GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/26/2021 12:44 pm  #21

Re: Coaching carousel?

Shaka Smart is from Wisconsin, that must have played a big role(in addition to boosters and a lot of fans wanting him out) in why he took the Marquette job. Shaka was well on his way to having VCU become a Gonzaga-like force where he could regularly beat out BCS schools for recruits and have them ranked in the top 10 every year. How much different would the A-10 look now if Shaka stayed and actually turned VCU into an east coast version of Gonzaga? He never got past the 2nd round at Texas but he did recruit a number of guys who are now in the NBA. I guess he can sell that to recruits at Marquette. 

Take this for what it's worth, but @coachingchanges(Isn't that GW Rising's favorite twitter site?? LOL) is saying that Mark Turgeon could be in the mix for the Oklahoma job, Lon Kruger retired yesterday. If Turgeon left for Oklahoma( or maybe Texas) or got fired, they list Tommy Amaker, Ben Howland, John Lucas, Ryan Odom, Bruce Pearl and John Thompson III(LOL..really??) as candidates to replace Turgeon. 

https://twitter.com/CoachingChanges/status/1375501064938561541   

3/26/2021 1:24 pm  #22

If Shaka has any regrets about leaving VCU, it would likely be to coach a team whose fan base has oversized expectations for its program.  Imagine coaching a team who was essentially a top 12 team throughout most of this season, won their school's first-ever conference championship as well as an NIT Championship, reached the NCAA's 3 out of an eligible 5 seasons (though to be fair, struggled mightily when reaching the NCAA's including this year's first round), and fans are calling for your replacement.  Shaka now moves on to his home state where he will be coaching Marquette, earning at least 33%-50% more money than he did during his final season at VCU, and in a conference that has produced its share of national champions (something the A10 can not say, certainly of late).  My guess is that his regrets are few and far between.

3/26/2021 1:27 pm  #23

Thomas, I could not have foreseen Shaka having Gonzaga-like success in the A10, a conference that's too difficult to dominate the way Gonzaga can dominate the WCC.  Even during their best seasons, it's not like Temple or Xavier won the A10 perpetually.  Also, Seth Davis predicted that Turgeon will be hired at Oklahoma.  Found that to be interesting. 

3/26/2021 6:27 pm  #24

Shaka leaving demonstrates that it’s not just the players who are apparently sefish

3/27/2021 9:04 am  #25

danjsport wrote:

Shaka leaving demonstrates that it’s not just the players who are apparently sefish

Shaka was most likely getting fired if he didn't leave. I would call it more self-preservation. Smart man. Nobody at Texas is too upset apparently.

3/27/2021 1:40 pm  #26

Thomas, word perfect

3/27/2021 6:02 pm  #27

Thomas wrote:

Shaka Smart is from Wisconsin, that must have played a big role(in addition to boosters and a lot of fans wanting him out) in why he took the Marquette job. Shaka was well on his way to having VCU become a Gonzaga-like force where he could regularly beat out BCS schools for recruits and have them ranked in the top 10 every year. How much different would the A-10 look now if Shaka stayed and actually turned VCU into an east coast version of Gonzaga? He never got past the 2nd round at Texas but he did recruit a number of guys who are now in the NBA. I guess he can sell that to recruits at Marquette. 

Take this for what it's worth, but @coachingchanges(Isn't that GW Rising's favorite twitter site?? LOL) is saying that Mark Turgeon could be in the mix for the Oklahoma job, Lon Kruger retired yesterday. If Turgeon left for Oklahoma( or maybe Texas) or got fired, they list Tommy Amaker, Ben Howland, John Lucas, Ryan Odom, Bruce Pearl and John Thompson III(LOL..really??) as candidates to replace Turgeon. 

https://twitter.com/CoachingChanges/status/1375501064938561541   

Remember when JTIII tried to leak his name as potential GW coach?  Guess he’s doing it again, with Maryland.  He needs a better strategy than leaking his own name for jobs he’s never going to get to try to drum up interest.

3/27/2021 9:49 pm  #28

Agree that JTIII is a self-promoter without the background to back it up.
He did leak it with us,but didn't we sadly give him credence,instead of laughing out loud?

3/28/2021 9:42 am  #29

In my opinion, JTIII coming to GW a few years ago, had way more credence than him going to Maryland now. Despite how things ended at Georgetown for JTIII, he did make the Final 4, produce several NBA players and won the Big East a couple times, so a step down from the Big East to the A-10 after getting fired seemed logical. Going to Maryland after getting fired from Georgetown and being out of coaching for a few years makes zero sense. Maybe JTIII has access to @coachingchanges twitter password and put his name as a candidate!! HA!

