GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/08/2021 3:10 pm  #1

GW Program On Pause Due To Positive Covid Test

Pretty sure this was not GWRising's good news 

Tyler Byrum@theTylerByrum 
George Washington men's basketball is pausing activities due to a positive COVID-19 test, per release. Their contest vs. St. Bonaventure on Saturday is postponed.

Last edited by GW0509 (1/08/2021 3:16 pm)

1/08/2021 3:21 pm  #2

Re: GW Program On Pause Due To Positive Covid Test

No. Someday we will get to the good news I hope.

This is very unfortunate but clearly not unexpected given that GW was not immune from the virus.

1/08/2021 3:37 pm  #3

Very unfortunate news.  Let's hope the virus is contained to this one individual, and that he or she fully recovers as quickly as possible.

1/08/2021 4:07 pm  #4

Wishing for good health for the staffer and everyone with whom they came in contact. 

Anyone know what “Tier 1 staffer” means?

1/08/2021 4:46 pm  #5

Tier 1 is the highest exposure tier and consists of student-athletes, coaches, athletic trainers and physical therapists, medical staff, equipment staff and officials. Tier 2 includes certain team staff and certain operational staff who may come into close contact with Tier 1 individuals but can reasonably maintain physical distance and use masks/face coverings. Tier 3 is the lowest exposure tier and includes media and broadcast workers and certain operational staff, such as housekeeping, catering, sanitation and transportation.

Last edited by Florida Colonial (1/08/2021 4:47 pm)

1/08/2021 5:20 pm  #6

knew this day was coming. surprised we made it this far into the season without a positive test. I imagine the A10 tournament and NCAA are going to be a shit show

1/08/2021 8:06 pm  #7

I feel that only a bubble could work for college basketball, but it's probably not realistic.  I hope the Tier 1 individual gets better soon and that nobody else get sick. 

1/08/2021 9:55 pm  #8

Second the last sentence, for sure.
We had been pretty good about this, but who knows?

1/09/2021 12:12 am  #9

OK, things are not confirmed but as long as everything progresses as it has over the last few hours, there is still a chance we can play VCU on 1/13 and resume practicing soon. Fluid situation that can still change. 

1/09/2021 9:12 am  #10

Considering the multiple COVID outbreaks that the Duquesne program has gone through, fair to speculate that a dearth of institutional control there could have resulted in a transmission during the double-header last weekend.

Last edited by BM (1/09/2021 9:13 am)

1/09/2021 2:58 pm  #11

Better news. I believe unless someone else tests positive we are on track for VCU. The positive test did not involve a player or coach.

1/09/2021 3:37 pm  #12

GWRising wrote:

Better news. I believe unless someone else tests positive we are on track for VCU. The positive test did not involve a player or coach.

GWRising, thank you for the update. This is great news! 

I was looking at the definition of Tier 1 that Florida Colonial posted. Is it reasonable to assume the individual(s) sick with COVID are our athletic trainers, physical therapist, medical or equipment personnel?  I hope whoever they are, they are able to quarantine and get better quickly.

1/10/2021 2:10 pm  #13

Jon Rothstein @JonRothstein 
GW returned to practice last night and has ended its quarantine, per a school spokesman.

Board footera