GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/07/2021 8:41 am  #1

2021 Coaching Carousel

Jeff Borzello of ESPN did a comprehensive review of the 2021 Coaching Carousel.  Here are the sections about A-10 teams.  It includes coaches on the hot seat as well as coaches who may get hired away.

Jobs already open
Fordham: The Rams moved on from Jeff Neubauer in late January and are set to begin a long list of interviews this week. Part of the delay had to do with athletic director Ed Kull recently being elevated from interim athletic director to the permanent job. There's some talk that Kull's preference is to hire a sitting head coach, but interviews won't be limited to that pool. Some names mentioned with the Rams job include Siena's Carmen Maciariello, Bryant's Jared Grasso, St. Peter's Shaheen Holloway, Vermont's John Becker, Bowling Green's Michael Huger, Colgate's Matt Langel, Louisville assistant Luke Murray, Villanova assistant Kyle Neptune and Kentucky assistant Tony Barbee.

I'd be surprised ...
George Washington: It's only Year 2, but it hasn't worked so far with Jamion Christian in the nation's capital. There have been staff changes, player departures and just general tumult within the program over the last couple seasons. The Colonials went 12-20 last season and are just 4-11 this season entering the conference tournament. But again, it's just year two.

George Mason: I don't see any changes being made this season after the Patriots won four in a row to end the season to finish 12-8 overall and 8-6 in the Atlantic 10 entering the conference tournament. Dave Paulsen is well-liked in the community, but this will make it six years without GMU coming close to a conference title. That said, I don't see a move being made.

Mid-major names
Mark Schmidt, St. Bonaventure: Schmidt has been successful for more than a decade at St. Bonaventure, one of the more difficult jobs at the mid-major-plus level. He has the Bonnies in position to make the NCAA tournament this season, and he's in the mix at Penn State and his alma mater, Boston College.

Chris Mooney, Richmond: Mooney has been buzzing a bit for Boston College, but would he take it? He's turned down better jobs in the past, most notably Georgia Tech and Miami. Perhaps Mooney feels it's time for a change, but I'm not completely sold he makes a move.

Mike Rhoades, VCU: Rhoades has VCU back in the mix for the NCAA tournament after leading the Rams to 25 wins and a tournament appearance back in 2019. I could see him getting on the list at Boston College or Penn State, but I'm not sure either of those is a better job than VCU.

Board footera