GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/22/2021 2:47 pm  #1

Big A-10 News: NBC Sports Network to Shut Down

John Ourand @Ourand_SBJ 
NBC has told distributors and some sports leagues that it plans to shut down its NBCSN sports channel by the end of the year. Story coming in SBD

It remains to be seen whether A-10 games will stay on Peacock (NBC's streaming service) or go to ESPN+.  In any event, NBCSN was great national exposure for the A-10.  We are now down to CBS Sports Network on occasion and main ESPN on even rarer occasions.  

1/22/2021 3:01 pm  #2

Re: Big A-10 News: NBC Sports Network to Shut Down

This is a shock when considering that the conference and NBC literally extended their agreement just ten days ago.  Would have to think that Peacock will get rights to these games.  Wonder if NBC broadcasts a select few while importing what is entirely weekend games (except for the conference tournament) to CNBC USA, or NBC regional sports networks. 

1/22/2021 4:05 pm  #3

That was quick. 

Joe Flint @JBFlint·33m 
Atlantic Ten Basketball also moving to USA Network as part of NBC Sports Network shutdown.

1/22/2021 9:23 pm  #4

Can we get some good news? Seems like everything is trending down for GW and the A-10.

1/22/2021 10:13 pm  #5

This isn't bad news, FungerHall.  USA is in every cable and satellite package.  NBCS does not have the same market penetration, with about 11 million fewer homes than USA.

1/23/2021 10:42 am  #6

BGF wrote:

This isn't bad news, FungerHall.  USA is in every cable and satellite package.  NBCS does not have the same market penetration, with about 11 million fewer homes than USA.

Thanks, @BGF. Yeah, I looked into it further and saw that they’re moving all of their sports assets to the much bigger and more widely distributed USA Network. There’s a possibility that exists where it may actually give us more exposure. Plus now I can catch reruns of Covert Affairs and a GW game without touching the remote. Guess that makes it the best news I’ve heard all season.

1/23/2021 11:33 am  #7

fungerhall wrote:

Plus now I can catch reruns of Covert Affairs and a GW game without touching the remote. Guess that makes it the best news I’ve heard all season.

But what will you do if the GW game preempts the rerun of "Covert Affairs"? This was not a problem you had to worry about before...

Board footera