GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/03/2021 6:35 pm  #1

GW vs Mason A10 Tourney Game Thread

Next up, Mason.  530pm, NBC Sports has the broadcast

3/03/2021 6:40 pm  #2

Re: GW vs Mason A10 Tourney Game Thread

Game will be played at UR's Robins Center

3/03/2021 11:36 pm  #3

Seeing the line at GMU -6.5 but not listed most places - any idea why?

3/04/2021 9:40 am  #4

Here is how I would approach this matchup:

1) If GM is to grab another 23 offensive rebounds, it would be foolish to count on the Patriots only being able to score 13 points off of these rebounds.  Suffice it to say that a major commitment needs to be made to defensive rebounding, as in all five guys on the floor, after every missed shot.

2) This can be seen as counterintuitive to the first point, but if GM is again going to crash the offensive boards, fast break opportunities ought to be available.  Again, I would not look to fast break to the detriment of not committing to defensive rebounding.  And, if our big 3 are each going to play 40 minutes again, we will need to conserve energy making this a challenging goal.

3) What GM figured out in the first meeting by halftime is that they needed to take the ball right at the GW defense.   That's why something like 14 of their 16 free throw attempts came in the second half.  And as we continue to see, this GW team (certainly not the first) struggles to stay in front of their man, and often gets caught in unfavorable switches.  GW will have to be prepared to face a more aggressive GM team from the opening tip.  Often, officiating helps determine how aggressive a team can afford to be, so "letting them play" will not work towards GW's advantage and a few early offensive fouls against GM would be a huge help.

4) About JB, JB and RL all playing 40 minutes yesterday?  JC is undoubtedly coaching one day at a time which I get.  However, I do think some foresight has to be paid with regard to trying to win 4 games in 4 days.  120 minutes among three players is not likely to be a sustainable formula over four straight days.  Yes, you can make the case that all were needed throughout the second half but as we were compiling a 25-10 lead, and even as Fordham mounted its first half comeback, a few quick rests could and probably should have been allocated.

5) I think it was DMVPiranha who commented about JC not taking a single timeout yesterday.  That point only got more bazaar in the postgame where JC praised the interim Fordham coach over among other things, his use of timeouts.  I know I'm not a coach but if you're going to play your three best players 40 minutes apiece, maybe you call a few timeouts if for no other reason than to give them some rest.

6) Regarding Chase Paar, I think you have to make a fairly quick decision as to how much or how little you can depend upon him today.  He played 21 minutes yesterday when it was apparent early on that this number should have been closer to 10.

7) One of the guys I am most interested in seeing today is Lincoln Ball.  As it is said, this is the time of year when freshmen are no longer freshmen.  As Lincoln's shooting woes have continued, this appears to have impacted his overall game which simply can't happen.  As a supporting player who has the capacity to be a glue guy for this team (I doubt he'd be starting if this weren't the case), Lincoln must contribute more in all phases of the game.  And, if he could knock down the open jump shot, that would be a big help.

While GM has played much better of late (perhaps saving Dave Paulsen's job in the process), I like the fact that GW just saw this team and is not going to feel any intimidation factor whatsoever.  That said, today might actually be the game that determines Paulsen's fate so GM should be plenty motivated assuming the players like him.

3/04/2021 10:04 am  #5

The Ross-Man! wrote:

Seeing the line at GMU -6.5 but not listed most places - any idea why?

It's a game in Virginia featuring a Virginia team.  Not legal to bet on a GMU game that's played in Virginia.

3/04/2021 11:00 am  #6

Gwmayhem

A few responses ...

4. You do realize that we have 8 scholarship players available with 3 being limited to the 5 position? Unfortunately, JC does not have the flexibility with playing time as he would like. That coupled with the win or go home nature of the game and the fact it was close gives him a pass on minutes.

5. Including media timeouts, there were 9 total timeouts in yesterday's game. Sometimes the other coach bails you out and takes the timeout you were going to call. I think JC follows the coaching philosophy that he's not taking timeouts just to take timeouts in a close game plus he likes to save them for the end if necessary. There was only one big Fordham run in that game (first half) and guess what ... there was a media timeout right in the middle of it (when Fordham cut the lead to 5). Had there not been a media timeout there, probably JC would have taken one. 

Also, I don't think kids today even think about trying to save their coach's job. Plus, while some have speculated that Paulsen's job might be in trouble, I'm not sure it actually is and there hasn't been a ton of media speculation about it. As a result, I don't believe that will serve as any motivating factor whatsoever. More important, is that George Mason like GW is trying to survive and advance.

