GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/02/2021 6:52 pm  #1

Best A10 Recruiting Classes

GW is ranked #2 behind Dayton and one spot ahead of VCU:

https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings/?Conference=A-10

3/02/2021 6:59 pm  #2

Re: Best A10 Recruiting Classes

2021 GW recruits Freeman and Nixon are also ranked #1 and #2 in GW history:

https://247sports.com/college/george-washington/Sport/Basketball/AllTimeRecruits/

3/02/2021 8:07 pm  #3

It's interesting that Gapare isn't even rated on the 24/7 list.  Are we being rated second best recruiting class without acknowledging Gapare's potential?

Hmmm.

3/02/2021 8:25 pm  #4

Maybe because he may be a class 0f 22?

3/02/2021 8:49 pm  #5

Barry, the international guys often do not get a ranking.  When they play a year stateside, they generally do, if they haven't, they often don't which might explain that.

3/02/2021 8:58 pm  #6

The Dude wrote:

2021 GW recruits Freeman and Nixon are also ranked #1 and #2 in GW history:

https://247sports.com/college/george-washington/Sport/Basketball/AllTimeRecruits/

Big deal until you look at No. 3, No. 4, No. 5 

3/03/2021 7:28 am  #7

I have to say, 247’s rankings don’t seem terribly credible. 

Pinnock and Ricky Lucas were both top 100 (top 60 or so) recruits and I recall us debating, stupidly, whether recruiting Pinnock made any sense when we already had Ricky Lucas.

Strikes me that this site has almost all of our recruits rated lower than others had them, so I’m guessing this is one of those where their rankings are influenced by a where a kid signs (like if Freeman had chosen Ole Miss or Florida instead of GW, they’d have him as a 4 star and 50 places higher).

At any rate, if you need a reason to ignore rankings altogether, just look how bad they’ve been at predicting which players are good and which aren’t.  That “historical” list is beyond terrible at accurately ranking how players would be in college.

3/03/2021 12:25 pm  #8

Here we go again. Great recruits coming in. We will be ranked #2 pre-season in A-10. We will finish in top 4 in A-10 next year earning the double bye in the tourney. We will get into either the NCAA's or the NIT.

I guess I can't blame anyone for wanting to put this disaster of a season behind us. However, let's be realist. With our current AD and the lack of interest from the administration and student body, I don't see anything changing for another 2-3 years. Remember, transfers, injuries and the curse of GW Basketball have a way to derail our program. Also, someone once said the best thing about freshmen players are they become sophomores!

3/03/2021 1:15 pm  #9

Having seen plenty of top rated recruits fail over my 2 decades of watching college basketball religiously I will hold my excitement. But all in all great news

3/03/2021 1:20 pm  #10

The 2021 GW guys are the 2 top ranked GW recruits in history.  

One need look no further than Matt Cimino's name to be reminded not every top recruit pans out, but I'll take my chances on highly regarded recruits, over some guy like Goss 

3/03/2021 1:24 pm  #11

The Dude wrote:

The 2021 GW guys are the 2 top ranked GW recruits in history.  

One need look no further than Matt Cimino's name to be reminded not every top recruit pans out, but I'll take my chances on highly regarded recruits, over some guy like Goss 

Well yeah lol but Goss with 4 years of ML could been a role player let's not forget that. Cimino was soft unfortunately. Size is great but only if utilized

3/03/2021 4:52 pm  #12

Skittles, don't take the bait - a few here have zero credibility. Remember Jorgensen?

3/03/2021 5:12 pm  #13

Not every highly ranked recruit plays well at the next level, some like Battle become excellent players, others like Cimino and Swann look overmatched even after transferring down to AU

FWIW, JC's incoming class is comprised of the #1 and #2 ranked recruit in GW history

Board footera