GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/11/2021 9:35 am  #61

Re: More Good News Coming ...

1.  I hope it's obvious to all that the big news will be Ricky Lindo suiting up.  I'd be amazed if the news was anything aside from this.

2. 21st Amendment was by far and away my favorite watering hole in DC.  It was also a hangout to many GW players after night games.  The guy singing/screaming Build Me Up Buttercup at the top of his lungs at the 21st Amendment would have been me.

3. Late night eating:  Two places come to mind.  Freshman year, Howard Johnsons because it was open and we didn't know any better.  Second, a bit of a trek but American Cafe in Georgetown was open all night.  Nothing better than the drunken feeling of ordering pancakes at 4am and wondering whether this was last night's dinner or today's breakfast.

1/11/2021 10:37 am  #62

We're all of different GW generations, but for me the late night eating spots were Mr. Henry's, then later on Fridays and Milo's (great white pizza).  Best pizza of all, though, was Dove & Rainbow.  

1/11/2021 11:09 am  #63

Question for the board:  There was a bar I think on either 18th, 19th or 20th Streets, in between L and M Streets (again, I think).  They used to provide peanuts at the bar and on the tables so their floor was filled with empty peanut shells.  Can anyone remember the name of this bar and where it was located?  Not a trivia question as I can't remember the answer.  Am hoping it will ring a bell once I hear the name.  Thanks.

1/11/2021 11:30 am  #64

I liked the supermarket at the Watergate. Down the escalator. Ho Jo's had all you could eat chicken. While there I noticed a disturbance across from us at the Watergate. Might have been the break-in. Another funny thing was I opened a box in my shed the other day. It was full of Hatchets from 1970-72. Just never threw them away. Maybe as a History major I felt like I could do something with them later on.

1/11/2021 11:34 am  #65

BGF wrote:

We're all of different GW generations, but for me the late night eating spots were Mr. Henry's, then later on Fridays and Milo's (great white pizza).  Best pizza of all, though, was Dove & Rainbow.  

I remember watching GW win at #1-ranked UMASSholes at the Dove & Rainbow with you. Mr. Henry´s had Oly on tap and would sell to underage students (burgers were OK, too).

1/11/2021 11:44 am  #66

The Campus Club, on G Street between 20th and 21st, that despite its name was really more of a townie bar lots of patrons from Virginia I seem to recall)  rather than a college hangout, even though there were many students there taking advantage of the 25 cent drafts 

1/11/2021 1:43 pm  #67

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

BGF wrote:

I remember watching GW win at #1-ranked UMASSholes at the Dove & Rainbow with you. Mr. Henry´s had Oly on tap and would sell to underage students (burgers were OK, too).

Mr. Henry's would get tons of high school kids coming from VA to drink circa 1988-92. In fact, we started trying to get our younger siblings served there, even if they had no intention of drinking it. The winner was my now-wife's younger sister, who was 13 at the time but looked about 10. (She didn't actually drink it).

1/11/2021 6:51 pm  #68

Let’s not forget Eddie Leonard’s and the gourmet delicacies available all night at the Greyhound bus station.

1/11/2021 7:17 pm  #69

What about Colonel Mustard's?  On G between 19th and 20th?  Great bar.

1/11/2021 9:37 pm  #70

All of these things make me excited for news...and then there is no news.

1/11/2021 11:19 pm  #71

keithgreene wrote:

What about Colonel Mustard's?  On G between 19th and 20th?  Great bar.

Was this the former Campus Club?  I can't imagine there was more than one bar on G between 19th and 2oth.

1/12/2021 9:55 am  #72

danjsport wrote:

All of these things make me excited for news...and then there is no news.

Can't have any news until we play.

1/12/2021 11:45 am  #73

why is that?  If it's a done deal why not?  If it's not a done deal, why would playing a game make a difference?

1/12/2021 12:02 pm  #74

You'll find out tomorrow when Ricky Lindo checks into the game.

1/12/2021 12:40 pm  #75

Why do we have to wait for that?

PS.  Some please tell the Ath Dept that their web site is screwed up - at least for me using a PC and Firefox.  For example, I can't click on STATS when I go to the women's basketball portion.    A general screen keeps popping up overwriting the usual menu bar.  Also the contact us item is hidden on my screen.   Shoddy programming.  

1/12/2021 12:52 pm  #76

BC wrote:

PS.  Some please tell the Ath Dept that their web site is screwed up - at least for me using a PC and Firefox.  For example, I can't click on STATS when I go to the women's basketball portion.    A general screen keeps popping up overwriting the usual menu bar.  Also the contact us item is hidden on my screen.   Shoddy programming.  

It's likely your browser.  I am having no issues when I do as you describe.  

1/12/2021 1:11 pm  #77

BC wrote:

All things come to those who wait.

1/12/2021 2:11 pm  #78

Not true.  NBC Sports DC is blacked out for me AND the stats site has the UMASS opening screen.  So, I'm still waiting for Godot.

1/12/2021 2:16 pm  #79

Of course, I forgot it's only tuesday.

1/12/2021 7:29 pm  #80

BC wrote:

Not true.  NBC Sports DC is blacked out for me AND the stats site has the UMASS opening screen.  So, I'm still waiting for Godot.

Not to worry about watching the game, BC.  ESPN+ is showing the VCU game on its schedule.   Curious as to whether the NBC Sports DC and ESPN + will both have Byron Kerr on the call. 

Board footera