GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/29/2021 2:55 pm  #1

John Chaney Passed Away

Will always remember him sitting in the corner of the upper deck in the yellow seats 30 minutes before the game quietly watching the players warmup.

Best coach I've watched and always got the most out of his players.

RIP

1/29/2021 3:07 pm  #2

Re: John Chaney Passed Away

Should also be said he would probably not remain coach long in the current environment with his tough love principles. Also, straight-up GW killer. Did we ever beat John Chaney? Once?

1/29/2021 3:15 pm  #3

Mentzinger wrote:

Also, straight-up GW killer. Did we ever beat John Chaney? Once?

If I remember correctly, Jarvis ended up splitting with him for a couple of years after taking a few spankings to get the knack of it.

EDIT:  Yep.  MJ went 5-6 vs Chaney after losing the first four games.  I think we lost home games (and returned the favor) for a few years so it seemed like we took a beating all the time.  Penders went 0-5 and Hobbs (surprisingly?) 4-3, winning a few in Chaney's last couple of years. 

Last edited by BM (1/29/2021 3:43 pm)

1/29/2021 3:24 pm  #4

Second famous person I've had the chance to meet who has passed away within the past week.  I know it's not kind to speak ill of the departed but Larry King was a horse's ass.  Really just incredibly full of himself and thought he was above the assignment that I once worked on with him.  He had the overnight radio show by then but not much else.  CNN hadn't hired him yet.  Just thought he was above it all.

John Chaney was simply terrific.  Nice, soft-spoken, generous with his time.  I secretly rooted for him because he was such a good guy.  (And certainly rooted for him to strangle Calipari.)  The few times GW beat John Chaney teams felt like they should count as two wins.  That's how good his teams were and how great a coach he was.  It's a shame that Bill Cosby cozied up to him but how could John or anyone have possibly known what was coming?

1/29/2021 3:27 pm  #5

Remember when he tried to strangle Gimelstob at half court? Classic 80s. What a towering figure.

1/29/2021 4:34 pm  #6

RIP. I had the chance to speak with him several times over the past 30 years. Behind the tough exterior was a decent guy. He was Philly tough and I think that kind of became his personna. But he did a lot of things behind the scenes to help people, especially young black males. He did it quietly and without need for recognition. I could do without some of the theatrics but he did a lot of good.

1/29/2021 4:53 pm  #7

I don´t think there is any doubt that he is, by far, the greatest coach in A10 history and deserves to be compared with Rupp and Dean Smith, although he overcame a certain (skin deep) challenge neither of them did. A good motivator, always quick with a quote that would be both insightful and funny at the same time, and the example I would always point to when my parents tried to tell me I was "not dressing to be successful".
And I still have nightmares about his teams pulverizing GW every time they played.

Last edited by GW Alum Abroad (1/29/2021 5:24 pm)

1/29/2021 5:21 pm  #8

Probably is #1, can't really settle on a #2, who would be #2?

Maybe Martelli? 7 NCAA trips, an Elite 8, a Sweet 16, 218 A10 wins, and the best A10 team in history the 04 St Joe's team

1/29/2021 5:29 pm  #9

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

I don´t think there is any doubt that he is, by far, the greatest coach in A10 history and deserves to be compared with Rupp and Dean Smith, although he overcame a certain (skin deep) challenge neither of them did. A good motivator, always quick with a quote that would be both insightful and funny at the same time, and the example I would always point to when my parents tried to tell me I was "not dressing to be successful".
And I still have nightmares about his teams pulverizing GW every time they played.

Well said.

1/29/2021 5:49 pm  #10

RIP John Chaney. You impacted a lot of young lives in a good way. 
I always thought he was similar to John Thompson in that he taught kids more than just basketball.

(Post edited by Admiinistrator; situation addressed privately).

Last edited by BGF (1/30/2021 12:24 am)

1/29/2021 7:34 pm  #11

BM wrote:

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

Well said.

