GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/07/2020 3:48 pm  #21

Re: GW MBB Media Thread

OK, so if I'm understanding you correctly, MoJo was relieved of his duties, a search firm was hired, JC was then contacted and subsequently interviewed, other candidates were interviewed, JC's contract was then negotiated, and finally, JC was hired, all within a 6 day period?  That does sound fast for all of that to have happened.

1/07/2020 3:58 pm  #22

What is the over/under on how many more messages in this thread before it is locked?

1/07/2020 5:40 pm  #23

GWRising knows what JC makes, knows he was contacted by St Joe's, etc?

Rising, what did JC get for Christmas? Just curious.

1/07/2020 5:49 pm  #24

Gwmayhem wrote:

OK, so if I'm understanding you correctly, MoJo was relieved of his duties, a search firm was hired, JC was then contacted and subsequently interviewed, other candidates were interviewed, JC's contract was then negotiated, and finally, JC was hired, all within a 6 day period?  That does sound fast for all of that to have happened.

It's entirely possible that Mojo was notified before but it was not announced until after the last game. It's entirely possible the search firm was retained before the last game so it was ready to spring into action. But even if that didn't happen, 6 days is not warp speed if you had been thinking about it for awhile and had a plan of how to conduct the process.As a point of reference the St. Joseph's search took 9 days.Alabama took 3 days I believe to hire Nate Oats after letting Avery Johnson go. I am sure there are many quicker examples.

1/07/2020 6:01 pm  #25

Joel Joseph wrote:

GWRising knows what JC makes, knows he was contacted by St Joe's, etc?

Rising, what did JC get for Christmas? Just curious.

There were tweets at the time stating this (St. Joseph's) from either Rothstein, Parrish or Goodman. I'll try and find them.

The contract info is based on what GW was generally offering in the process. I assume he at least got that but maybe more if his agent was really good.

But no I don't know what he got for Christmas lol.

1/07/2020 7:51 pm  #26

It was indeed reported that St. Joe's was interested in JC as I remember seeing those tweets in March, but I figure those tweets have been deleted by now.

Regardless, let's move on before things get out of hand. These aren't the conversations to be had for a coach that hasn't even been at the helm for a full season yet.

1/07/2020 9:10 pm  #27

At the risk of going where my opinion is irrelevant, I remain thrilled with the hire of JC and I don't really care how it happened.  You can be critical if you like, but my impression was (and remains) that it was a good decision to hire JC.  

Nothing said here will change my opinion.

1/08/2020 9:55 am  #28

dmvpiranha wrote:

It was indeed reported that St. Joe's was interested in JC as I remember seeing those tweets in March, but I figure those tweets have been deleted by now.

Regardless, let's move on before things get out of hand. These aren't the conversations to be had for a coach that hasn't even been at the helm for a full season yet.

Agreed entirely. I think what a few here miss is that Mark Few, Tom Izzo or Roy Williams weren't walking through that door. So the idea that JC was the wrong hire presumes you know who would have been a better hire and that GW could have actually obtained given its current situation. Since I generally know who was involved, folks here should rest assured that again this job was not wired and that GW considered a number of quality candidates. While arguments could have been made for/against any of them, JC emerged as the one. Impossible at this point to fault that judgment without a lot more data.

To me, the criticisms of the process are probably mostly the result of the fact that someone else's desired guy was not hired.. 

1/08/2020 10:43 am  #29

I'm not interested in prolonging this discussion but I just don't like to see positions misrepresented.  Not one person here has said that JC was the wrong hire, or a bad hire, or for that matter, that he couldn't turn out to be a great coach for GW.  GWRising appears to be defending JC personally and that is not at all where the criticism lies.  The criticism is twofold:

1) GW's choice appears to have been financially motivated (a nicer way of saying on the cheap).  The reality is that JC is a young coach still in his 30's.  He certainly is making more than MoJo was but quite a bit less than Lonergan was.  By contrast, if the school was interested in Joe Dooley (and I'm not saying that they were or should have been), he would have commanded substantially more money.

2) The process in selecting JC appears to have been too quick to have been thorough.  Since Nate Oats's deal was done even more quickly at Alabama, let's review that.  Alabama did not employ a search firm and knew that Oats was the coach they wanted from the beginning.  He was arguably among the hottest midmajor coaches in the country.  Other candidates were not considered.  His salary tripled.  Alabama paid a $750,000 buyout to Buffalo.  That's how a deal gets done in 3 or 4 days.  So in GW's case, it does appear that JC was the guy they wanted all along for a deal to happen this quickly.  Thus, the criticism is given the state of the program, would it have been more prudent to take its time (not forever, but say 2-3 weeks) to carefully consider a number of choices.  This criticism has nothing to do with whether I or anyone wanted JC to get the job or not.  

With that, nothing more needs to be said on the matter.  Carry on.

