GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/23/2020 10:52 am  #1

Problems

Before I get to the point of this post, let's take a moment to salute Jamion Christian's positivity.  If I heard him correctly during his postgame press conference yesterday, I believe he actually said that he felt GW could be one of the best teams (or maybe he said better teams) in the A10 this year.  I mean, it takes a pretty upbeat person to think this after losing to the likes of Navy, Hampton, UMBC, Delaware, William & Mary and Charlotte. 

A defender might ask, "well what's he supposed to say?"  Clearly, not that.  While I understand that he doesn't want to lose the team psychologically, I think we've reached the point where lighting a fire under everyone, including himself and his staff, may not be such a bad idea.  And, if he is at all concerned with his own credibility (which I am convinced he can't be), talking about being one of the top teams in the A10 after going 1-6 against this schedule can't possibly earn him many points in this area.

OK, so I want to raise a couple of theories to try to explain why this team is 1-6.  I have three for today.

Theory #1:  The chosen analytics model may not work at this level.  We know where the NBA has gone.  Spacing the floor with three point shooters because the 40% three point shot carries roughly the same efficiency as the 60% two point shot.  JC has made no secret of his desire to launch a high percentage of three point shots.  In Bishop, Seymour, Battle and Jack, we have four guys who ought to reliably be able to knock down threes on paper.  

The problem of course is that these are not NBA players which feature many of the best outside shooters in the world.  Let's go one better, this is not Creighton or Wisconsin or Baylor where many of the top outside shooters play in college in order to thrive in a system which encourages this shot.   This is GW where it becomes more challenging to find enough consistent three point shooters to capitalize on this model.  The counterargument is that we don't see the same level of defenses as the top conferences so shouldn't this be negated?  The answer really is no.  It's akin to a great cornerback covering a great wide receiver.  The advantage ought to go to the receiver because he knows the route he'll be running while the corner has to adjust to this.

So maybe, we are at a level where we can't take advantage of the model that JC is hoping to emulate.

Theory #2:  We are a team comprised of dissonant pieces which don't fit together.  I've touched upon this before; let's call this roster construction.  What's ironic is that JC arrived with a reputation for having a clear identity (or so we thought) called mayhem.  Most of us probably think of Shaka's VCU teams where JC was exposed to havoc.  Lots of pressing, lots of trapping.  Lots of speed and athleticism.  Forcing turnovers.  Lots of easy buckets in transition.  Not really noted for great outside shooting or even decent half court sets.

While JC's GW teams have shown an occasional glimpse of playing like this, it for the most part has not.  So, what is the team's identity?  Bishop and JNJ can seemingly run all day.  Paar, Battle, Jack and Seymour all lack the requisite lateral footwork needed to stay with guys they are guarding.  When playing zone, the defensive rebounding is practically non-existent.  When playing man, there seems to be very little help defense, along with an inability to defend against the pick and roll.

On offense, I'll spare us all recounting everything.  We seem to play "the right way" for portions of games but not once over a full game.  The right way means sharing the ball, finding the open man, making smart plays, limiting turnovers and eliminating bad shot selections.  

Do we want to be a team that ideally wins in the 60's or in the 80's?  This honestly seems to vary from game to game.

Theory #3:  The old self fulfilling prophecy.  One constant about our 6 losses is that the team has been in most of these contests.  Games have often been boiled down to a handful of critical possessions where a stop is desperately needed or points must be scored.  Are feelings of doubt becoming prevalent during these situations?  Are players afraid to blow another one?  Are coaches not instilling confidence?  A self fulfilling prophecy means that because something has happened enough times in the past, you become convinced beforehand that it will happen again based on the past.  We can argue whether 6 games represent too small a sample size but when you've only played 7 games, it does appear large enough.  

Would love to know what you think of these three theories.  Or, if you have others as to why this team is 1-6 against this schedule.

12/23/2020 11:22 am  #2

Re: Problems

First, what is said in public may or may not jive with what is said to the team behind close doors. JC will not blast his team publicly - you can almost be assured of that.

You can argue for your theories but to me it boils down to five things as to why we are 1-6.

1. We have an inexperienced team with little on the court leadership at the moment. 7 of our top 9 in terms of minutes played are freshman or sophomores. One of the other two is a first-year transfer. This also leads to periods of poor chemistry and no reliable go to guy on offense other than Bishop.
2. #1 leads to poor performance in time and score settings which has cost us at least 4-5 games.
3. Our defense while improving is not there yet especially when we need key stops. This was evident in both the William & Mary and Charlotte games where we were unable to get stops down the stretch due largely to poor technique and defensive principles.
4. #3 puts tremendous pressure on your offense to be consistently strong. That is a tough standard to live up to when you are a younger and more inexperienced team. You are going to have droughts and poor play on offense.
5. Another big factor is that this team appears to lack grit. That's the intangible that wins and loses games. It shows up on 50/50 balls, it shows up on key rebounds, it shows up when we fail to get stops in key moments. We just have to become a tougher minded basketball team willing to do the little things to win. That could be youth and experience and understanding how you win. We need to hope that is the case.

