GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/04/2021 8:15 pm  #1

2020-21 season positives

Let´s try to make a list here. I´ll start:
The 2019-20 team racked up 20 losses and 12 losses in A10 play. This team lost just 12 games all season.
The 2019-20 team lost five players to graduation (including walk-ons) while this year´s team will not lose any players to expired elligibility.
Brelsford, Brown and Dean all improved over the course of the season, and, if they stick around until they are seniors, have the potential to be impact players the conference is wary of.
After playing seasons to unsold seats and unused student ticket allotments, all home games were played before crowds that met the DC government´s maximum allowed in the Smith Center.
There was absolutely no way last year´s team was going to play in the 2020 NCAA Tournament, this year´s team came three games and 10 mins from The Dance.

3/04/2021 8:20 pm  #2

Re: 2020-21 season positives

As a GW basketball fan, I used the season as motivation to study for the GMAT in order to get my MBA from a different school

3/04/2021 8:28 pm  #3

Battle showed he's not just a shooter and should continue develop into a possible first team all-conference player when it's all said and done.

3/04/2021 8:32 pm  #4

GW0509 wrote:

Battle showed he's not just a shooter and should continue develop into a possible first team all-conference player when it's all said and done.

Absolutely correct. In fact, if there is more ball movement both he and Bishop could get first team together. The team was at its best when Battle was involved in the offense.

3/04/2021 11:01 pm  #5

When Battle and Lindo were the scoring leaders,we won on Wednesday and at least another time when Battle scored 29 points,memory serves.
Food for thought.

3/04/2021 11:18 pm  #6

If two seasons with 17 wins and 32 losses under Coach Christian is good enough for the majority of people on this board, so be it. I just don't believe that Coach will be taking the program to the promised land. 

3/04/2021 11:45 pm  #7

My season positives are:
  1) Bishop
  2) Battle
  3) Lindo

3/05/2021 12:03 am  #8

DC Native, same here.  Basically, my thought watching every GW game this year.

The JC HS recruits have disappointed to date, those 3 shined, Mojo's HS recruit and 2 transfers brought in by JC.  

3 building blocks

3/05/2021 4:51 pm  #9

I think the main thing here is this was a screwed up season for many reasons - mid-year transfers, COVID, injuries, insurrections, etc.. Not sure how much you can take away from it good or bad or how much it will impact the future. That remains to be seen.

But I agree that we have 3 pretty good building blocks and a couple of developmental guys who have promise (Brelsford and Brown). I like the recruiting effort so far this year. 

I believe there is a decent likelihood that we will have between 1-3 spots open up for next year (based solely on player decisions). So I expect additional players to be added this offseason.

3/05/2021 5:14 pm  #10

Nothing is ever based “solely” on a player decision.  Stop with that.  They may make a decision, but what has happened around them, to them, and with them makes a difference.  Can’t give a coach credit for recruiting guys, and then call them leaving the coach only a “player’s decision’”

3/05/2021 5:26 pm  #11

danjsport's reasoning is exactly why we have 1000+ transfers. You should work in AAU and tell players how they've been disrespected when the coach doesn't let them play the minutes they think they should play, the position they think they should play or the the offense doesn't run through them.

That said, at GW, the players always hold the cards. GW will not pull a scholarship absent a rules or academic violation. So it is almost always the player's decision to stay or leave despite the fictions we hear here.

Last edited by GWRising (3/05/2021 5:27 pm)

3/06/2021 9:01 am  #12

GWRising wrote:

danjsport's reasoning is exactly why we have 1000+ transfers. You should work in AAU and tell players how they've been disrespected when the coach doesn't let them play the minutes they think they should play, the position they think they should play or the the offense doesn't run through them.

That said, at GW, the players always hold the cards. GW will not pull a scholarship absent a rules or academic violation. So it is almost always the player's decision to stay or leave despite the fictions we hear here.

First, your post assumes that 1000+ transfers is a bad thing.  As if letting people choose where they work is bad.  Second, you assume that I care whether the player leaves because he is “disrespected” or some other reason.  If I go to a law firm that tells me I’ll get a corner office, certain resources, a good work-life balance, etc,, and they don’t meet those expectations, I can leave and find a new law firm.  If just I leave, people may think I was the problem.  If 20% of people leave, people
Will likely believe the law firm is part of the problem.  These kids will get virtually the same education at all of the schools.  They will get varying levels of basketball positives and negatives.  I just don’t care if they leave their job for another.  Certainly not until they are unionized and/or compensated fairly for the revenue they bring to the school.

3/06/2021 10:08 am  #13

Danjsport, exactly.  Transfer rights are a good thing, and we should be happy for players who follow their chosen path, whether it helps GW or not.

Last edited by BGF (3/06/2021 10:09 am)

3/06/2021 11:45 am  #14

Its hard to argue with the sentiments expressed by Danjsport, but on the other hand, I can't believe that the free transfer of players from school to school is good for the sport of College Basketball.   That almost dooms programs like GW to become a waystation for kids on the way up and kids on the way down.