Agree

1/29/2021 8:55 pm  #12

Agree. I really liked John and his coaching style of protecting the ball. He was furious about having more than 5 turnovers in a game. He really hammered us in the early years. Jarvis found of way to beat his matchup zone by having players fake a throw to one side of the zone , then throw the ball the opposite direction. He ruled the A10 till Calipari arrived at UMass. Cal really pissed him off. Bethune-Cookman grad. My father also like him a lot because of his sideline antics. Loved the guy.  

1/30/2021 11:36 am  #13

Mark Macon played for Temple between 1987-1991. One game at The Smith Center, my son was a ball boy. During Temples warm up he asked Macon for an autograph. He was told that players were not allowed to do this prior to the game. Chaney over heard the conversation. When the game was over, my son was cleaning up. A lone Temple player returned to the floor. It was Macon who graciously provided the autograph.

1/31/2021 9:22 am  #14

When Temple beat you, you were just glad it was finally over.

1/31/2021 1:06 pm  #15

Mentzinger wrote:

When Temple beat you, you were just glad it was finally over.

Losing was one thing, but losing to Temple was never anything less than a whupping that left one emotionally scarred. Ramon Rivas, Mark Macon, Aaron McKie, Lean-in Greer. His teams were always loaded and taking no prisoners.

Last edited by GW Alum Abroad (2/01/2021 9:10 am)

1/31/2021 2:12 pm  #16

My memories of John Chaney were (1), the early am workouts for the team;  (2) his use of only 5 or 6 players during a game; (3) their suffocating defense and (4) that his Temple teams made GW their bitches, as we were something like 2-18 vs. Temple.  They even beat us in the first round of the A-10 tournament after we went undefeated in conference play.   One of my sources of A 10 pride over the years was having Chaney as a coach in the conference.  Saddened by his passing.

1/31/2021 3:36 pm  #17

I have wanted to say something about the passing of Coach Chaney.

I always felt John Chaney was one of the best coaches in America and the best coach in the A-10 with ease, and much better than Calipari.  I don't know if Calipari put many into the NBA during his time as an A-10 coach, but I would think that Chaney placed many more.  I can think of at least a dozen of them and there are probably a lot more. And, Chaney loved his players.  it seems also to me that he made the NCAA tourney almost ever year until toward the end of his coaching career.  He also recruited locally with great success against a lot of crazy competition.  And lastly, maybe other than Coach Thompson, I feel Chaney was the greatest black basketball coach in NCAA history.  RIP Coach Chaney. I hope you will never be forgotten.

2/01/2021 8:39 am  #18

Best quotes I heard were: Playing Temple is like sticking your hand in a toaster for 40 minutes. And The fabulous Pepe Sanchez saying before he came to Temple basketball was fun.

I agree with posters here who remember getting just killed by Temple. A 7 PT Temple lead felt like 20 point lead. So many games where GW could not get 2 passes together going towards the Temple basket, getting smothered, getting nothing down low.
McGonicle was a horror.

The GW rout I remember was Merscherikov going baseline repeatedly in the A10 tournament

2/01/2021 11:29 am  #19

My sense is that some of you may be just a hair too young to remember how Chaney's teams dominated nationally.  In John's 2nd-6th seasons at Temple, his teams combined to go 140-23.  Not a misprint.  That averages out to a record of 28 wins and 4.6 losses per season.  His A10 record over this stretch was 83-7 which included two undefeated conference seasons.  Mark Macon is the instantly recognizable player of the Chaney era but Mark was only a freshman (albeit a very heralded one) on just the 5th of those five seasons.

John had a star in Terence Stansbury who would go on to play in the NBA.  Stansbury's partner in crime was Granger Hall who was an amazingly dominant player.  Since Temple changed conference after Hall's sophomore year, he is just one of three players to be named their conference player of the year for two different conferences (Sedric Webber did it at the College of Charleston and most recently, Doug McDermott became the third while at Creighton).  Chaney would go on to recruit NBA talent in Nate Blackwell, Tim Perry and Ramon Rivas during those early years at Temple.  Stansbury, Hall, Blackwell, Perry and Macon would all go on to become the conference's player of the year during John's early years at Temple.

Board footera