Finally, there is no intimidation factor anymore in college basketball which is one of the reasons you are seeing more upsets. These kids (D-1) have played against each other for years in HS and AAU. Nobody is scared of anyone. The game is decided by who plays better on that day and who is more talented. Period. Years ago there might have been such a factor because kids weren't as familiar with each other and they didn't travel the U.S. playing. But no way today is such a factor present to the degree you would call it  "intimidation". I don't care if we were playing a top 5 team and we were a decided underdog. It's just different now. 

3/04/2021 11:01 am  #7

Last year Chase Paar was a very capable post player who not only had sure hands, decent footwork  and could score inside at a very good percentage, but was also a very competent passer out of both the low and high post.  I don't know who this person is this season who has been wearing Chase's uniform.

3/04/2021 11:13 am  #8

While I agree Chase has not developed this year like we would all like, I do think it is fair to point out that he is likely not 100% healthy.

Last edited by GWRising (3/04/2021 11:14 am)

3/04/2021 11:23 am  #9

On the amount of minutes played by the Big 3 yesterday, I had been thinking of us having only 8 scholarship players, but the more relevant stat is that because 3 of the 8 are centers who can’t be on the court together, we actually only have 5 players for 4 spots.  Very hard not to play games all game, though I agree that time out ls would have helped. 

I do think he made a conscious decision to slow the game down once we got the lead to try to help their legs hold up, then partway through the second half, it seemed like we started running our office faster again (though we either missed open shots or made mistakes in execution or decision/making that kept it from working).

For today, I am sure we will see a renewed commitment to defensive rebounding.  Usually when you play the same thing twice so close together, the players focus on whatever they didn’t the first time they hurt them.  If we still can’t stop them on the glass, then that’s a problem. 

Fortunately George Mason is another poor shooting team.  We need to make them take tough shots and keep them off the offensive glass as much as possible, but we also need to be much sharper in our execution, like we were the first 10 minutes yesterday. Faster decision making, harder screens, shots going in.

I’m expecting a big game out of Bishop today.  If our legs hold up, I think he keeps us in it or helps us to a win.

3/04/2021 11:23 am  #10

On a general note, I would say this.. One day the story may be told of the 35 day pause. I am not going to tell it except to say the virus affected this team worse that you would expect given the age and health of the players. While almost all are over the "acute" symptoms, there is a big difference between being sick (as in not feeling well) and getting your legs, strength and overall conditioning back to compete in late season high level college games with such a big layoff. Coupled with the demands of a short bench this may be a bigger hurdle for us than our opponents currently. That's why whatever happens at this point is going to happen and we just have to look forward to next season. 

3/04/2021 11:36 am  #11

GWRising:

1) I realize that depth is an issue but so is keeping your best players fresh for a four day run.  This is the difference between whether you are coaching to win today and today only or are you coaching to help get your team to the final.  Not saying that it was egregious that all three played 40 minutes.  I can certainly understand why they did.

2) IMO, you are very off-base regarding timeouts.  GW went up 25-10 with just over 7 minutes left in the half.  By the time the media timeout arrived, this lead was down to 5.  Even if you are not of the belief that one should have been taken when 25-10 turned into say 25-15, how about when GW gets the ball back with 39 seconds left in the half?  Maybe an actual play call would have worked out better than James missing a long 3 with the shot clock about to expire.  And, as I am sure you know, you lose the timeout anyway if you don't use it in the first half.  There was absolutely no acceptable reason not to use a first half timeout at some point.

3) While the sentiment behind what you are saying might be true to some extent, there is no way I would accept a sweeping generalization to suggest that players do not get intimidated anymore.  While our more battle-tested players may not feel as if they can be intimidated, the same may not be able to be said of other players on our team, or most any team. Feeling intimidated in certain situations is part of what's known as being human.   To suggest that all college basketball players no longer feel intimidated by any opponent does not make any sense to me.

3/04/2021 11:42 am  #12

Chase has not looked healthy the last couple of games. But GW better damn well rebound better today than they did at the Patriot Center the other night. So whomever is in the paint defending (or whatever passes for defending by a player in a GW uniform) needs to box out. And if someone is not doing it, Cristian needs to be quick with the hook. In fact, rotating the "Big 3" with more frequency than usual might not be a bad idea given that the team played yesterday and (with a win) will face a team it takes 4OTs to beat tomorrow.

