GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/09/2019 7:14 pm  #1

GW MBB Media Thread

Thought we could have a catch-all thread for media appearances by the coaches/team.

Here is JC on the Intentional Performers with Brian Levenson podcast: 
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/intentional-performers-with-brian-levenson/id1183036996?i=1000446387690

9/20/2019 7:29 am  #2

Re: GW MBB Media Thread

http://hardwoodhustle.com/episode-309-george-washington-hc-jamion-christian/

Recent podcast from “Hardwood Hustle” with a lengthy JC interview. Also available of Apple Podcast.

11/03/2019 12:23 pm  #3

11/09/2019 8:22 pm  #4

When is Adam Kilgore going to write his follow up to the pile of trash he filed about ML.

11/09/2019 8:47 pm  #5

Christian on GW Business of Sports podcast  hosted by Mark Hyman of GW Business School

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/jamion-christian/id1336625037?i=1000452836711

11/20/2019 12:30 pm  #6

JC on the Carol Maloney Show with Andy Pollin (starts around the 23:00 mark):

https://omny.fm/shows/the-carol-maloney-show/11-20-19-the-carol-maloney-show-hour-2

Last edited by GW0509 (11/20/2019 12:32 pm)

12/03/2019 3:53 pm  #7

I'm all for any positive media about our program but this article reads like an AI-written SEO article to boost Jamion Christian's PR.

https://bustingbrackets.com/2019/12/03/george-washington-basketball-jamion-christian-right-guy-lead-colonials/

12/03/2019 4:19 pm  #8

Thanks for posting this GW0509.  Seems odd to say we had ample time to "find our guy" when the coaching search did not even last a week.  In fact, Ben Standig at the time had floated the names of 6 candidates for the position (including JTIII) and Jamion was not one of the six mentioned.  Unless this negotiation with JC had been going on for say a month or so, it does seem like this decision was made extremely quickly despite having ample time.  I would have also stopped short of referring to the South Carolina game as a competitive loss.  When you fall behind 17-2 to start the game and you never seriously challenge to take the lead, I'm not sure that this is truly a competitive game.  More like a respectable final score.

1/04/2020 8:41 am  #9

1/04/2020 9:15 am  #10

That’s a great piece.   Thanks for sharing!

1/04/2020 2:56 pm  #11

Depressing tidbit from that article though: We haven't been over .500 since January 3, 2018.

Last edited by GW0509 (1/04/2020 6:22 pm)

1/05/2020 2:43 pm  #12

A little saccharine and glossing over a lot of this year's problems (and previous years) and a horrid role model mention at the end. Feinstein knows better, but will take any good publicity, as we usually get zip and JC comes off as looking good, which is good for us. 
Only two comments so far, one which would reopen old wounds and one which is very interesting from a GW basketball alumnus, Donald Ardell:
"I was a starter on GW basketball teams from 61-63 under coaches William J. (Bill) Reinhart and his Assistant George Klein, who recruited me in 1960 when we both played on an elite U.S. Air Force team. We had losing records for those three years (though we won the Southern Conference Championship in 61 despite a 9-17 season). We had several very good players, but any comparison of the quality of players, coaches, training regimens or facilities (think "Tin Tabernacle") then versus now (Smith Center) might suggest that basketball then was more akin to the time when James Naismith coached the YMCA Training School in Springfield, Massachusetts in 1891 basketball today.
I can't recall Coach Reinhart ever saying, after one of our many losses, that the other guys were just better players. It was true, no doubt on many occasions, but Bill would never let on if he thought so, which he surely must have. I don't know whether that was a good thing or not, but every time I watch college or NBA games, I'm gobsmacked at the speed, acrobatic moves, coordinated team movements, size and strength exhibited by contemporary players.  

I got an up-close-and-personal sense of the differences when I played full court in an Alumni Reunion at the Smith Center few years ago. I was the only returnee from the 60s or 70s, and experienced the Teutonic shift between the game now from what it was in my time. 
Of course, I was in my early 20's then and am an octogenarian now, but I don't think that had anything to do with it! I didn't score any points on a total of one shot, but I did distinguish myself by commiting two fouls in less than five minutes of play."

