GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/01/2021 11:36 pm  #1

GW vs Fordham A10 Tourney Game Thread

2pm, ESPN+

We draw Fordham first, a 71-47 road win for us in the 1st match up.

3/02/2021 11:04 pm  #2

Re: GW vs Fordham A10 Tourney Game Thread

We got a line yet?
Fans allowed?

3/02/2021 11:24 pm  #3

GW -6.5

3/03/2021 9:34 am  #4

Fordham has not played in 18 days so this is the second time we are catching them after a long pause.  They lost their last two games to SLU and Mason by an average of 30 points.  They did not win a single game away from the Bronx all season.  There isn't a reason in the world why we shouldn't cover 6 1/2 today.

The good news is that we should have revenge on our minds after being ousted from last year's A10 Tournament by these guys.  The bad news is that the only current players who were on that team last year were Battle, Paar and Galley.

Speaking of Miles, I'd like to offer an enormous shout-out for his getting into a game for I believe the first time against St. Bonaventure.  I was also an end-of-bench player, albeit in high school, so I have first-hand empathy towards anyone who has to bust their ass at practices only to fail to experience the glory of regularly getting into games.  Nobody will ever be able to take away from Miles that he played 7 minutes in a conference game and made the stat sheet with an offensive rebound.  Congratulations Miles.

3/03/2021 11:02 am  #5

The Ross-Man! wrote:

GW -6.5

Line opened at GW -4 and has moved to GW -7, so the so-called "smart" money is betting on GW.   At 4 I may have been all over this...at 7 maybe, but not so certain.    And yes, there will be some fans at the game, although I will not be one of them, which is unfortunate given that from Fredericksburg, I can make it to a game in Richmond in the same time as I can get to a game at the Smitty.   So, a shout out to Fan Duel for saving me financially from myself by preventing me (a Virginia resident) from betting on GW as it is being played in Virginia, as well as a shout out to Covid-19, from saving me from myself emotionally by preventing me (for the second year in a row) from being present  to watch GW play in the Atlantic Ten tournament.  On the upside, my not betting or being present, we can expect GW to both win and cover.

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (3/03/2021 11:06 am)

3/03/2021 11:31 am  #6

I believe in putting my money where my mouth is.  I believe that GW is the better team and even if I didn't I'd be rooting like crazy.  So I've got bets down on GW to cover and the Over.  Rooting for lots of offense and little defense. 

3/03/2021 12:08 pm  #7

BGF wrote:

I believe in putting my money where my mouth is.  I believe that GW is the better team and even if I didn't I'd be rooting like crazy.  So I've got bets down on GW to cover and the Over.  Rooting for lots of offense and little defense. 

Isn´t this game in Virginia? And don´t you live in Virginia? Are you (gasp) skirting around the law?!?!? If needed, I can help you find a jurisdiction that does not extradite to the US.

As for this game, Fordham is a mess, even by COVID year standards of what defines a "mess". Whomever launders their uniforms must feel that rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic would be a more worthwhile professional pursuit. Which is why I have a horrible feeling of dread only decades of following GW can create. Is this the one game of the year where the Rams put everything together and ride the hot hand of role player to a win? That always seems to happen to teams playing GW. Then again, Fordham cannot match up with Battle and Bishop at the same time when both are on their game.

3/03/2021 12:14 pm  #8

I can bet on games in Virginia, but not those involving Virginia schools.

3/03/2021 1:44 pm  #9

BrianPaul wrote:

I was taught that betting is evil.  Satan's pleasure. Except for bingo, and church raffles.  I bet anyway, and in the late 1980's won a little on college basketball involving a certain mid major group of teams on the East Coast. 

Then, I ventured into horse racing, and lost a fortune on Midnight Sun. 

Gambling on sports is Satan's pleasure.  Beelzebub specializes in college basketball. Lucifer controls the Virginia college game. 

Barry, best of luck. 

...But talking bout a married woman is ok!

3/03/2021 2:06 pm  #10

Battle really improved his game

3/03/2021 2:08 pm  #11

GW on pace to win 48-0 at the first time out.

Last edited by GW Alum Abroad (3/03/2021 2:08 pm)

3/03/2021 2:09 pm  #12

10-2 GW  start

3/03/2021 2:10 pm  #13

Yellow sneakers? No.

3/03/2021 2:14 pm  #14

Giannini is right: If we just stand there and shoot 3s we will be negating our advantages in size and athleticism.

3/03/2021 2:20 pm  #15

I like broadcasters.  They seem to have done their homework, which isn't always the case.

3/03/2021 2:20 pm  #16

That was a pretty serious rejection of Soriano by Dean at the rim. 0-8 from 3 for FU is helping us sag, double and give help.

3/03/2021 2:21 pm  #17

I like Lucas' offensive game, but he should not shoot any more 3 point shots until he has made one.  (I sound like Yogi).

3/03/2021 2:22 pm  #18

When was the last time GW has held a team to 8 points over the first 11 plus minutes of a game>

3/03/2021 2:24 pm  #19

BrianPaul wrote:

Skippy, I was expecting a Vegas Vick response to my gambling comment.  I don't see any connection to your nonsense. 

I said what I said bub

3/03/2021 2:25 pm  #20

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

When was the last time GW has held a team to 8 points over the first 11 plus minutes of a game>

When we were good aka 6 years ago

Board footera