GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/23/2020 11:33 am  #1

Lincoln Ball

Not much discussion yet about Lincoln Ball getting the start.  We did get off to an 11-0 start so maybe we will continue to see him start. Sounds from the press conference like JC started him for his defense.

And I’ll say this, our offense stinks and our defense stinks.  And if our offense is just going to be Bishop drives and shoots or makes one pass and someone shoots, then the offense of Ball barely matters - so maybe it’s worth to improve our defense.

In other words, normally it would be a problem to be 4 on 5 on offense because you play a defender who can’t score (not saying Ball can’t, but he hasn’t shown it yet)  - but since our offense is 2 on 5 anyway, we aren’t losing anything by putting a better defender in there. Hopefully it works.

12/23/2020 11:50 am  #2

Re: Lincoln Ball

Is the topic "Ball is getting minutes" or is it "Ball is getting Nelson's minutes" -?
Second straight game with a new starting backcourt, after Brelsford replaced JNJ last time.

12/23/2020 11:59 am  #3

I'm sure JC entered this season thinking that we have enough talent this year that he wouldn't have to play his freshmen 30+ minutes a game like last year.  Given our performance so far, I am all for giving Lincoln, Tyler and Noel opportunities beyond the last minute or two of blowouts, not because I am convinced that they can definitely help contribute to better team performances, but because I'd like to find out whether this is the case. 

At this point, I want to see us play like a complete team for 40 minutes.  Wins will follow if we can actually achieve this.

12/23/2020 4:01 pm  #4

Lets see what Ball, Brown, and Brelsford have at any point of these games.  

We are already seeing what the coaching staff has or doesn't have.  

12/26/2020 1:12 am  #5

Ball is the consummate team player. Don’t have to worry about his ability to score, just his opportunity to receive passes. Same goes for Brelsford. Both freshmen can contribute and should have the chance with the sudden departure of Maceo though JNJ should be the biggest beneficiary.

12/26/2020 8:49 am  #6

Ball seems to have very good court instincts, awareness and plays within himself. Brelsford also seems to have potential, at least in the limited minutes we have seen both, against the
type of opponents we have seen so far.

12/26/2020 3:54 pm  #7

Ball and Brelsford will see more time but we really need JNJ to step up his game in Conference play. He has the ability to do so.

12/26/2020 5:33 pm  #8

Sure hope you are right Poog. Like centers in hockey. Point guards who can play 94 feet are the surest way to improve a team’s overall play. Lord knows I’d love it.

Board footera