3/04/2021 11:42 am  #13

GWRising wrote:

5. Including media timeouts, there were 9 total timeouts in yesterday's game. Sometimes the other coach bails you out and takes the timeout you were going to call. I think JC follows the coaching philosophy that he's not taking timeouts just to take timeouts in a close game plus he likes to save them for the end if necessary. There was only one big Fordham run in that game (first half) and guess what ... there was a media timeout right in the middle of it (when Fordham cut the lead to 5). Had there not been a media timeout there, probably JC would have taken one. 

It actually wasn’t the Fordham runs that should have lead to time outs.  I would have liked to see him call them when our execution waned 2 or 3 possessions in a row.  That might have kept it from snowballing the way it did. 

Also, on why there are so many upsets, it’s not just familiarity.  There are also some guys at the low major or mid major level who are just as good or better than the guys they are going against. 

When you look at the top teams, their best players often came from lower levels.

Baylor’s 3rd best player (Teague) came from UNC Asheville.  Michigan’s starting point guard just transferred from Columbia.  Louisville’s best player, Carlik Jones, transferred from Radford (meaning last year Radford had a player better than anyone on this year’s louisville team).  Virginia Tech’s best player came from Wofford.  Oklahoma starts 2 low major transfers (one from North Texas and one from Cal St Northridge) and another from Wichita St. Alabam’s starting C transferred from Yale.  Arkansas’ point guard was at Northern Kentucky last year.

The bottom line is that when you see a 14 seed battling a 3 in the NCAA tourney, it’s not just lack of intimidation.  There’s a decent chance that 14 has a guy or two who are better than some of the starters on the 3 seed.

3/04/2021 11:57 am  #14

I think Chase’s conditioning was gutted by Covid and to my mind he is a champ if not nuts to be playing.

I’m no saint. When I am watching the game I’m hot about poor performance. It only afterwards I remember Covid and that we have no depth.

Lastly after losing to Fordham 4 times in a row earlier beating them is a good thing. As a guy who roots for pro teams worse than the Colonials any post season win is good.

3/04/2021 11:59 am  #15

I'm guessing this game will be similar to the last one - GW will play a good first half, but run out of gas in the second. Hopefully they have enough to hold on for the win. While I think we've got a good shot today, I don't think anyone should expect us to win tomorrow, considering our lack of depth and health/conditioning issues.

3/04/2021 1:00 pm  #16

I don't think that there is any question that Chase is neither healthy nor at full strength, but his regression has been going on all season.   I have voiced some criticism of the coach during the course of the season in that I don't think he is making the most of the individual players, and Chase may be a classic example.   His scoring throughout the season has been more opportunistic rather than be design.  I am not saying that he should get a touch on every possession (ala Keven Larsen), but I would have liked to see the offense run more through Chase (at least when he was healthy) than it has. 

3/04/2021 1:26 pm  #17

Certainly agree that Chase needs a strength regimen.   He could use a couple of MPHs on his speed.    I don't want to see him transfer, but he is my number one candidate for a current Colonial most likely to be wearing a Fighting Blue Hens uniform next season.

3/04/2021 1:40 pm  #18

Cheers to that

stop endlessly picking on GW's weakest link at the moment, we can all see he's not effective and yet there's no recourse at the moment, playing out of necessity.  The endless whiny negativity gets super old.  

3/04/2021 2:29 pm  #19

The very valid point LSF is making is that Chase's play has regressed throughout the season and not just since the team returned from the long pause.  It's really not a question of picking on a weakest link.  Along with several others, I do feel there is a legitimate need for this coaching staff to have someone who can work with the big men and help develop their respective games.

3/04/2021 2:41 pm  #20

Gwmayhem -

1. This team isn't going on a 5 day run - not with it's current state of health. JC should and is taking it one day at a time. Today's goal is to get to Day 3. That's it. 
2. On the timeouts. You are right he had a use or lose but some coaches prefer not to let the other coach set his defense in that situation (37 secs left off a missed FT). Just saying. Also the Fordham run was a little disjointed. If you recall the score was 25-10. It then went to 25-18. I think if had gone 25-20 or 21, JC would have called timeout. But it didn't it went to 27-18 when Lindo broke the run. Fordham did get the next 4 points but then the media timeout intervened.
3. It used to be that the name on the front of jersey was worth 10 points. I don't think that's true for the reason that I mentioned and due to what Free Quebec mentioned above. I think there is a difference between being intimidated and being undermanned or having less talent. As I mentioned, these guys play too much basketball with and against top talent. It doesn't phase them anymore. When I say that I don't mean every last player. I am talking about the vast majority.

Board footera