1/06/2020 3:57 pm  #13

Let's stop kidding ourselves. Most programs follow a time tested process before making a hire. We did it with Hobbs and did it again with ML. It wasn't done obviously with Mojo because the administration was still asleep at the wheel regarding Nero. It wasn't done with AD Vogel and JC because of severe financial restraints and a toxic environment that tainted GW Athletics. Until we get out of this self built hole GW dug for itself, we will never get back into the top half of this league. 
The clock for me didn't start to tick until Nero was fired in Dec of 2017. We are now in the 3rd season of our post Nero history. Nero was not involved in anything basketball related for the entire 2017-2018 season (I work at GW ). However, in fairness to JC, the clock should again be started for the beginning of the 2019-2020 season.
I was and am against the hiring of JC only because the process wasn't followed. Following the process doesn't guarantee success. Not following the process doesn't guarantee failure. I hope and pray JC has success. Lets see how the next 3 years falls out - like we did with Mojo. If the product doesn't improve with time, then thank him for his service and look for a new coach the right way. The reason I don't like the hire of JC is only that he hasn't done anything yet in his young career to justify a HC position in the A-10. He didn't consistently win or light the world on fire at either MSM or Siena. I will continue to observe from afar and write off these next 2 years but I'm seriously worried that the post ML hangover will eventually be into the 7th year if JC fails. I'm too old to survive 7 years of misery after having tasted the kool aid made by Jarvis, Hobbs and Lonergan.

1/06/2020 4:22 pm  #14

Joel Joseph wrote:

Let's stop kidding ourselves. Most programs follow a time tested process before making a hire. We did it with Hobbs and did it again with ML. It wasn't done obviously with Mojo because the administration was still asleep at the wheel regarding Nero. It wasn't done with AD Vogel and JC because of severe financial restraints and a toxic environment that tainted GW Athletics. Until we get out of this self built hole GW dug for itself, we will never get back into the top half of this league. 
The clock for me didn't start to tick until Nero was fired in Dec of 2017. We are now in the 3rd season of our post Nero history. Nero was not involved in anything basketball related for the entire 2017-2018 season (I work at GW ). However, in fairness to JC, the clock should again be started for the beginning of the 2019-2020 season.
I was and am against the hiring of JC only because the process wasn't followed. Following the process doesn't guarantee success. Not following the process doesn't guarantee failure. I hope and pray JC has success. Lets see how the next 3 years falls out - like we did with Mojo. If the product doesn't improve with time, then thank him for his service and look for a new coach the right way. The reason I don't like the hire of JC is only that he hasn't done anything yet in his young career to justify a HC position in the A-10. He didn't consistently win or light the world on fire at either MSM or Siena. I will continue to observe from afar and write off these next 2 years but I'm seriously worried that the post ML hangover will eventually be into the 7th year if JC fails. I'm too old to survive 7 years of misery after having tasted the kool aid made by Jarvis, Hobbs and Lonergan.

With all due respect Joel, you have no idea what process was followed in the hiring of JC unless you are one of four people (TV, President, Treasurer or JC). You are free speculate away if you wish but let's not pretend that you know the process that led to JC's hiring or please tell me who applied (not what was reported in media because those don't line up) and who was finally considered.

Either that or I'm sorry you didn't get the job ...lol.

1/06/2020 5:40 pm  #15

GWRising, this has nothing to do with whether JC was the best choice for the job, but it's hard to argue that GW went about this in a conventional manner.  JC was named head coach 6 days after last season ended.  Was anyone else even interviewed or realistically considered?  I know they did reach out to Dooley and it doesn't take a genius to figure out that GW (nor Joe) wanted to foot the ECU bill for a buyout.  Considering that MoJo was extended without any competition due to the fact that he could keep a secret, I do think that many fans wanted the school to conduct a careful search, take their time, and get it right.  That said, they may very well have gotten it right in the end.   

