GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/16/2021 2:18 pm  #1

Paulsen Out At George Mason

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanHoops 
George Mason has parted ways with Dave Paulsen, source told @Stadium. @jeffborzello first with the news.

Hopefully MoJo lands on his feet.  While we can all argue about his W/L record here as HC, he is a good dude worth rooting for.

3/16/2021 2:29 pm  #2

Re: Paulsen Out At George Mason

I don't know why, but I'm surprised by this one.

Last edited by BGF (3/16/2021 2:31 pm)

3/16/2021 2:37 pm  #3

BGF has a good point.
Actually thought beating us in the tournament would help his case.
As pointed out in another thread, we did our best to help Paulsen's W-L record this year.

3/16/2021 2:43 pm  #4

Paulsen led Mason to one CBI appearance in 6 years.  I would hope that if that's all JC does in 6 years here we'd move on as well.  He was the picture perfect definition of an average coach, both in overall record and in finishes in the A-10.  Hopefully Mason decides to hire someone with no ties to the DC region again so we can continue to be the first choice for BCS transfers coming home.

3/16/2021 2:54 pm  #5

Not surprised considering their mediocrity these past 6 years,

I have to believe that Caputo is/should be in the mix - he deserves it based on his resume and has waited a long time. I bet John Becker (Vermont) will also be a candidate.

GMU has a great AD - Brad Edwards. Played for the WFT for a spell. Not surprised that he has higher expectations for his program and has the support of his administration. Can't say the same for GW.

Remember the days when GMU couldn't beat us, no matter how many times we played them?

3/16/2021 5:26 pm  #6

Rising star Carm, an obvious candidate for The Mason job.

3/16/2021 5:29 pm  #7

The Dude wrote:

Rising star Carm, an obvious candidate for The Mason job.

Only in your imagination Dude. Carry-on.

3/16/2021 5:36 pm  #8

GW Basketball has more in common with Indiana than one would think.
Hollywood made a movie about their rabid basketball fans - Hoosiers.
Hollywood made a movie about 2 of our fans - Dumb (Dude) and Dumber (Brian Paul).

3/16/2021 8:26 pm  #9

I'm a bit surprised by George Mason firing Paulson, even though he's never really come close to making the NCAA tournament, Mason has never been Fordham-level bad during most of his tenure. Paulson was winning just enough not to get fired, but I guess something changed this year. Was it the season-ending loss to Davidson where they weren't competitive? Did the alums make enough noise to where the administration had to take this action? Who do you guys think George Mason will target, an up-and-comer from a mid-major or a BCS retread. They've done both with their last 2 hires(Paul Hewitt and Paulson) and neither worked out. 

3/16/2021 8:46 pm  #10

I think some of the alums want to bring back “the good old days” so it wouldn’t surprise me if they hired one of JL’s assistants as HC or one of their former Final Four guys as an assistant (similar to our desire for Mike Hall to get hired for our last AC opening).

3/16/2021 10:09 pm  #11

I am hearing a current SEC assistant with ties to Baltimore.

3/17/2021 7:31 am  #12

GWRising wrote:

Given how often we seemed to be competing with Ole Miss, they must have someone with ties to this area.  Maybe Levi Watkins?  I think he went to Montrose Christian.

3/17/2021 7:34 am  #13

Free Quebec wrote:

GWRising wrote:

Given how often we seemed to be competing with Ole Miss, they must have someone with ties to this area. Maybe Levi Watkins? I think he went to Montrose Christian.

Probably talking about Kim English, current assistant at Tennessee.

3/17/2021 7:52 am  #14

GW0509 wrote:

Free Quebec wrote:

GWRising wrote:

Given how often we seemed to be competing with Ole Miss, they must have someone with ties to this area. Maybe Levi Watkins? I think he went to Montrose Christian.

Probably talking about Kim English, current assistant at Tennessee.

Not sure I knew he was coaching.  Feels like he just stopped playing at Missouri.

3/17/2021 11:49 am  #15

FQ, you're right about Kim English, I'm guessing he graduating from Missouri less than 10 years ago. He was a very good player at Missouri too and could have made a lot of money playing professionally. It looks like he got into coaching a few years after college, instead of pursuing a long playing career. He's made a quick rise up the coaching ladder if he's already up for an A-10 job. 

3/17/2021 1:10 pm  #16

Call the Bowie gym and see if a certain bald man in his mid 50s is available.  Pros, will take the job for a tiny salary, cons: abuses his players

3/17/2021 2:25 pm  #17

Dumb (Dude) of Dumb and Dumber fame was set off by something.
Was it Pitino exposing Carm as a wanabee coach?
Must be nice not having a job - on his way to reaching 2000 posts here first!

3/17/2021 2:38 pm  #18

What I'll miss most about Paulsen is that each time I look at him, I am reminded of one of the funnier lines on this board (I forget who said it and if it was you, feel free to take a bow):

"Dave Paulsen looks like the epitome of middle management."  Or, it may have been "embodiment".  Either way, it was very funny.

3/17/2021 3:06 pm  #19

Gwmayhem wrote:

What I'll miss most about Paulsen is that each time I look at him, I am reminded of one of the funnier lines on this board (I forget who said it and if it was you, feel free to take a bow):

"Dave Paulsen looks like the epitome of middle management."  Or, it may have been "embodiment".  Either way, it was very funny.

LOL, he's basically Jerry Lundegaard from Fargo.

3/17/2021 5:11 pm  #20

A better look than the epitome of having the resting face look of "Coach who abuses his own players" that we used to employ

Board footera