GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/03/2021 9:40 am  #1

3/03/2021 10:46 am  #2

Re: Someone predicted this coming unglued...Creighton/McDermott

The tweet does not give the context of how the term "plantation"  was used, but the fact that Coach McDermott used the term "plantation" has now caused his assistant to attack him on the internet for racial insensitivity.   What I took from the tweet was more "while my relationship with Coach has been positive and I have never witnessed any racist energy from him..."   Again, depending on context, it would have never occurred to me that unlike other terms, the mere use of the term "plantation" had racially insensitive overtones, but even assuming that it did, the better approach would have been for the assistant coach to simply talk to the head coach about it in private (or even in front of the team) rather than going on twitter and blasting him.   I am proud to consider myself a card carrying progressive, but it is things like this which makes Democrats/Progressives look ridiculous and acts as yet another recruiting tool  for the ever growing right wing in this country.   (Disclaimer...I am a Creighton Law graduate, however this did not impact my views and opinions on this issue).

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (3/03/2021 10:49 am)

3/03/2021 11:18 am  #3

He said: "Guys we need to stick together.  We need both feet in.  I need everybody to stay on the plantation.  I can't have anybody leave the plantation."

The weird thing is that I think the saying is to not leave the reservation as opposed to plantation, although I don't know if it makes it any better. 

I do agree with LSF that alot of things that would be handled internally are now down via Twitter.  Only reason I would think an assistant would do so if if they thought the HC would disregard the complaint.

Last edited by GW0509 (3/03/2021 11:20 am)

3/03/2021 11:59 am  #4

Assuming GW0509's quote is accurate, that is not a good look for a university faculty member and is up there with a politician asking a femal staffer 40 years his junior if she "has ever been with an older man" while suggesting a game of strip poker. He may have thought he was "being playful" but it sure does not look that way from afar.
And for an assistant to take the whole thing to a public forum in this manner? This does not end well for Creighton no matter what direction it takes. Ouch. Better them than us (though even better if none of this had happened in the first place).

3/03/2021 12:27 pm  #5

It is accurate as I took the words from McDermott's apology: https://twitter.com/cucoachmac/status/1366881130151034886

He is definitely in damage control mode as he retweeted the assistant coach's statement and said how blessed he was to have the coach as a part of the Creighton family: https://twitter.com/cucoachmac/status/1366943712207642624

3/03/2021 1:02 pm  #6

Terrence Rencher did not take to social media without the full knowledge of Creighton and McDermott. You guys are missing the forest through the trees. His social media post while ostensibly attacking McDermott was really doing something else. It was signaling that the players and coaches are prepared to move forward with McDermott. Who more credible to do that than the black assistant coach? I could be wrong but I think McDermott was using Rencher while playing a game of chess. We will see what happens in the offseason but for now apparently everyone is moving forward.

On a separate note, how the word plantation is really in anybody's lexicon in this day and age is amazing. Especially a guy in Nebraska. Do I think he should get fired for it? No, unless this was not his first rodeo with similar insensitive language. But at a minimum, clearly the guy wasn't thinking very clearly. And he will have some work to do to make amends.

3/03/2021 1:11 pm  #7

This is insane. Not one peep negative about the guy all these years and one very very poorly phrased sentence and he's fired? It's just ridiculous. Obviously he meant reservation as that is the correct phrase though also very outdated. I just feel like a straight up firing for this is a bit overkill

3/03/2021 1:12 pm  #8

The black assistant coach will get hired as the replacement. Id put money on it. No better way to save face in this situation. And the fact that THAT will be the qualifier undermines the assistant and his skills and coaching prowess.

Board footera