1/06/2020 5:46 pm  #16

Gwmayhem wrote:

GWRising, this has nothing to do with whether JC was the best choice for the job, but it's hard to argue that GW went about this in a conventional manner.  JC was named head coach 6 days after last season ended.  Was anyone else even interviewed or realistically considered?  I know they did reach out to Dooley and it doesn't take a genius to figure out that GW (nor Joe) wanted to foot the ECU bill for a buyout.  Considering that MoJo was extended without any competition due to the fact that he could keep a secret, I do think that many fans wanted the school to conduct a careful search, take their time, and get it right.  That said, they may very well have gotten it right in the end.   

Absolutely went about it in a conventional manner. Hired a search firm. Interviewed several candidates. Picked 3 for second interviews. Made a selection. Please tell me how this differs from any other process. Remember, GW knew there was going to be a change and did their homework long before the change was actually announced. And no, Dooley was never a serious consideration and not just because of the buyout. This was not JC's job to lose. JC had to earn it and their were some other impressive candidates.

Also as to timing, there were several other jobs that GW learned were either open or about to become open, so GW wanted to move quickly so as to have their pick. For the record, GW was not the only A-10 program interested in JC.

Last edited by GWRising (1/06/2020 5:48 pm)

1/06/2020 6:34 pm  #17

GWrising, stop misinterpreting what I post.
There is a similiar process that all schools go through when hiring a coach.
As Mayhem pointed out (and what every college hoops fan with half a brain knows) GW did the last 2 hires on the cheap and easy (or to put it a nicer way for you - unconventionally). Due to the financial restraints they were under and other factors, they made certain decisions and have to live with it.
JC might become the next Mark Few or he might be the next Mojo (someone who was given an opportunity before he was ready).
Sounds like your familiar with the search committee, number of 2nd interviews, etc. If you're Tanya or JC, don't take it so personal - I just think you were the wrong hire (and stay off fan sites!). Go out and prove us wrong.

1/07/2020 10:08 am  #18

Joel Joseph wrote:

GWrising, stop misinterpreting what I post.
There is a similiar process that all schools go through when hiring a coach.
As Mayhem pointed out (and what every college hoops fan with half a brain knows) GW did the last 2 hires on the cheap and easy (or to put it a nicer way for you - unconventionally). Due to the financial restraints they were under and other factors, they made certain decisions and have to live with it.
JC might become the next Mark Few or he might be the next Mojo (someone who was given an opportunity before he was ready).
Sounds like your familiar with the search committee, number of 2nd interviews, etc. If you're Tanya or JC, don't take it so personal - I just think you were the wrong hire (and stay off fan sites!). Go out and prove us wrong.

First of all I am neither TV or JC lol and I don't speak for either.

But I am not misinterpreting anything. You have stated as facts things that simply didn't happen (e.g. there was no process or GW did things on the cheap). JC is compensated very well and not at the bottom of the league. You keep talking about financial restraints. GW has put more money into the program this year than probably ever before that includes program resources besides the upgrades to the Smith Center. The resources are in place.

I can't tell you whether JC will ultimately lead us to new heights - I don't have a crystal ball. But I can tell you he was a great choice given the options and gives us the best chance of being successful.

Last edited by GWRising (1/07/2020 10:09 am)

1/07/2020 12:52 pm  #19

GWRising, I am sure there's some truth to what you're saying but as has happened in the past, your comments tend to often skew towards defending this program's actions (with the exception being much of the ML/PN mess.  I am also assuming you are a particular poster from the old site when I say this, and I do apologize if this site is the first GW message board you have ever posted on.)

The only other A10 program which could have had interest in JC would be St. Joe's since they were the only other one with a head coach opening.  It would make sense that the Hawks might be interested in an effort to keep JNJ at the school (though they were seemingly very interested in Billy Lange from the beginning).  However, from JC's perspective, he is from Virginia, his brother coaches in DC, his parents could more easily drive up to see games, he grew up watching the Jarvis teams play on Home Team Sports, etc.  Plus, if JNJ was a factor, it would be a whole lot easier to convince him to play at GW rather than at a school who fired the coach he was all set to play for (that his dad had played for), and who wouldn't hire his father to be the head coach to replace him (if there was any truth to this).  

