GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/09/2021 11:18 am  #1

3/10/2021 7:16 am  #2

Re: A Must Read Article About Transfers ...

Lots of people transferring.  Players frustrated about playing through a pandemic and the impact on their lives.  Schools needing to deal with transfers.  If only there was a way that the schools could have helped the players with some of the anxiety playing through a pandemic....

3/10/2021 7:38 am  #3

See the post below. This is as of yesterday and will continue to grow. Plus the D2 transfer portal is filling up with kids most likely looking to step up to D1. The top 3 scorers in D2 are in the portal and one is now being follow by JC.  
Free agency is here 

Verbal Commits[/url] [url=https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits]@VerbalCommits[/url] 300+ names now listed. 25+ added today. Updated daily: [url=https://t.co/W6kA0jVQN2?amp=1]https://verbalcommits.com/transfers/2021

Last edited by Florida Colonial (3/10/2021 7:39 am)

3/10/2021 9:59 am  #4

I think the NCAA should adopt similar draft and representation rules for all sports like they do with hockey. Because NCAA hockey must compete with Canadian junior hockey, they allow players to get drafted at age 18 and have agents and still play in the NCAA! Teams hold the players' rights until after they graduate, but they can sign sooner if they'd like. It seems like a no-brainer that something like NCAA basketball would benefit. Players could have their reps, NBA teams could draft players and let them develop in college. And when they are ready offer them NBA contracts.

3/10/2021 12:18 pm  #5

I'd take it a slightly further, ColonialNY.  I think the NCAA should license to the NBA all of the rights to college teams.  Let college truly be a minor league system.  They can be paid, and not amateurs; they can unionize, and they can use college teams' names and logos and all that good stuff.  

3/10/2021 12:55 pm  #6

danjsport wrote:

I'd take it a slightly further, ColonialNY.  I think the NCAA should license to the NBA all of the rights to college teams.  Let college truly be a minor league system.  They can be paid, and not amateurs; they can unionize, and they can use college teams' names and logos and all that good stuff.  

That would mean transfers in the middle of the year and trades.  I’m not sure that’s a good idea given that there are over 350 teams in D1 - which means around 4500 D1 scholarship players - but only a handful have any chance to play in the nba.   

If that happened, it would be the end of the ncaa tourney and pretty much the end of college basketball.  I get the argument for paying players, but given that players can already go pro if they want, I’m not sure ending college basketball as we know it is really the answer.

3/10/2021 3:33 pm  #7

The US is drifting toward the system in place in many countries (particularly with football/soccer and rugby) where jocks play for the youth divisions of clubs and students play for the intramural team on campus (like what US universities consider "club sports"). This led different universities to convert their "athletic departments" in to "athletic clubs" with little linkage to the school. UNAM Pumas of Mexico, Universidad de Chile and Universidad Catolica of Chile and Universitario of Peru are among the best-known examples of this. This kills the collegiate corruption (but not the corruption-- just ask the shoe companies and tax collectors). It should be noted we are fast approaching the centennial of the Marx Brothers´ classic "Horse Feathers" which was a send up of the professionalism and corruption of "amatuer" college sports, so this is not a new issue.

Board footera