GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/05/2021 9:19 pm  #1

Fordham crushes Dayton at home! What?

Fordham did beat Dayton today. Amazing. Only by 1 but that is still crazy.

1/05/2021 11:39 pm  #2

Re: Fordham crushes Dayton at home! What?

Let’s call it what it is - the A-10 is trash this year. Even worse than 2005.

1/06/2021 10:16 am  #3

fungerhall wrote:

Sorry, no.  That’s one of the worst takes ever posted to this new board.

The A10 currently has 8 teams in the KenPom top 100. In 2005, there were 4. 

The A10 is ranked 8th as a conf.  In 05, we were 13th (behind the MAC and WAC, among others). 

The A10 has just 3 teams  ranked below the top 150 out of 14.  In 05, 7 of the 12 teams were sub 150 and 3 were sub-250 (including #321). 

And despite the truncated OOC, the A10 this year has 11 top 100 wins (even, Dayton, who got upset yesterday, beat both Ole Miss and Missippi St this year).

The A10 will be a multi-bid league this year, in 05 it was an auto-bid only league.

Bad take.

1/06/2021 10:28 am  #4

Agreed FQ. And to add ... this year is a COVID year so I expect to see a lot of strange results. A lot of people underestimate the havoc COVID is playing with college basketball. For example, many of you do not know that the road team traditionally has a walk-through/practice/shoot around at the arena the day before. This year you just go there and play at most locations. Did you know GW is only allowed to use their locker room on gameday due to safety protocols? COVID is also affecting how and when you travel.  There are a whole host of changes that affect everyone but some more than others. Expect more of the unexpected this year. 

1/06/2021 11:54 am  #5

Free Quebec wrote:

fungerhall wrote:

Sorry, no. That’s one of the worst takes ever posted to this new board.

The A10 currently has 8 teams in the KenPom top 100. In 2005, there were 4.

The A10 is ranked 8th as a conf. In 05, we were 13th (behind the MAC and WAC, among others).

The A10 has just 3 teams ranked below the top 150 out of 14. In 05, 7 of the 12 teams were sub 150 and 3 were sub-250 (including #321).

And despite the truncated OOC, the A10 this year has 11 top 100 wins (even, Dayton, who got upset yesterday, beat both Ole Miss and Missippi St this year).

The A10 will be a multi-bid league this year, in 05 it was an auto-bid only league.

Bad take.

Your boy Pomeroy also has Yale rated at 102 (and all the the other Ivys rated for that matter) despite not even having a season. Simpleton fans of the game like me rely on the eye test and the eye tells me we're a 2 bid league max and there's a very real chance we only get one bid. Saint Louis is probably in and maybe VCU gets in depending on how the conference and tourney plays out. Richmond/URI/Dayton are NIT teams at best. So yes, 2 teams technically makes it a multi-bid league but I'm accustomed to the A-10 having at least 3 bids, 4 bids in better years and 5+ bids when time are really good.  

But only time will tell. 

1/06/2021 12:12 pm  #6

Written just this week by Seth Davis:  "the Atlantic 10 is as strong and deep as it has been in several years."

I'd like to think he would know.

1/06/2021 1:28 pm  #7

I agree with both FQ and Funger on this.  The A-10 is deep, but also very flat.  Definitely not one of the worst years for the conference performance wise.  A bunch of good teams but not great teams.  Out of the eight Top 100 A-10 teams on KenPom, only one is Top 50 (St. Louis at #31).  Top 50 is traditionally where you get into NCAA at large teams.  50-80 is NIT territory, as it past years the regular season champs in conferences that don’t go to the NCAAs get NIT auto bids, so only 16 or so of the 32 NIT spots are at large.

Board footera