GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/03/2021 2:39 pm  #41

Re: GW vs Duquesne Game 2 Thread

Dang! Bishop had Moyer cutting a second time but tried the pull up floater.  If it ain't broke don't fix it.

1/03/2021 2:40 pm  #42

I'm liking that Duq has made some runs but we've responded back.  That didn't happen in OOC.

1/03/2021 2:42 pm  #43

GW0509 wrote:

Dang! Bishop had Moyer cutting a second time but tried the pull up floater.  If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Come on.  That’s at least an 80% shot for Bishop, even though he missed.  He made the right play.  Moyer would have been surrounded and probably missed or gone to the line.

I can’t believe the way this board kills Bishop every time he misses or makes a bad play, but kind of ignores when he’s playing great. 

One thing I loved is that twice in the last couple minutes, Bishop saw Duq player pop out to stop him from going left and he cut back inside like a running back, once for the dish to Moyer and once for the floater that didn’t go.

1/03/2021 2:45 pm  #44

Really wish Bishop hit that shot at the end. For some reason I have a feeling that 3 will end up being important. Hope I'm wrong.

1/03/2021 2:47 pm  #45

Free Quebec wrote:

GW0509 wrote:

Come on. That’s at least an 80% shot for Bishop, even though he missed. He made the right play. Moyer would have been surrounded and probably missed or gone to the line.

You're probably right, that was written in the heat of the moment.  FWIW I actually really like Bishop.

1/03/2021 2:48 pm  #46

Simple: Bishop's not a team player, though he has skills to be a great one.
This rep came before GW,by the way. JC ,except for our early start today,is Ok with that in general.
So,except early today and much of first half against Fordham,we don't play as a team.
The rest of the teams we play have more of a team approach and beat us.

1/03/2021 2:50 pm  #47

I will say what no one here wants to hear:
1) GW may be the worst team in the country at protecting a 10+-point first half lead.
2) Duques look really out of sorts compared to yesterday. Was there a French rave outside their hotel last night, or are they not taking it seriously because they are playing in practice unis?
3) Multiple passes on offense lead to open shots. Seems like something GW should not have needed nine games to figure out, but hopefully it is lesson learned.
4) No one in Pittsburgh is paying attention, this is going head-to-head with a Steelers game.

1/03/2021 2:53 pm  #48

Well, before the game I posted that Duq took unusually great care of the ball in game 1 with only 8 turnovers, and that we’d probably see more today (and needed to).   That has come true with 12 Duq turnovers in the first half.

Now I would say it likely goes the other way In the second half and Duq probably cuts that number in half.  That means we have to adjust and find other ways to score and continue to lock down the half court.

I also predicted we wouldn’t see Kelly and Okani go off again (esp Kelly) and so far so good. Kelly has particularly reverted to form with 0 points, 0 rebounds a, and 2 turnovers.  However regression once again giveth and taketh away with Maceo Austin going from scoreless yesterday to 11 today. 

Duq has too many players to shut down everyone, but if we can keep doing the job on Carry, Dunn-Martin, Hughes, and Weathers, we’ve got a great shot to hang on (easier said that done - I particularly expect them to try to get Hughes going after foul trouble kept him down.  Look for a big 2h from him.  Out bigs need to be ready.)

1/03/2021 2:54 pm  #49

Free Quebec wrote:

GW0509 wrote:

Come on. That’s at least an 80% shot for Bishop, even though he missed. He made the right play. Moyer would have been surrounded and probably missed or gone to the line.

I can’t believe the way this board kills Bishop every time he misses or makes a bad play, but kind of ignores when he’s playing great.

One thing I loved is that twice in the last couple minutes, Bishop saw Duq player pop out to stop him from going left and he cut back inside like a running back, once for the dish to Moyer and once for the floater that didn’t go.

I know that I am probably one of the Bishop bashers, but I do recognize him as an incredibly gifted shooter and passer.   My concern is that the manner in which he is used detracts from the overall play of the team.    Too many times he is dribbling without an apparent destination, while 4 other players are essentially standing around with their hands on hips and watching.  I would be curious to see his +/- for the half.  In fact,  I am very pleased with Bishops overall play in the half.  He had an off shooting night at 2-6 (I thought he may have missed some teammates down low when he took that final 3), but I love the 5 assists and 0 turnovers.  Even his defense seemed a bit better today.  Just hope he realizes that our winning the game is more important than his getting to 20.  

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (1/03/2021 2:56 pm)

1/03/2021 2:56 pm  #50

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

1) GW may be the worst team in the country at protecting a 10+-point first half lead.
2) Duques look really out of sorts compared to yesterday. Was there a French rave outside their hotel last night, or are they not taking it seriously because they are playing in practice unis?
3) Multiple passes on offense lead to open shots. Seems like something GW should not have needed nine games to figure out, but hopefully it is lesson learned.
4) No one in Pittsburgh is paying attention, this is going head-to-head with a Steelers game.

Duquesne probably came into this game overconfident, and played lazy defense and offense, and GW has just jumped all over them, or they may have participated in some unsavory activity in or around their hotel last night as you wrote!! LOL  We'll see if Duquesne wakes up in the 2nd half. 

1/03/2021 2:57 pm  #51

I feel the same way LSF.  Aimless dribbling is not efficient and depresses the rest of the team.

1/03/2021 2:57 pm  #52

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

Probably the simplest explanation is that Duq was super fired up yesterday, and today coming off the loss we are the hungrier team. Add to that, that yesterday career games from two bench guys who barely contributed in their first two games may have covered up some of the problems Duquense’s main options were having with our defense.

However, down double digits, I expect Duq to be extremely focused and fired up for the second half.  Let’s see if we can respond.

1/03/2021 2:59 pm  #53

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

GWAA, technology is good.  Got the Red Zone running on my laptop and the ESPN+ feed of the game on the telly.  Hell, I've got two more monitors to play with. 

1/03/2021 2:59 pm  #54

Unsung hero award for the half...Moyer, with 8 points, 4 rebounds and a steal, to go along with another great defense effort on Carry

1/03/2021 3:00 pm  #55

LSF,  Bishop is +5 in the first half.

1/03/2021 3:01 pm  #56

Another offensive rebound another basket given up. 

1/03/2021 3:02 pm  #57

MG14 wrote:

Another offensive rebound another basket given up. 

Rinse and repeat

1/03/2021 3:03 pm  #58

A rather sad rebounding effort.

1/03/2021 3:03 pm  #59

Beginning of crap ball and the ball hog! Great!

1/03/2021 3:03 pm  #60

How did he beat 4 GW players to the rebound?

Board footera