Last edited by Gwmayhem (1/08/2020 10:46 am)

1/08/2020 12:06 pm  #30

I don't know what you are arguing about, but I think the criticism that JC was a result of a rushed process is really silly.  A year before MoJo was hired, the administration sent an email to fans that basically said, 'yeah we know we're screwed with MoJo as coach, but we're going to wait to next year to fire him unless things somehow change" so there was no doubt in my mind that the administration spent the last year of MoJo's tenure lining up coaching candidates/finalists.   I really don't think they woke up one day and decided to fire MoJo and also on that day began the process of finding his replacement.  That's just not my understanding of how college basketball (or any how profile professional with a limited talent pool) works. 

1/08/2020 12:11 pm  #31

Gwmayhem wrote:

I'm not interested in prolonging this discussion but I just don't like to see positions misrepresented.  Not one person here has said that JC was the wrong hire, or a bad hire, or for that matter, that he couldn't turn out to be a great coach for GW.  GWRising appears to be defending JC personally and that is not at all where the criticism lies.  The criticism is twofold:

1) GW's choice appears to have been financially motivated (a nicer way of saying on the cheap).  The reality is that JC is a young coach still in his 30's.  He certainly is making more than MoJo was but quite a bit less than Lonergan was.  By contrast, if the school was interested in Joe Dooley (and I'm not saying that they were or should have been), he would have commanded substantially more money.

2) The process in selecting JC appears to have been too quick to have been thorough.  Since Nate Oats's deal was done even more quickly at Alabama, let's review that.  Alabama did not employ a search firm and knew that Oats was the coach they wanted from the beginning.  He was arguably among the hottest midmajor coaches in the country.  Other candidates were not considered.  His salary tripled.  Alabama paid a $750,000 buyout to Buffalo.  That's how a deal gets done in 3 or 4 days.  So in GW's case, it does appear that JC was the guy they wanted all along for a deal to happen this quickly.  Thus, the criticism is given the state of the program, would it have been more prudent to take its time (not forever, but say 2-3 weeks) to carefully consider a number of choices.  This criticism has nothing to do with whether I or anyone wanted JC to get the job or not.  

With that, nothing more needs to be said on the matter.  Carry on.

Yes something more needs to be said.

First, not defending JC in this thread, defending the process that led to JC. Two different things entirely. It is too soon to need to defend JC as no one should have formed a definitive opinion on his coaching yet.

Second, again, your statement as to how much JC makes is factually false.

Third, I notice you did not address St.. Joseph's that was 9 days. If you think Alabama was different, then how about:

Michigan - 9 days
Cincinnati - 5 days
Nebraska - 4 days
Virginia Tech - 4 days
Tulane - 8 days

Should I go on? Having been involved in multiple coach hiring processes for all size schools, I can assure you that there was nothing rushed or out of the norm about GW's process.

1/08/2020 12:12 pm  #32

Free Quebec wrote:

I don't know what you are arguing about, but I think the criticism that JC was a result of a rushed process is really silly.  A year before MoJo was hired, the administration sent an email to fans that basically said, 'yeah we know we're screwed with MoJo as coach, but we're going to wait to next year to fire him unless things somehow change" so there was no doubt in my mind that the administration spent the last year of MoJo's tenure lining up coaching candidates/finalists.   I really don't think they woke up one day and decided to fire MoJo and also on that day began the process of finding his replacement.  That's just not my understanding of how college basketball (or any how profile professional with a limited talent pool) works. 

Exactly Free Quebec.

1/08/2020 12:58 pm  #33

FQ, I am not suggesting that GW had no idea ahead of time that a coaching change was going to be made.  Of course they gave thought to who they would like as their next head coach well in advance.  But, you are not allowed to contact candidates under contract during the season.  

GWRising, I'll make it simple.  How many candidates did GW interview?  Were these all done in person or over the phone?  Was there a second round of interviews?  Was this a full-fledged effort to give consideration to a number of candidates or was this more of a "we know who we want so let's make this happen" situation like Nate Oats was?

If the answer is the former, I just find it hard to believe that this could all get done in 6 days but if this was the case, I apologize to the board for prolonging this.  If the answer is the latter, then I think what gets called into question is whether the school truly took its time in evaluating and weeding out candidates in the interest of reaching a deal as quickly as possible. 

1/08/2020 12:59 pm  #34

Thx FQ. I’d forgotten about the letter.

1/08/2020 1:49 pm  #35

Gwmayhem wrote:

FQ, I am not suggesting that GW had no idea ahead of time that a coaching change was going to be made.  Of course they gave thought to who they would like as their next head coach well in advance.  But, you are not allowed to contact candidates under contract during the season.  

GWRising, I'll make it simple.  How many candidates did GW interview?  Were these all done in person or over the phone?  Was there a second round of interviews?  Was this a full-fledged effort to give consideration to a number of candidates or was this more of a "we know who we want so let's make this happen" situation like Nate Oats was?

If the answer is the former, I just find it hard to believe that this could all get done in 6 days but if this was the case, I apologize to the board for prolonging this.  If the answer is the latter, then I think what gets called into question is whether the school truly took its time in evaluating and weeding out candidates in the interest of reaching a deal as quickly as possible. 