3/06/2021 12:42 pm  #15

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

Its hard to argue with the sentiments expressed by Danjsport, but on the other hand, I can't believe that the free transfer of players from school to school is good for the sport of College Basketball.   That almost dooms programs like GW to become a waystation for kids on the way up and kids on the way down.

LSF- I tend to agree that it is bad for "college basketball," as we know it.  But college basketball, as we know it, is not particularly fair to the kids currently playing it.  There needs to be a better way.  And maybe then the transfer rules can be different.  Pay a kid 150k a year to play for your team and commit to paying them for four years while educating them?  Now transfer rates go down.  Sitting on a bench feels better when you are actually making money.  Maybe it even makes the coach stick with you longer, knowing that he can't just cut your minutes and you'll magically leave "on your own."

I'm very much a proponent of figuring out how to make this work.  But just because it isn't good for GW or "college basketball" doesn't mean it's wrong (I know you're not saying that).

3/06/2021 12:54 pm  #16

I would like to think that receiving a free college education that is valued at hundreds of thousands of dollars is a fair tradeoff for playing basketball for the school team.   Once you start paying players dollars, it stops being an amateur sport and becomes a professional league.  But I do agree that the current system needs  tweaking.

3/06/2021 12:56 pm  #17

danjsport wrote:

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

LSF- I tend to agree that it is bad for "college basketball," as we know it.  But college basketball, as we know it, is not particularly fair to the kids currently playing it.  There needs to be a better way.  And maybe then the transfer rules can be different.  Pay a kid 150k a year to play for your team and commit to paying them for four years while educating them?  Now transfer rates go down.  Sitting on a bench feels better when you are actually making money.  Maybe it even makes the coach stick with you longer, knowing that he can't just cut your minutes and you'll magically leave "on your own."

I'm very much a proponent of figuring out how to make this work.  But just because it isn't good for GW or "college basketball" doesn't mean it's wrong (I know you're not saying that).

I was going to address your first post but then I saw this one and I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Who do you think can afford to pay $150,000/year? I'll save you the trouble ... maybe about 50 schools. What do the other 300 do?

danjsport, I don't know how much you follow college athletics or are involved in it but judging from the statements you are making not that much. But I'd suggest you start reading here and you will begin to understand that other than the power 5 conferences there isn't much revenue in college athletics:

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/research/Finances/2020RES_D1-RevExp_Report.pdf

3/06/2021 1:12 pm  #18

danjsport - Yes, when a quarter of scholarship players transfer in a given year that is not either a good thing for the sport or very conducive to the spirit of student-athlete. We approaching a place where every year the teams are comprised of hired mercenaries (either one and dones, transfers or first year players)

But you've made my point. You get to decide. If you don't like what the law firm pays you etc. you can find another job. It is not a requirement for the law firm to pay you more just because you don't like what you earn, etc. Same thing with players. It is the responsibility of the coach to play the players in the manner he thinks can best help the team. If you, as a player, don't like it,  you can transfer. But that's not always or even mostly on the coach in a sport where you have 13 scholarship players but only 5 can play at a time..

So I'm not against transferring just against the ridiculous notion that kids today always think the grass is greener elsewhere, don't want to compete for time like their predecessors did, and realize that for 99% of them, the education is what matters first and foremost. And adults are exploiting them more than the colleges because if you look at the transfer portal every year about 20% never find new homes but gave up that scholarship.

Also the notion that a $300,000 free education at GW is worthless compensation is ridiculous. How many of these kids have skills coming out of high school where they could earn more than $75,000/year? You know the answer. There would be a line stretching for miles to be "exploited" like that in the general population. What makes playing basketball so much more "special"?

3/06/2021 1:37 pm  #19

The reason that we should pay kids some reasonable amount maybe $100 a week during the weeks they are required to practice is that 1) many are so poor that their parents can't even give them pocket money
2) they are not able to work if they're practicing and going to classes so how are they able to earn money?
Make it needs based - that's ok with me.   Certainly allow them to earn money at basketball camps or if their likeness is used in a video game.    We're not really talking about giving the 150K per year, we're talking about having a nice dinner with a date (do kids still date?) or going to a movie (do kids still go to movies?) - after Covid  if course.

3/06/2021 1:48 pm  #20

BC wrote:

The reason that we should pay kids some reasonable amount maybe $100 a week during the weeks they are required to practice is that 1) many are so poor that their parents can't even give them pocket money
2) they are not able to work if they're practicing and going to classes so how are they able to earn money?
Make it needs based - that's ok with me.   Certainly allow them to earn money at basketball camps or if their likeness is used in a video game.    We're not really talking about giving the 150K per year, we're talking about having a nice dinner with a date (do kids still date?) or going to a movie (do kids still go to movies?) - after Covid  if course.

BC, what you have proposed is eminently reasonable. However, that is a far cry from what danjsport is suggesting.

Board footera