GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/08/2021 4:20 am  #41

Re: More Good News Coming ...

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

Is "niel" coming back to ask if games are on TV?

That’s funny.

1/08/2021 2:04 pm  #42

Does "Gillies 21"  still have fast delivery?  "The Galley" 'PORT 'O WELL STACKED SUBS. Heck, the stuff you get at Subway and Jersey Mike's can't compare. The original Jersey Mikes on the Shore was really good. Dam!  I miss the Jersey Shore. These landlocked states are sometimes a real drag in Winter, except for the Mountains.  

1/08/2021 3:51 pm  #43

Tennessee Colonial wrote:

Does "Gillies 21"  still have fast delivery?

I just dry-heaved thinking of Gilley's Own Tequila

1/08/2021 5:42 pm  #44

Mentzinger wrote:

Lindy's Red Lion may be reopening? That is good news!

Man, I was too broke for Lindy's back then. Manouch was my go-to. 

1/08/2021 9:31 pm  #45

Burbee Chick “Big Bur” - nothing better to this day. And whatever happened to all those old guys who used to sit at the bar at Bassin’s 21?

1/08/2021 9:37 pm  #46

The Astor on M between 18th and19th.Always good and always inexpensive.With belly dancing if one
was so inclined.

1/08/2021 9:54 pm  #47

and 75 cent drinks at the top of the menu.

1/08/2021 9:55 pm  #48

GW69 wrote:

The Astor on M between 18th and19th.Always good and always inexpensive.With belly dancing if one
was so inclined.

Agree on The Astor.

1/09/2021 10:11 am  #49

The big difference with JC compared to Lonergan (other than how he treats his players) is his use of social media which results in regular communications with quite a number of fans.

1/09/2021 8:19 pm  #50

Loved the Astor. And for special occasions Trader Vics and the PuPu platter. Use to go over to the Tombs on Friday for standing room only. And a  good unsteady walk back to Madison Hall. 

1/09/2021 11:01 pm  #51

fungerhall wrote:

Mentzinger wrote:

is Manouch still around?  I may have to stop by for a postgame half smoke if he is whenever fans can go back to games.

1/10/2021 8:46 am  #52

The Ross-Man! wrote:

fungerhall wrote:

Mentzinger wrote:

is Manouch still around?  I may have to stop by for a postgame half smoke if he is whenever fans can go back to games.

He hasn’t been around for a while.

https://www.gwhatchet.com/2013/10/07/a-hot-dog-man-an-allegation-and-a-disappearance/

1/10/2021 11:50 am  #53

We may have to soon return to the subject of this thread or Barry is going to get angry.   So, before I leave, I will say...Blackies Jr., Pot O Gold, Emersons and The World Bunnery (or was it the World Buttery).   I fully agree with Wisconsin Colonial about Bur Bee Chick.  And of course The All Night Bakery.   One thing that always spooked me (outside of attending class) was the prosthetic store that was on the corner of 21st and Penn.   I use to picture it as a clothing store, but with arms and legs on display rather than clothes.  Anyone else remember that?

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (1/10/2021 11:51 am)

1/10/2021 2:27 pm  #54

Before Barry stops this thread, did anyone eat at the GW Hospital cafeteria around 2  a.m.? I believe it was the only eating place open at those hours. A friend of mine thought the BLT was the best anywhere. I would say it was okay, especially because I don't remember any other places to ear that were open after 2 a.m.  So at 2 a.m. I guess that made it the best anywhere.

1/10/2021 3:06 pm  #55

21st Amendment. Not sure if they spelled it correctly.
Also a big softball hangout for those past college age.
Cheap pitchers and draft mugs. Good burgers.

1/10/2021 3:18 pm  #56

GW73 wrote:

Before Barry stops this thread, did anyone eat at the GW Hospital cafeteria around 2  a.m.? I believe it was the only eating place open at those hours. A friend of mine thought the BLT was the best anywhere. I would say it was okay, especially because I don't remember any other places to ear that were open after 2 a.m.  So at 2 a.m. I guess that made it the best anywhere.

The hospital cafeteria was opened at 2am?  Damn.  I wish someone had told me that back then.  It would have saved a lot of midnight trips to Amy Joy Donuts on New York Avenue NE

1/10/2021 3:19 pm  #57

jf wrote:

21st Amendment. Not sure if they spelled it correctly.
Also a big softball hangout for those past college age.
Cheap pitchers and draft mugs. Good burgers.

I thought that was the greatest name for a bar ever.

1/10/2021 3:45 pm  #58

Why would I stop this thread?  As far as I can tell, it's a thread that hints at good news but doesn't share even a semblance of what it's actually about.  The good news could be about the Red Lion coming back.  Or Manouch reappearing and setting up shop in front of my home (serving me my favorite dog, with grilled onions, cheese, relish, and ketchup).  Or about any of the other random things that have been mentioned so far. 

But I wouldn't mind if the intended good news actually were to be known to us.  

1/10/2021 9:50 pm  #59

GW73 wrote:

The vending machines at the GW Hospital, including microwave burgers, were a must stop at 3:00am on the way back from “happy hour” at the Charing Cross in Georgetown, which began at 1:00am!!

1/11/2021 7:38 am  #60

I’m class of 82 so if I missed this opportunity as a starving undergrad I really blew it.

Board footera