GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/25/2021 8:53 am  #81

Re: 2021 NCAA Tournament

Mentzinger, your point is well taken regardless, but I would be curious as to how AC is tallying the dollars generated from their NCAA appearance.  Only a small fraction of this total comes from their advancing to the second round.  Are they converting televised "mentions" into television advertising time and using this as part of their calculations?  Are they increasing tuition and still seeing a rise in applicants (though this would need to have been planned well before the win over Texas)?  Are they receiving an inordinately high number of donations to the school?

What UMD should understand about the Hunter Dickinson recruitment is that if they are saying they recruited Hunter as hard as anyone and Hunter is saying that Michigan wanted him more, then it's Maryland that has to go back and figure out how to do a better job at recruiting.  It's worth noting that Jalen Smith was scheduled to be a junior at UMD and the Mitchell twins were scheduled to be sophomores so it stands to reason that UMD thought they were fine with big men and did not aggressively go after Hunter.  This definitely turned into a thing.  In the December meeting, Hunter appeared to be "communicating" with the Maryland bench and during the Michigan rout, it appeared that Juwan Howard was shall we say getting caught up in the celebration.  (When Turgeon and Howard nearly came to blows in the Big 10 Tournament, you can be assured that this incident can be traced back to that December meeting.)

DC Native, your point about many kids wanting to move away for college is well taken, but keep in mind that many also do not and would rather play in front of friends and family.  The DMV is a big area and how we define "away" factors into this discussion as well.  Are Baltimore players like James Bishop and Tyler Brelsford "going away" or "staying home" to play in DC?  The point being that there are so many good players throughout all of Maryland, DC and Virginia that Maryland could be landing more of them to stay home or go away based on where they are from.

I also feel that when a player decides to play at a Kansas or a Kentucky, they are thinking primarily in terms of their best route towards a professional playing career than anything else.  In some cases, you can add to this that the player wants as few distractions as possible ranging from an active nightlife to a rigorous academic schedule.  This is of course a major generalization but I do think this applies to many who join very successful programs located in rural areas from outside of these areas. 

3/25/2021 9:53 am  #82

Gwmayhem,  good point about Maryland competing in 2 conferences(the ACC and then the Big 10) where its almost impossible to dominate year in and year out because of how deep the conferences are. Unfortunately for Maryland, Big 10 basketball has seemed to have gotten a lot stronger since they joined. That can be good in a sense because you get so many opportunities to beat highly rated teams, but it can be bad because fans will complain about you finishing in 8th place, earning just a 10 seed and getting blown out in the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament.

I think the expectations for Maryland are somewhat justified because of the facilities, history and being in a recruiting hotbed. I believe a young and hungry coaches like Nate Oates, Shaka Smart or Will Wade(who know how to "play the game")  would have Maryland in a similar spot to where Gary Williams had the program for about a 15 year period from the early 90's through the mid 2000's where you would expect a top 15 team that wins multiple games in the NCAA tournament. Those guys would have had Hunter Dickinson committing to Maryland during his sophomore year at DeMatha!!

The problem for Gary Williams(and maybe Turgeon to a lesser extent) is he was constantly able to recruit a lot of under-the-radar guys and turn them into studs who could compete with and knock off The Duke's and North Carolina's. The 2002 National Championship team was led by a bunch of guys like that. Eventually, Gary Williams couldn't really pull that off anymore, and he needed to "play the game." We know Gary Williams isn't one to hold his tongue, I believe he straight up said, "We Couldn't Get Rudy Gay Because We Didn't Pay His AAU Coach"!!  

About Hunter Dickinson, I think the Maryland site interviewed the wrong guy about Hunter Dickinson, the AAU coach is the guy causing most of the problems, not DeMatha's head coach!! It's usually the AAU coaches who cause these types of issues. It gets worse for Maryland because Dickinson(and coach Juwan Howard) have seemed to develop a personal issue with Maryland over Dickinson's recruitment, and they have taken it out on them in the 3 dominant wins over Maryland this past season!!

Mentzinger, thanks for posting that. The article also mentions that Abilene Christian earned 74 MILLION when they lost to Kentucky by 35 in the 1st round of the 2019 NCAA tournament. GW is in a multiple bid league and are in a great location in terms of a powerful city and a recruiting hotbed, so they aren't that far away(despite what we've seen in recent years!! LOL) from achieving great success. Did GW ever mention how much money they generated from NCAA appearances. I'm not sure GW could earn as much as Abilene Christian(unless GW made the Final 4) because most people have heard of GW, unlike Abilene Christian. 

3/28/2021 3:18 pm  #83

America's greatest Coach, Mark Few overpowering a Big East 5 seed like they were a 16 seed to return to the Elite 8.

3/28/2021 3:22 pm  #84

Dude, you mean the same team that 12 seed Georgetown beat by 25 just 2 weeks ago? Mark Few is a very good coach but to suggest that this was some sort of great victory is pure nonsense. Gonzaga was supposed to win and win big. 

3/28/2021 3:44 pm  #85

Gonzaga looked very good but it was a perfect match up for them .  Their defense will be tested as they face teams with taller guards and or a more imposing front line.  Gonzaga is an excellent team but they will be better tested by better teams.

3/29/2021 8:35 am  #86

If Gonzaga does win it all, it will be Coach Few's first national championship.  Given the fact that there's an active coach out there who has won five national championships, applying the "America's greatest coach" moniker to Few is of course, ridiculous.

I can't get over the job Juwan Howard has done.  Michigan became the first team in NCAA history this season to win three consecutive games over nationally ranked opponents by 19+ points earlier this year.  But the team's best work, playing without arguably their best player, came yesterday in a complete dismantling of Florida State.  Despite FSU's size advantage, Michigan feasted on points in the paint, something that the "great" Leonard Hamilton did not see coming.  It's fun watching teams who legitimately have 6-7 players who can beat you.  Makes it very hard to game plan based on shutting down 1 or 2 guys.   

