GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/02/2021 2:54 pm  #1

GW vs Duquesne Game 2 Thread

Back to back days, back to back games, same opponent, same venue (a GW first??)

As Yogi said, feels like Deja Vu all over again.

2pm Start, ESPN+ for the broadcast??

1/02/2021 6:46 pm  #2

Re: GW vs Duquesne Game 2 Thread

Well, the positive is that we are due for a win and now we know about Duquesne. It would be odd for any
decent A-10 team to lose 2 back to back games at home, especially against a team that isn't the very cream of the league.
    But the coaching difference is clear. Dambrot adjusted at the half and dominated. His team plays as a team and makes the extra pass, even one extra to their detriment at one point. But you could see the difference with their backdoor plays and finding the open man, which we don't even try to do. You don't need to wade into the analytics to see the difference, which happens in pretty much every game.
   We have--or had--not an abundance at all, but enough talent to at least compete at an A-10 level. It's just not coming together after 9 games, even against a team that hadn't played in a month.
   There is always the baseball lore about the player who was traded in the middle of a doubleheader and switched uniforms.
   At least so far, we're sinking enough one can at least fantasize of that happening with a veteran coach like Dambrot or others who have beat us.

1/02/2021 7:44 pm  #3

I’m not ready to dump the coach. I believe a big part of the problem is we have a roster with less than 7 A10 caliber players. Duquesne is bigger, faster, tougher, and much more
athletic and deeper than we are. It seems like a decade a go when we had 3 NBA players on the roster and several guys who made money playing in Europe. When is the last time a kid hit the floor for a loose ball? Our bigs are physically overmatched. Dean shows promise. Parr is looking like a Colonial league player. Bishop and Ball can play at this level. Perhaps the ball would be shared more if the other players could compete at this level. Moyer can play. He does a lot of things that don’t show in the box score. I hate to see who would rebound if he was not here. Time will tell re the freshmen. There has been an improvement on the defensive end. We continue to not be able to stop penetration and rebounding and 50/50 balls are lot about heart. Let’s hope the talent train is stopping at Foggy Bottom soon.

1/02/2021 9:52 pm  #4

But they don’t look like a team.Talent? Coaching? Both?

1/02/2021 10:11 pm  #5

In reference too looking like a team I have to say good players make a coach look good. Infusion of talent is a must. Time will tell about coaching. We have looked so bad early against weak comp that there have been moments lately there has been some improvement. If the talent improves and the play remains the same it’s definitely talent and coaching.

1/03/2021 12:15 am  #6

One challenge we will have in game two is that Moyer guarding Carry won’t be a shock to them this time and Carry isn’t likely to be taken out of the game again (if Moyer really shuts him down two straight games, we will have to consider him a poor man’s Yuta in ability to guard 1-4 and take out good point guards). 

I doubt Kelly will hurt us again, but Okani looked extremely confident and we will have to account for him this time, without letting Hughes or Dunn-Martin or Norman go wild this time.

Another thing that could help would be if Duq is a bit more careless with the ball after a double digit win.  They are a team that usually will turn it over a bit, so perhaps playing their first game in a month (against a soft defense) meant they were super focused, and tomorrow they will hopefully have more than 8 turnovers and maybe even we can get some transition going.

The flip side is that we saw how they guarded us.  We need a new wrinkle because if we play the same way on offense in the half court, I suspect we will do even worse. We need guys to step up and make plays for us, and to move the ball. 

Hopefully we will see some half court adjustments, or we will be looking at another double digit loss.

1/03/2021 8:04 am  #7

All very perceptive posts.   jf points out the coaching differences.   We clearly again lost the "in game" coaching contest.  Lets see what happens in the overnight adjustment coaching contest.  Until we can figure out how to run an offense which utilizes  the strengths of all 5 players on the court rather than in allowing just 2 players to put up all conference type numbers, the offense will not improve.  2 twooed indicates that we have less than 7 Atlantic 10 quality players on the roster.  This is correct, but it must also be remembered that the coach has now recruited all players on the team with the exception of Battle, and he isn't the problem.  Shame we lost 2 A-10 quality players recently, probably because they weren't 2 of the players that were being utilized properly.   I agree with Free that we got burned by 2 players that hadn't put up any numbers in their earlier 2 games, but I don't believe this was bad luck on our part, rather than good coaching on the part of Duquesne, which has instilled more than 1 or 2 scoring options for its team.  Those 2 players did well because Duquesne was able to make adjustments when their best scoring option was shut down.  As for his comment that Moyer  reminded him of a poor man's Yuta, at least defensively, I agree with that, however my analogy is still that his overall game is that of a poor man's Omar Williams.  And I also see him as another offensive option being lost because of our need to make sure that Bishop gets his 20 points per game.

1/03/2021 8:19 am  #8

This is the song they should play over the PA system pre-game today (if not for the beat at least for the lyrics)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAk0jyb3FO8

1/03/2021 2:08 pm  #9

2 offensive rebounds leads to 5 points for Duquesne.

1/03/2021 2:10 pm  #10

Lazy, unmotivated, selfish players. Horrible

1/03/2021 2:11 pm  #11

after 5 minutes, already 2 assists, equally total from entire first half yesterday.  Still not getting loose balls

1/03/2021 2:12 pm  #12

We look better and they still get the 50\50 balls

1/03/2021 2:13 pm  #13

Bishop to Battle and Brelsford like that could have been done in all season

1/03/2021 2:14 pm  #14

Battle has developed into a wonderful diversified scorer

1/03/2021 2:16 pm  #15

Wonderful things happening on offense, with Bishop on the bench.  Hmmm

1/03/2021 2:16 pm  #16

When they play like this, it's clear that this team has talent.  What they've lacked is consistency and focus.  Would love to see them keep the intensity for the full 40 today.

1/03/2021 2:16 pm  #17

Brelsford showing from nice stuff.

1/03/2021 2:18 pm  #18

i have a crush on brelsford

1/03/2021 2:18 pm  #19

up to 6 assists, passing all of yesterday after less than 10 minutes

1/03/2021 2:19 pm  #20

With the other point guard there is more distribution. Good to see.

Board footera