GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/11/2020 11:37 pm  #21

Re: How Vested Are You?

I’m a 3.  This is not a wins and losses year so I want to be entertained by seeing improvement and optimism for the future.  I am seeing neither of those things right now, so my mindset is “wake me in a couple of years when we can expect to get back over .500.”  I don’t fault Coach Christian.  He should have five years if there is improvement each year.  I’m disgusted with the administration for letting the program fall into such a state of disrepair.  And that we wasted three years with Coach Joseph, so asking us to be patient with Coach Christian is asking us to participate in a 6-8 year rebuild!  We are headed to our third straight year placing sub-225 Ken Pom.  Hobbs went up +90 spots Ken Pom in his second year.  Lonergan +60 spots.  Joseph was -60 spots.  Christian is currently +11, so let’s see how it goes.

Last edited by Motsach (12/11/2020 11:39 pm)

12/12/2020 2:35 am  #22

The references to Hobbs and Lonergan make me sad, as both of those were coaches that had success that could have been sustained if the administration didn’t pull the rug out from under both of them.  Even when this university manages to do the right thing and get the basketball program on track, it seems like they always find a way to mess it up.

12/12/2020 10:03 am  #23

Excellent point, porter71

12/12/2020 10:05 am  #24

Gentlemen, I took a break from the board for the past week.  Life has been challenging enough with the pandemic and its impacts and the fractured American landscape, and frankly I just couldn't handle the emotions that were sure to be present on the board after our incredibly disappointing start.  

So I guess this puts me in group 3.  I would have thought that I was a 1 or a 2, as I believed I had no expectations for this year, that this was simply a tune-up for next year.

I was wrong.  It took these losses for me to realize that even with low expectations that I did in fact expect GW to be competitive.  

The question for me is why?  Why haven't we been anywhere close to good.  I expected a run 'n gun flow, with massive amounts of three point attempts (and makes).  I expected a team, and not a bunch of individuals.  I sincerely hope that these losses do set us up for something better this year, but I will quietly languish in the corner if it doesn't.  

So, yes, I'm a 3.

(Oddly enough, there are more threes on this board than in our actual games...)

12/12/2020 4:23 pm  #25

BGF

Funny you took a break - I did as well. While I had no misguided thoughts about winning the A-10, I thought  we would be a much improved team.  Even after the 1st 2 games, I get that there was a bunch of new players and it may have taken a couple of games to get settled.  I even gave Coach the benefit of doubt that, similar to last year, he was just seeing what type of rotations he had.

Now at a 1-4 record losing to some very poor teams, my faith in the coach is definitely shaken and none of the platitudes he uses in his pre-game and post game conferences make me feel any better about the future of the team.
We have had superior players in all of the games played.  The coaching staff is not adjusting to the other team and they are not changing the rotation when they see someone is having an off game.  We have a deeper bench - if Bishop is not playing well, let him watch for 10 min and see if he can learn something.

Last years team would beat this team right now.  Heck, some of MoJos teams would win.

Glad we are banned from going to games at the Smith Center - I am not sure I would  want to make the drive to see a team this poor.ly coached and prepared. 

Wanting to see the long game as the Coach keeps preaching, but need to see some progress to make me want to continue to buy season tickets and support the program.

Wish I was a different number but a solid 3 and leaning towards apathy.

12/12/2020 7:24 pm  #26

BGF wrote:

(Oddly enough, there are more threes on this board than in our actual games...)

BGF for the win.
And we are unused to wins.

12/12/2020 8:07 pm  #27

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

It says "George Washington" on the uniforms. I sat through the 1-27 season. This team has no chance of losing 27 games this season, so things are better than they used to be. Sure, that is a low bar, but they will get over it. I just don´t want this to be unwatchable (think Penders Crap, or a replay of the Hampton game every f-ing time they take to the court).
I cheer for the Niners and Cheetahs, too. Those are franchises that have traditionally underperfomed except for certain eras where cheering for them has meant nothing but orgasmic bliss. Right now, both are teetering between bliss and the abyss (49ers thanks to injuries, Cheetahs thanks to SARU´s managament and the Cheetahs´ mismanagement) and both play "must win" games this weekend. I am letting them take responsibility for my receeding hairline and high blood pressure this year more than I am putting the onus on JC and the players. But a loss to Dull Aware would do nothing to stave off ulcer-inducing anguish.

Yeah, well Delaware added to my angst, and the Cheetahs played a stinker today. 49ers better beat the DC Generics´ butts six ways to Sunday tomorrow or I am really going to be making a dent in my liquor and antiacid supplies...

12/13/2020 8:59 am  #28

It is interesting to see the comments here. Not sure how one goes from a 1 to a 3 in the space of 5 games if by definition a 1 is largely understanding that the results don't matter much in this pandemic season but each to his own.

12/13/2020 10:39 am  #29

I am group 2...but on the edge of group 3.

12/13/2020 10:36 pm  #30

I’m a disappointed 2

Right now I haven’t seen Bishop make decisions like a point guard. But the real problem is they don’t make the ball do the work on offense. Really static. On defense I don’t see energy.

But the reason I’m not going close to nuts is the pandemic. How crazy would it be for me to be on a ghost town campus and try to carry on? Serious termoil? Sickness and worry for your family.

Last edited by FredD (12/13/2020 10:38 pm)

Board footera