The negative of course is we are 1-6. The positive is we are about 6-8 plays combined on O and D over 7 games from being 5-2 to 6-1. However, we would still basically be the same team heading into conference play.

That said, I do see signs for hope. I think the team that lost to William & Mary and Charlotte would have won all the other games.

I am hoping that we are much like the WFT - where we will get better over time and end the season better than we started it leading to a much improved year 3.

I would also add while everyone players and coaches need to do more, I do think JC is showing the ability to be flexible and try new things. Whether it was advisable to go zone or not, the fact is that he did recognize it and made a change. He has changed the lineups in an effort to find a spark. I am confident that he knows what he is doing but it has not yet taken with this group for the reasons set forth above. I am also confident that he won't stop working at it until it gets fixed.

Last edited by GWRising (12/23/2020 11:26 am)

12/23/2020 11:46 am  #3

Remember that KH team beating SLU I think 56-20, setting a D1 record for points allowed? That's my main reaction here. Rarely, you will luck into things you're not supposed to have. 
This team is doing so many fundamental things so poorly, a win against any team would be luck, not "mayhem." TM
On-court, Paar can't rebound or finish. Battle is the only proven 3-ball threat. Bishop is Potter. Seymour has one skill and we haven't seen what that is. Noel Brown < Joe Katuka. We don't defend the 3 or the post. We don't teach big men anything, not how to box out, not how to screen and roll. No one sets a real screen, because it might hurt. That last one is what I'd say is the biggest thing: We shy away from physical play. If we can't shoot an open 3 or steal and dunk, the middle 80% of plays are simply not being executed.
The body language is horrible. JNJ not getting 30 mpg is inexcusable from a fan standpoint. I think JC has already lost this team, for reasons that may not have anything to do with basketball (although, I used to think that about Toro with the hurricane in Puerto Rico etc., until I saw him play in a St. Johns uniform recently, adding to the parade of transfer-outs in the last 4 years that had national impact once they left Foggy Bottom, including Roland, Marfo, Jorgensen, Nolan, Savage and Bolden).
But again, none of this is surprising. It's OK not to win at GW now. Just don't victimize the players or end up in a(nother) WaPo expose. That's the new standard. We "need more love" in the locker room. No, not THAT kind.

12/23/2020 12:03 pm  #4

Happy Festivus

12/23/2020 2:32 pm  #5

I seem to fall somewhere between theory #2 and #3.  I was very optimistic at the beginning of the season that JC had collected a strong collection of pieces.  Unfortunately, it looks like so far those pieces just don't fit together at all.  While the excuse has been that we need these early games to work out rotations, I don't know if I could come up with a 5 who work together on both the offensive and defensive ends.  It will be interesting to see what we decide to go with against Fordham and the rest of the A-10.

I am worried that all of this losing is really effecting team morale.  You can see that there comes this point in the second half where they just continually make boneheaded plays and/or play with a lack of urgency.   Not sure if it's on the coaches or the players but they need to be able to step on the other team's throats and put them away.  They need to have a sense of pride in their own games as well.  I do wonder if the lack of fans (however small they'd be) is also playing a role in our guys not being able to have any sort of momentum?  Regardless, we are dangerously close to just being "losers" who may take over Fordham's longstanding role as doormat of the A-10.

12/24/2020 7:17 am  #6

Speaking of problems....
Looks like senior guard Maceo Jack just bailed out.

I'd have to agree with Dr. Mike's analysis above. The search for coach "#28 is not far off" and cannot and should not be far off. Oh where is Jackie Kvance, his contacts, and the administrative support he enjoyed when we need it. A big time AD with a proven track record would help immensely. 

12/24/2020 7:25 am  #7

The next AD should pick the next coach.

Although I am not up on GW budget matters, I imagine GW does not  have or would not spend additional big bucks on a new coach while still paying JC not to coach.

12/24/2020 7:54 am  #8

Exactly right Mike K. When I say give him 4 years in no way do I see a defined path to the top half of the conference. We have better athletes playing much like the previous regime. However itsa crazy year and again the school has NO money.

12/24/2020 9:48 am  #9

GWMayhem, I'll take your theories and call them observations.