3/29/2021 9:19 am  #87

Gonzaga has the highest field goal percentage on 2 point shots in history (or in the history of the KenPom era, which is over 20 years now). 

USC has the highest field goal percentage defense on 2 point shots in history. 

Should be a fascinating matchup.

3/30/2021 8:49 pm  #88

FQ, amazing stat.

America's greatest Coach, Mark Few, back to the Final 4 again.

3/30/2021 9:40 pm  #89

The Dude wrote:

FQ, amazing stat.

America's greatest Coach, Mark Few, back to the Final 4 again.

Congrats to Gonzaga. Hopefully this time, "America's Greatest Coach" can actually win a national championship. I fear that if America's Greatest Coach can't do it this year, Dude will have to stop calling him "America's Greatest Coach". That would be a shame lol.

3/31/2021 8:18 am  #90

Just among active coaches, Coach K has led Duke to 12 Final 4's, Roy Williams has been to 9, Tom Izzo and the Spartans have gone 8 times, Rick Pitino has made 7 trips, John Calipari has led teams to 6 appearances, and Jim Boeheim has taken the Orangemen to 5.  

But congratulations though to "America's Greatest Coach" on his second trip. 

3/31/2021 11:00 am  #91

I’m rooting hard for Gonzaga to be the first team from a non major conference to win it all since UNLV in 1990. A few have come close (Memphis, Butler), but they always seem to falter in the Final Four. Btw, I still think that the 1991 UNLV team was the best ever, and that their loss to Duke in the Final Four was a complete fluke.

3/31/2021 11:20 am  #92

I would not perceive the Memphis team who lost in the finals or the recent Gonzaga teams to be little guys or Cinderella stories.  Those teams compete right alongside the big guys for recruits.  Kudos to them that they are able to do it coming from smaller conferences.  As for Butler, that was a major Cinderella story, over consecutive seasons no less.

3/31/2021 11:47 am  #93

And Gonzaga just signed their first 5 star recruit ever, so they might be even better next year! But as long as they stay in the WCC, I will root for them.

3/31/2021 11:59 am  #94

DC Native wrote:

And Gonzaga just signed their first 5 star recruit ever, so they might be even better next year! But as long as they stay in the WCC, I will root for them.

Pretty sure Jalen Suggs was considered one of the top 5 or 10 recruits on the country.  Definitely 5 star.

3/31/2021 1:12 pm  #95

Suggs for sure was 5 star, but it is true that Gonzaga has until recently not been able to land them. The future does indeed look very bright.

That's 38 NCAA tourney wins for America's greatest Coach, Mark Few, out of little Spokane WA.

3/31/2021 1:43 pm  #96

My mistake. They just signed their highest rated player ever, but he is their second 5 star, the other being Suggs last year.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-recruiting-hunter-sallis-commits-to-gonzaga-as-bulldogs-land-five-star-guard/amp/

4/03/2021 10:54 pm  #97

America's Greatest Coach Mark Few and The Zags are undefeated and in the National Title game.  A win for every non power 5 conference team in the nation.

WOW, what a game, a thriller.  Had it all

4/04/2021 8:42 am  #98

But Brian, that was a Power Memorial player. Game last night was intense. It seemed that UCLA couldn't miss a shot.  I was taught that a layup is the best percentage shot, which G was making. But UCLA was making shots from everywhere. Scary.

4/04/2021 8:57 am  #99

Problem with GW students is they are mostly independent and left bonding sports in high school. Maybe make a requirement for graduation to go to one GW event with other students.
Going to UT was a totally different experience. They packed the arena for women's basketball games (Of course Pat Summit had quite a few national championships). GW use to play  UT and it was always nice to talk with Joe McKeown when he came to Knoxville. I asked him why he played such a tough early non conference schedule. He basically said, "to prepare the team for the rest of  the season" when the games really mattered. We always knew we were going to be in the Big Dance every year.

4/04/2021 11:28 am  #100

I hope everyone watched that UCLA - Gonzaga game.  Quite possibly the greatest college basketball game ever. 

Zags, who have the highest 2pt FG% in modern history, shot over 70% on twos; UCLA shot over 55% on twos and 47% from three.  Highest combined shooting % in a final 4 since Villanova upset Georgetown.

First OT final 4 game in 23 years.  First game with both teams scoring 90 since UNLV’s heyday in the early 90s. 

But what really stood out for me was just how well UCLA played.  Basically a perfect game from them.  The crazy thing is they did most of it with contested mid range jumpers.  Tyger Campbell, who had struggled for almost two months with his shot, hit contested mid range after mid range; and non-shooter Cody Riley drained 3 or 4 late.  Plus Juzang and Jaquez hitting contested buckets all game.

On the other end, Zags did what they do.  For most of the game, every single shot they took was a layup or three.  Incredible.  (They added a couple of 4 foot floaters toward the end, but didn’t take a single mid-range shot all game).

Then, late in the game you had Suggs with one of the great plays in history - blocking a dunk at the rim, chasing down the rebound, and then throwing a Shanta Rogers-style 40 foot bounce pass for the dunk.  And Timme stepping up and taking a charge, with 4 fouls and 1 second left to send it to OT. 

And then of course, the greatest shot since Laettner, maybe even better than that (and much tougher than Kris Jenkins’ open tourney winner). 

It was truly a great game. 

One thing, though, Kisbert’s been a bit off the whole tourney.  They need him to step up to Baylor.  He almost cost them the game yesterday.

Board footera