GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/01/2021 12:49 pm  #21

Re: Some bad press on Twitter

Florida Colonial wrote:

Personally I think the shot at Atkins speaks volumes about the motivation of the individual posting at Coaching Changes..

I took it as basically, "JC fired Nima to hire some kid who doesn't even know the basics of recruiting and clearance"  Very petty.  Also somewhat surprising because that account often sticks up for minority coaching candidates and hires.

2/01/2021 1:18 pm  #22

I really wish we could play (and win) some games this season, then we wouldn't be spending all this time speculating about this garbage.
This illustrates just how far our beloved program has fallen. We used to have hundreds of different people posting about the program before, during and after games. Now we are left with a few die-hards (and a few bitter fans whose life didn't turn out how they envisioned it) speculating about who did or didn't wear a mask.
No surprise here based on GW's total LACK of transparency over the years. Now we have a few in denial who want to ban all sources of negative info regarding our program. Won't work people! GW tried that a few years ago (no mention of ML's success, putting their head in the sand when they were told Nero was fiddling with students and acting like a total moron) and look where it got us 5 years later.

Regardless of what coaching changes Jamion makes, he needs to turn this thing around next season (his 3rd) or he should be gone.
Our athletic dept is terrible. No surprise again since we hired an unqualified Nero enabler to run the program after being forced to fire him. The women's team is also in the shitter. Just bite the bullet and start over with both programs so we can get back to winning. Some of us don't have too many years left.

As for Twitter, DeadSpin, ESPN or other sources of info, if you don't like what you hear, don't read it. That's what I do with Fox News. Or else, Barry can make it disappear from the worldwide web forever to keep the illusion going.

2/01/2021 1:27 pm  #23

Joel Joseph wrote:

Or else, Barry can make it disappear from the worldwide web forever to keep the illusion going.

If I had that kind of power, oh, what I would do with that!

2/01/2021 1:59 pm  #24

I likewise find it curious that an assistant coach would leave in the middle of the season for almost any reason (other than perhaps personal reasons or having been offered a better job).  Until this thread, I was unaware that Nima appears to have been fired rather than having left voluntarily.   Further, without condoning people going without a mask during the pandemic, if it was in fact one incident of not wearing a mask in a restaurant, I find that to be a pretty lame reason in and of itself.  (I haven't been to an indoor restaurant since before the pandemic, but I was under the impression that mask's weren't required in restaurants, at least when eating.   A mask would seem to be a major impediment to ingesting our sustenance).    There is clearly more going on than what meets the eye, which may or may not be any of the business of the fanbase.   Could it have been a pretext to bring in Erik Atkins, maybe for his recruiting abilities, his ability to work with guards (which will be one of his primary functions) or any other reason?  Not sure if we will ever learn the real story (again assuming we are entitled to the real story), but being fired sloely for not wearing a mask in a restaurant?  I am just not buying that one.  As someone else suggested, maybe that was simply the proverbial last straw.

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (2/01/2021 2:00 pm)

2/01/2021 2:32 pm  #25

I'd also add that there is a member of the current staff who from what I can tell has failed to wear a mask properly during games.  Not mentioning any names so you've either noticed this too or you haven't.  Am not sure if everyone is tested before each game (doubtful) but it just sets a really poor example.  My point in bringing this up is that it makes little sense to keep one member of your staff who fails to wear a mask properly during games but release another who fails to wear one in a restaurant.

Also, there would have been no way to know in November (when Nima was released) that Eric would be available in January.  Therefore, I would dismiss the notion that Nima was terminated in order to bring in a better candidate.  (Plus, Nima was supposedly doing very well on the recruiting trail.) 

2/01/2021 3:02 pm  #26

Gwmayhem - If you've watched a lot of college basketball (or other sports for that matter), the mask wearing by coaches is often very suspect. Same with our esteemed new Senate majority leader. He can't seem to figure it out either. Hint: Chuck, it goes over your nose not just over your mouth..

Last edited by GWRising (2/01/2021 3:03 pm)

2/01/2021 3:09 pm  #27

GWRising, I certainly did not mean to insinuate that this member of our staff is the only coach, or for that matter, the only person, who is failing to wear a mask properly.  I'd have to believe though that over the mouth only is preferable to under the chin.  Meanwhile, the team's head coach has Covid and I'd have to believe that at least several of our players have it as well.  Not a great look for that staff member IMO. 

Board footera