If Turgeon does get bought out by the boosters or gets hired by Oklahoma, Tommy Amaker or Ryan Odom would make the most sense to me.

Now that Loyola Chicago's season is over, it will be interesting to see what Porter Moser does. He's now made 2 deep runs into the NCAA tournament with Loyola and there are some high profile jobs open with Indiana, Texas and Oklahoma. Maybe the DePaul job would interest him since he's been coaching at Loyola and could probably get the some of the best high schoolers from Illinois to sign with DePaul since he's already been recruiting a lot in the state. A big reason Brad Underwood was able to turn Illinois into an elite team was signing 2 or 3 of the top players from Illinois(Dosunmu and Adam Miller) over the last few years.

Last edited by Thomas (4/03/2021 9:19 am)

3/28/2021 7:26 pm  #30

Kudos to Mike Woodson for getting the Indiana job.  And they also hired Thad Matta as an Associate AD for men's basketball.  Good for them.

4/01/2021 2:11 pm  #31

GMU has released Kim English’s compensation. He’s set to earn $925,000 this season. Pretty good work if you can get it.

https://t.co/nqpbGcDCE3

4/01/2021 2:46 pm  #32

Looks like Chris Beard to Texas.  

4/03/2021 9:18 am  #33

This has been quite a year for big-time jobs opening up now with North Carolina. North Carolina is truly a blue blood, unlike schools like Texas and Indiana who seem to think they are a blue blood. Unfortunately for North Carolina there doesn't appear to be any former great players or coaches(King Rice? Jerry Stackhouse? Hubert Davis? Joe Wolf? Jason Capel? Jeff Lebo?) who are tearing it up right now on their own and they seem to be a school who likes to hire from the North Carolina "family." UNC-Greensboro coach Wes Miller may be the only former Tar-Heel who is flourishing now.  The best available coach for all these jobs is probably Brad Stevens, leaving the Boston Celtics(who appear to have quit on him) for North Carolina makes the most sense to me because UNC is on par with Duke and Kentucky, in terms of tradition and winning, B.Stevens is young enough to have a historic 25-30-year run.

Oklahoma has hired Loyola Chicago coach Porter Moser. He took this job too soon, he should have held out for North Carolina!! 

4/03/2021 6:15 pm  #34

Is the Cinci job about to become available? Hmmm, six players transfer out and suddenly the coach is on the hot seat?
https://www.wcpo.com/sports/local-sports/bearcats-head-mens-basketball-coach-placed-on-administrative-leave

4/05/2021 3:35 pm  #35

Hubert Davis will become the next UNC coach. Big move by UNC for two reasons. On a lesser note, they hired an assistant as opposed to a head coach. On a more important note, Hubert will be the first black head coach at UNC which along with Duke were two of the remaining schools never to have a black head coach. 

4/05/2021 4:17 pm  #36

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

Is the Cinci job about to become available? Hmmm, six players transfer out and suddenly the coach is on the hot seat?
https://www.wcpo.com/sports/local-sports/bearcats-head-mens-basketball-coach-placed-on-administrative-leave

Wouldn't be surprised to hear if the allegations are of the "verbal abuse" variety.  While the exact allegations have not been released, you can read between the lines:

https://www.fox19.com/2021/03/26/bearcats-mens-basketball-program-under-review-following-allegations-uc-says/

“Coach Brannen is going to push you,” the player said. “He’s going to put you in uncomfortable situations in practice in terms of basketball, not socially. That’s how you get better. He’s going to demand it out of you.

“It’s not easy. I tell people that all the time. Playing for Coach Brannen is not easy. It’s one of the hardest things I’ve ever done. It doesn’t mean it’s a bad thing. He pushed me to limits that I didn’t know I had. That made me the player I was. I guess I embraced that more than others do.

“Just like every offensive play style isn’t for certain people, coaching styles aren’t always for certain people.”

A parent of a UC player talked to FOX19 NOW on Friday about the allegations.“He doesn’t let the parents be involved in the program at all. With this COVID stuff, it went crazy. Other parents I’ve talked to from this year and years before, that turned them off big time. That was a problem he had at NKU, too.

“These kids didn’t leave for nothing. We’re looking at it like, ‘these are new age kids and they don’t want to wait their turn.’ That’s not how it is. It’s 50-50. People perceive it that John is doing nothing wrong. That’s not reality. These kids came here for a reason. They also left for a reason.”

4/05/2021 4:29 pm  #37

GWRising wrote:

Hubert Davis will become the next UNC coach. Big move by UNC for two reasons. On a lesser note, they hired an assistant as opposed to a head coach. On a more important note, