GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/04/2021 10:46 am  #61

Re: Team on Pause

Gwmayhem wrote:

GWRising, I understand the point you are making but maybe it's a point that needn't be made at all.  Nobody expects players or coaches to be happy with the starts and stops, the rescheduling of games, the long pauses, etc.  Isn't that just a given which does not even need to be conveyed?

Where you lose me is when you write something like, "It's easy for us to say things like shut it down, wear  a mask, social distance, take as long as it takes.  We aren't in the middle of it and we aren't 18-22 year olds."

Putting shut it down aside (since this is what would have happened by now if this was universally felt by all), the rest of it IS easy to say.  It is easy to say Wear a Mask.  It is easy to say social distance.  It is easy to say take as long as it takes.  These things ARE easy because they are the RIGHT things to do.  Every coach should be saying these things.  Every 18-22 year old player should be saying these things.

Again, I'm not suggesting that any player or coach should be happy about all of this, or shouldn't feel terribly frustrated by all of this.  But when it comes to doing the right things during a public health crisis, there should absolutely be no debate whatsoever.

You miss the point. Nobody is saying they won't do the right things necessary from a public health standpoint. Nobody. Not a coach, not a player and certainly not me.

But don't conflate that with a real concern for the toll this prolonged pause is taking on our players and coaches' mental health. Stuck in your dorm room 24/7 on a prolonged basis with no defined end in sight is no way a 18-22 should live and it has other effects besides the physical. This is especially true of student-athletes who are conditioned to be more active. For you and I presumably with a lot more experience in life, it might be easier to shrug this off and persevere. I think we do our players a disservice if we only focus on their physical well-being.

2/04/2021 11:10 am  #62

Rising-I AM A MENTAL HEALTH professional.Take my word for it -if this is the worst thing that has or 
will ever happen to them they will have led a blessed life.This is NOTHING.In some forty years as a 
therapist I would rank this issue for these 18-22 year olds as a 2 out of 10.

2/04/2021 11:20 am  #63

After five minutes of deep reflection I amend my last post.It’s a 3 out of 10.My apologies.

2/04/2021 11:45 am  #64

I won't delve into the severity of mental health issue this ranks.  I've acknowledged all along that players have every right to feel terribly frustrated by this.  

If I've missed a point, it's because your choice of words leaves a lot to be desired.  When you write:

"It's easy for us to say things like shut it down, wear  a mask, social distance, take as long as it takes.  We aren't in the middle of it and we aren't 18-22 year olds."

it's practically impossible not to infer that you're suggesting that it is not easy for 18-22 year olds to wear masks and socially distance.

Then, you go back and state that of course the players and coaches will do these things.  So why don't we just leave it at players are very upset and frustrated over the starts and stops and pauses of this season, but that they are more than willing to wear masks and socially distance because they know that's the right thing to do amidst a public health crisis.

Problem solved (I hope).

2/04/2021 12:16 pm  #65

I’ll delve into it again.It’s a 3 out of 10.It is thoughtful of you Rising to think about the impact on the players 
during this time.While this may be challenging for them in the scheme of all life “sufferings”this is not what I would expect to be at the top of their list as they look back on there life.This does not mean to say that if they 
walked into my office I wouldn’t take their current “suffering” seriously.I’ve heard many stories in my 
professional life.I take them all seriously and sincerely.This story is less serious than most.

2/04/2021 12:21 pm  #66

GW69 wrote:

Rising-I AM A MENTAL HEALTH professional.Take my word for it -if this is the worst thing that has or 
will ever happen to them they will have led a blessed life.This is NOTHING.In some forty years as a 
therapist I would rank this issue for these 18-22 year olds as a 2 out of 10.

I would generally agree but you say that with 40 years of experience presumably with all types of mental health concerns. But I think you would have to admit that most of these kids don't have enough perspective to state that or feel that in context. To some of them, this is an immediate existential crisis. I think us "older" adults discount that.

2/04/2021 12:27 pm  #67

I couldn’t finish my thought.—-in so far as it entails less suffering than most.

2/04/2021 12:35 pm  #68

What I’m trying to get across Rising that even now as 18-22 year olds although painful it does not reach
the level of “suffering” of other people of their age that I have worked with.Sorry if I’ve been unclear.
I really do admire your concern.My wish for any of these young men that if they find themselves depressed
from this episode that they seek help.

2/04/2021 3:22 pm  #69

It would be great to have a few games, if just to have something better than this thread on the board.

2/04/2021 4:40 pm  #70

Thanks for the rejoinder-I always find your posts relevant.

2/04/2021 5:44 pm  #71

Yes, not nearly as stimulating as referring to someone here as having a Neo Nazi agenda...

You really should be ashamed of yourself.  

(From BGF, I'm leaving this up here becasue it references something that did happen on the board.  But I implore everyone to calm the F*** down.  It's like thermonuclear war around here...at the end, nobody wins.)

Last edited by BGF (2/04/2021 10:10 pm)

2/04/2021 10:06 pm  #72

And I think we've now gone too far, again.  Will be locking this thread and contacting the people involved.  And I was having such a beautifully peaceful evening watching a documentary concert about New Order.  

B.

Last edited by BGF (2/04/2021 10:10 pm)

Board footera