I like your first observation--especially when paired with observation two. JC has a vision of how the game should be played and the pieces moved on the board based on analytics and observations of what others have done.  He takes those learnings and tries to implement them with his own talent.

So far, it's not working--which leads me to my own observation--lack of adjustments.  My own experience in life as a work leader and sports fan is that the leaders who have the most success are the ones who can make adjustments--both at a macro and micro level.  Macro means being capable of observing the world around you, assessing the talent you have, and making changes in your approach to create an environment where each individual can maximize their potential to succeed as a person and colelctively as as team.  Not easy when you're dealing with young egos--but a critical skill toward lasting success.  A good checkpoint on assess progress work product is determining whether players improve over time or appear to regress.  I'm concerned that we are seeing more of the latter  It also bothers me that we lost two sons in coaching families.  Perhaps JM and MJ reinforced negativity in each other, but the bad outcome can't be ignored.

On a micro level, I'm trying to think in 40 JC games how much we've seen GW change up things during a game to counter an opponent's moves.  While Lonergan could be accused of trying to orchestrate every single move on the court, he clearly had an in-game plan with multiple adjustments.  Mojo and JC?  If it's there, I'm not seeing it, Whether it's working to counter an opponents' moves on defense (as simple as trying to force a left handed dribbler to go right) or seeking to exploit weaknesses/mismatches of the opponent while we are on offense--I have a hard time appreciating the adjustments.  

Is that a result of overcoaching and players thinking too much instead of having some basic fundamentals and perfecting simple reads and react?  I'm not sure.  However, several years back a major D1 football with seven future NFLers (including first rounders) on its regular roster probably lost a shot at a national championship because its defensive coordinator utilized complex NFL schemes that repeatedly didn't work at the college level with his personnel. Rather than being a feared steady shutdown defense as it should have been, it was one that could generate occasional great plays, but gave up yards and points well beyond anything that level of talent should have yielded. Bottom Line: That was entirely a function of coaching, not talent.

When I look at this team, even with inexperience, it still has better talent than last year.  So at the end of the day, the question for me is this: Does JC have a coaching philosophy and approach that is trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole of his ideal vision or does he have the humility to take a step back, look at the talent he has, and use all of his coaching acumen to say, "This is what I've got and I'm going to utilize this talent in a manner that maximizes what THEY are actually capable of acheiving rather than what I HOPE they are capable of achieving."

Having said all that--on offense, we still do not have a sufficiently talented point guard whose innate mindset is running an offense that will make everyone look better. 

Merry Christmas and Happy Chanukah!        

Last edited by CenterCourt (12/24/2020 3:36 pm)

12/26/2020 5:08 pm  #10

Dr Mike wrote:

I think you guys have expertly identified the deficiencies in the head coach. That raises an important question on the recruitment of JC and due diligence. In most cases the recruitment for a head coach includes speaking with opposing coaches, conference commissioner, graduates and transfer basketball players, watching his games in person (if possible), speak with former assistants.

The GW AD does not have a background in basketball. 

Did GW put too much faith in the search firm? 

I raise this question (s) because JC did not learn how not to coach at GW. These same faults would have been identified at his other stops with good and broad diligence.

Apparently Vogel doesn't have a background in basketball or those connections. GW appears to have been in a rush to get past the incident (Lonergan/ Nero) so their focus could return to other serious issues. I agree that due diligence was most likely not exercised properly.

12/26/2020 5:22 pm  #11

RobSmithoasas wrote:

Dr Mike wrote:

I think you guys have expertly identified the deficiencies in the head coach. That raises an important question on the recruitment of JC and due diligence. In most cases the recruitment for a head coach includes speaking with opposing coaches, conference commissioner, graduates and transfer basketball players, watching his games in person (if possible), speak with former assistants.

The GW AD does not have a background in basketball. 

Did GW put too much faith in the search firm? 

I raise this question (s) because JC did not learn how not to coach at GW. These same faults would have been identified at his other stops with good and broad diligence.

Apparently Vogel doesn't have a background in basketball or those connections. GW appears to have been in a rush to get past the incident (Lonergan/ Nero) so their focus could return to other serious issues. I agree that due diligence was most likely not exercised properly.

Hypothetical question: Would you rather have JC as coach right now or Dave Paulsen?  Paulsen's resume looks like the type of resume some have said they'd wish JC had.  He's kept Mason at almost exactly .500 but has never really threatened in conference play. 

As bad as our results have been under JC, I would still rather be in our position than Mason right now.

Last edited by GW0509 (12/26/2020 5:22 pm)

Board footera