have a button on your remote that shows sports scores and you can just click on this game. Northern Iowa has a 2 point lead at the half.

Joel Joseph,  I thought Maryland was legit because they blew out the 3 cupcakes they played, but the low Big 10 projection look to be accurate when you see how bad they played for the majority of this game at Clemson. Former Fordham star Nick Honor played well for Clemson today

Rhode Island also pretty convincingly at Wisconsin. Rhode Island was a substitute for Louisville. 

Last edited by Thomas (12/09/2020 7:16 pm)

12/10/2020 12:17 am  #67

Richmond beat Northern Iowa by 10, but I wanted mention a potential NBA player on their team in sophomore Tyler Burton, he appears to have taken the sophomore leap after being a role player as a freshman. The ESPN announcers took note of his NBA potential during Richmond's win at Kentucky, and he played well again tonight. It could be something to watch as the season goes on, he's about 6-7, athletic and can shoot 3's. 

12/11/2020 8:55 pm  #68

If you have not yet, give Creighton a watch, they are silly good, tons of talent.

What a great job by Greg McDermott in the very tough Big East, lot of fun to watch.  Dangerous team come NCAA tourney time

12/11/2020 11:59 pm  #69

The other game of the night was seeing Kevin Sumlin, still somehow employed, getting beat by his arch rival, a previously winless Arizona St team, 70-7.

That's no typo, winless Arizona St beat Arizona, 70-7.  Well, they are now a 1 win Arizona St team and I'd imagine Sumlin and the AD will be meeting faster than you can say Inigo Montayo.

12/12/2020 11:37 am  #70

Terrible news out of the Florida vs FSU, Florida's Keyontae Johnson collapsed early in the game, has been rushed to the hospital.  Hoping for the best for the young man, concerned and hopeful its not another Hank Gathers tragedy

Because it was so early in the game, and he was playing well and not particularly fatigued, its very concerning.  Collapsing in any circumstances would be troubling but in the context of the early part of the game, during a TO,  alarmed for his well being.

SEC pre-season player of The Year, local product out of VA.  Hoping for the best.

Last edited by The Dude (12/12/2020 11:40 am)

12/12/2020 11:46 am  #71

Completely irresponsible Dude to speculate that this is/could be another Hank Gathers tragedy. Trainers are so much better prepared these days with advanced life saving equipment including AEDs. I am hoping and praying the young man will be fine but let's not even go there until you know the facts.

12/12/2020 12:07 pm  #72

I wasn't even aware that there was a college basketball game being played now(started at 11AM eastern), let's hope everything is okay with Keyontae Johnson. I just turned the game on and its late in the 1st half, Keyontae Johnson is now trending on social media platforms

La Salle vs Drexel                   2
Mississippi State vs. Dayton   3  ESPNU - this game is being played in Atlanta
Old Dominion at VCU              5  NBC SportsNetwork

12/12/2020 2:38 pm  #73

12/13/2020 10:35 am  #74

Keyontae Johnson is now listed as critical but stable condition.  He also had contracted Covid-19 earlier in the year.  No way to draw any conclusions but I am more than a little curious as to what if any after effects those who contracted and recovered from the virus become more susceptible to receiving.

12/13/2020 11:01 am  #75

GWRising wrote:

Completely irresponsible Dude to speculate that this is/could be another Hank Gathers tragedy. Trainers are so much better prepared these days with advanced life saving equipment including AEDs. I am hoping and praying the young man will be fine but let's not even go there until you know the facts.

Completely agree GWRising...
Prayers go out to Keyontae Johnson.

12/13/2020 11:02 am  #76

Definitely evidence of long-term cardiac problems for some Covid-19 recoveries. I'm sure we all wish the kid well and a quick recovery.  I'm surprised they continued to play that game.  

12/13/2020 12:08 pm  #77

LSF and BC,  I agree with you guys, we've heard about heart problems being a possible underlying condition of COVID, especially for athletes. Let's hope that whatever caused Keyontae Johnson to collapse had nothing to do with COVID because if it did, it could be a game-changer when it comes to how all sports proceed. The most recent updates I've seen indicate that Keyontae Johnson is still in a Tallahassee hospital right now(almost 24 hours later) in stable condition, there doesn't seem to be any positive or negative news about his condition. 

UMass vs. Northeastern    right now  - they just played a few days ago, UMass won by double digits. It was UMass' first game of the year

Rhode Island  at Western Kentucky   right now    CBS SportsNetwork

#19 Richmond at #11 West Virginia   1  ESPN   - this may be Richmond's last chance to pick up a big-time win and move up to/stay a top 10 to 15 team for the whole year. 

St.John's at Georgetown   7:30   FS1  -  Toro returns to D.C.!! Maybe he can contribute in knocking off the Hoyas. This was supposed to be UConn at Geogetown, but UConn had COVID issues, so St.John's replaced them

12/14/2020 4:01 pm  #78

12/14/2020 4:55 pm  #79

Obviously not a good development for this young man. In the article, I was troubled by the family member (grandfather?) comment that they think "he may have some brain activity". Prayers continue for Keyontae.

12/16/2020 11:38 am  #80

Florida basketball's twitter page posted some positive news about Keyontae Johnson's status and recovery. 

https://twitter.com/GatorsMBK/status/1338949071416012804   

Board footera