At least six were initially interviewed either in person or by Skype by TV; possibly more.. Three were brought back for 2nd in-person interviews which included the President, the Treasurer, I believe possibly at least one board member and TV. A decision was then made. 

I think the thing you are missing and consistent with Free Quebec's point, is that GW already had some names that they were interested in. As Free says, GW didn't wake up one day and decide to part ways with Mojo. It was well known that Mojo was going to go before it actually happened. GW got many resumes unsolicited - kind of the unseemly part of the business (i.e. before the body is cold). Believe it or not, impending coaching changes for performance are about the worst kept secret in the industry and everyone, through their agents and intermediaries, pre-positions. Also, GW, I am certain, reached out to the search firm to inquire what it would cost and the process if they went in that direction. This also happened well before Mojo was let go.

So when you keep harping on 6 days, it wasn't really 6 days as much of the ground work had been laid. It took 6 days to interview and reach a decision but the process was tee'd up well before.

Finally, if you have been observing coaching hires in all sports they are moving at warp speed these days. This is not like the old days. In the digital era, due diligence can be done very quickly.

1/08/2020 2:15 pm  #36

The conversation will be put to rest when JC wins some games.
The process used by GW, even though expected, still stinks. We hired him on the cheap. The difference between JC and the other coach's hired (Buffalo, etc) is like between night and day. Successful coach's don't last. JC is not a PROVEN winner yet. He wasn't successful at MSM or Siena to warrant his hire at an A-10 school. He was hired because GW was in dire straights and he was the best option available to a school with both financial and reputation difficulties.

My biggest problem with him so far is he doesn't seem to have the experience to make the necessary half time adjustments. It wasn't that long ago when I felt confident of a GW win if we kept it close until half time, regardless of who we were playing. That's because our coach was better at making the necessary adjustments and having the players execute them. Those days are gone (just like wins over ranked teams like UVA, UMD, Dayton, VCU are gone for now).

1/08/2020 2:50 pm  #37

Joel Joseph wrote:

The conversation will be put to rest when JC wins some games.
The process used by GW, even though expected, still stinks. We hired him on the cheap. The difference between JC and the other coach's hired (Buffalo, etc) is like between night and day. Successful coach's don't last. JC is not a PROVEN winner yet. He wasn't successful at MSM or Siena to warrant his hire at an A-10 school. He was hired because GW was in dire straights and he was the best option available to a school with both financial and reputation difficulties.

My biggest problem with him so far is he doesn't seem to have the experience to make the necessary half time adjustments. It wasn't that long ago when I felt confident of a GW win if we kept it close until half time, regardless of who we were playing. That's because our coach was better at making the necessary adjustments and having the players execute them. Those days are gone (just like wins over ranked teams like UVA, UMD, Dayton, VCU are gone for now).

Joel, you seem to forget that Nero destroyed the program. Which "PROVEN" winning coach did you think we would get? And when I say "PROVEN" I mean more "PROVEN" than JC who went to the tournament twice at MSM and took an 8-win Siena team in one year to 17 wins and never had a conference losing record in his 7 seasons. So my question is what PROVEN winning coach? Please name them. Me, I'd say GW was fortunate to get a coach of JC's caliber given all that transpired..

By your standards, you would have been out on Lonergan after two years and 23 total wins. Thank God GW didn't listen to you then. Although maybe unfortunately Nero listened to you later.

1/08/2020 6:14 pm  #38

Plenty of good candidates to choose from.
Becker from Vermont. Odom from UMBC. 2 from the AEast with local ties with PROVEN records of success. There are others in the AEast, MAAC, Patriot, etc that would jump at the opportunity to coach in the A-10. The only problem is would they want to come to GW after all that happened 3 years ago?
GWRising, let it go, move on and pray JC can start signing some recruits/transfers above 1 and 2 stars.

1/09/2020 6:58 am  #39

As my Rabbi would say..."And let us say Amen!"

1/09/2020 10:41 am  #40

Joel Joseph wrote:

Plenty of good candidates to choose from.
Becker from Vermont. Odom from UMBC. 2 from the AEast with local ties with PROVEN records of success. There are others in the AEast, MAAC, Patriot, etc that would jump at the opportunity to coach in the A-10. The only problem is would they want to come to GW after all that happened 3 years ago?
GWRising, let it go, move on and pray JC can start signing some recruits/transfers above 1 and 2 stars.

First of all Joel, recruit stars are often bullshit. Plenty of 3 and 4 star recruits being outplayed by 1 and 2 star guys. Recruiting stars are assigned by guys who often know not much. Can't go by that all the time.

Second, my sources tell me neither Becker or Odom were interested and neither was interviewed. So what was GW to do? I'd like to know what other guys you think were better AND THAT WERE INTERESTED IN COMING TO GW. Again, it's great to have this discussion in the abstract but then the cold hard facts hit you.

Board footera