GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/26/2021 1:37 pm  #1

Fordham fires Jeff Neubauer

.@FordhamMBB & HC Jeff Neubauer have parted ways, effectively immediately

Shaheen Holloway at St Peters might be a smart hire there

1/26/2021 2:41 pm  #2

Re: Fordham fires Jeff Neubauer

Why.  Under the definition of Coaching Black Hole is a picture of the Fordham Ram.

1/26/2021 3:31 pm  #3

BM wrote:

Why.  Under the definition of Coaching Black Hole is a picture of the Fordham Ram.

Agree, Why fire him in January? Did someone urgently need his parking spot? Did he (again) put fish in the office microwave? Odd timing, and a nowhere job that is not more attractive because they can begin their coaching search now.

1/26/2021 3:41 pm  #4

Patrick Stevens...

https://twitter.com/D1scourse/status/1354149001214439424?s=20

Fordham's coach-by-coach records since entering the A-10 in 1995-96 ...

Nick Macarchuk: 28-80 (10-54 A-10)
Bob Hill: 38-76 (18-46)
Dereck Whittenburg: 69-112 (37-59)
Jared Grasso (interim): 1-22 (0-16)
Tom Pecora: 44-106 (13-69)
Jeff Neubauer: 61-104 (25-73)

I'll let someone who watches Fordham more than a few times a year say whether the coaching is an issue.

But even if it is, I'm reasonably confident it isn't the only problem, or anywhere near the biggest problem.

https://twitter.com/D1scourse/status/1354164699185750022

So I've found myself down a Fordham basketball rabbit hole in the last hour or so, and it's not exactly a frequently explored warren. 

But I'll admit it is surprisingly entertaining for someone who appreciates hoops history.

There was the year Tom Penders left for Rhode Island in early October and Fordham fired his assistants ... only to re-hire one back as an interim head coach a few days later. @JFeinsteinBooks had all the details of that wacky season in February 1987:

https://t.co/XJnqAUr8gY

The last time Fordham hired a head coach without head coaching experience for anything but an interim deal was Dick Stewart in 1976. He didn't last two seasons, though he later was an assistant at N.C. State under his college teammate Jim Valvano.

https://t.co/enE7ipzWvB

FWIW, that's six consecutive full-time hires Fordham has made who have brought either pro or college head coaching experience to the job. Only other A-10 school with a streak that long is Saint Louis.

When Fordham fired Stewart in January 1978, assistant Tracy Tripucka took over. 

Tripucka is Lafayette's career scoring leader with nearly 2,000 points in three seasons. Part of a strong sports family. Dad was a QB at ND and in the NFL/AFL. Brother Kelly was a 2x NBA all-star.

Fordham was part of one of the most bizarre sequence of head coaching jobs in anyone's career when in 1999 it gave Bob Hill a 10-year deal (he lasted four).

Hill's last head coaching gig before Fordham was the San Antonio Spurs. His next one was the Seattle SuperSonics.

Last edited by BM (1/26/2021 3:42 pm)

1/26/2021 5:24 pm  #5

In the A10's history, there has never been, nor will there likely ever be, a better dressed coach than Bob Hill.  He wore those NBA Italian-cut suits remarkably well.  I can only imagine the conversation between Hill and his agent after he was fired by the Spurs:

Hill: I need another head coaching job.  Preferably in the NBA but I'd coach college if I have to.
Agent:   I think I have one for you.
Hill:  Great.  But I don't want to live out in the sticks.
Agent:  No problem.  This is a major metropolitan market.  New York in fact.
Hill:  Excellent.  That's where I started, coaching the Knicks.  So where's the opening?  St. John's?  The Hall?
Agent: Fordham
Hill:  You're kidding.
Agent:  10 year contract.
Hill: Fordham it is.

1/26/2021 6:38 pm  #6

Gwmayhem wrote:

In the A10's history, there has never been, nor will there likely ever be, a better dressed coach than Bob Hill.  He wore those NBA Italian-cut suits remarkably well.

I can see how the conference of John Chaney and Phill Martinelli may not have a reputation for houte couture, but I disagree because Karl Hobbs had some amazing suits-- I always wanted to know who his tailor was (but was afraid that, like a yacht, if I had to ask I would be unable to afford it).

Last edited by GW Alum Abroad (1/26/2021 6:38 pm)

1/26/2021 8:50 pm  #7

What amazes me, again, is not only have they been bad so bad, but the caliber of some of the players they attracted but failed to retain.

What does a team with Paschall Severe and Chartouny look like? Shame they couldn't retain their top talent

The right Coach can recruit anywhere, it isn't like Buffalo or Spokane WA are utopian paradises to build programs. Someone will eventually turn Fordham around

Board footera