Also, it's hard to defend that economics did not play a role.  My educated guess suggests that JC is earning between 60%-75% of what Lonergan would be earning today at GW.  And rightfully so; JC is much younger and has less experience.  But, he shows tremendous potential.  Very similar to the initial hiring of Karl Hobbs.  Given this program's revenues, it was a sensible hire.  Referring to the hire as being on the cheap sounds harsh; however, there were some rumblings that suggested that GW was going to shell out a package in the neighborhood of $1 million annually (give or take) to get this one right, and clearly, they did not spend anywhere near this amount on a coach.  Therefore, it is easy to understand Joel Joseph's frustration about this.

For this to materialize as quickly as it did once the season ended, if what you're saying is correct, this negotiation had to be taking place during the season while MoJo was still the coach.  Did MoJo know this was going on or was it done behind his back? Just curious.

1/07/2020 3:02 pm  #20

Gwmayhem wrote:

GWRising, I am sure there's some truth to what you're saying but as has happened in the past, your comments tend to often skew towards defending this program's actions (with the exception being much of the ML/PN mess.  I am also assuming you are a particular poster from the old site when I say this, and I do apologize if this site is the first GW message board you have ever posted on.)

The only other A10 program which could have had interest in JC would be St. Joe's since they were the only other one with a head coach opening.  It would make sense that the Hawks might be interested in an effort to keep JNJ at the school (though they were seemingly very interested in Billy Lange from the beginning).  However, from JC's perspective, he is from Virginia, his brother coaches in DC, his parents could more easily drive up to see games, he grew up watching the Jarvis teams play on Home Team Sports, etc.  Plus, if JNJ was a factor, it would be a whole lot easier to convince him to play at GW rather than at a school who fired the coach he was all set to play for (that his dad had played for), and who wouldn't hire his father to be the head coach to replace him (if there was any truth to this).  

Also, it's hard to defend that economics did not play a role.  My educated guess suggests that JC is earning between 60%-75% of what Lonergan would be earning today at GW.  And rightfully so; JC is much younger and has less experience.  But, he shows tremendous potential.  Very similar to the initial hiring of Karl Hobbs.  Given this program's revenues, it was a sensible hire.  Referring to the hire as being on the cheap sounds harsh; however, there were some rumblings that suggested that GW was going to shell out a package in the neighborhood of $1 million annually (give or take) to get this one right, and clearly, they did not spend anywhere near this amount on a coach.  Therefore, it is easy to understand Joel Joseph's frustration about this.

For this to materialize as quickly as it did once the season ended, if what you're saying is correct, this negotiation had to be taking place during the season while MoJo was still the coach.  Did MoJo know this was going on or was it done behind his back? Just curious.

Not sure what other poster you are referring to but these comments are my own.

A couple of points ... Yes, SJU had in the midst of GW's search reached out to JC to gauge interest. GW knew if they wanted JC they would have to move fast or he could go there. There was one other non-A-10 job but mid-major also buzzing around.

Second, JC makes more than you have guessed let's leave it at that.

Third, let's be clear you cannot negotiate with a coach under contract without permission. No permission was sought and none was granted until after Siena's season. At that point, there was still a process going. As I said before, this was not JC's job to lose he had to beat out some other solid candidates. However, once he became the strongest candiate in the minds of the leadership, GW did not want to lose out so they moved up the timetable to make a decision.

Finally, every AD has some names ready to evaluate because in the coaching business you never know. Your coach could be successful but leave. So I'm sure TV was prepared and had thought this through likely knowing that Mojo's days were numbered. But again, I don't believe any formal contact was made with anyone until Mojo was formally let go.

Last edited by GWRising (1/07/2020 3:09 pm)

Board footera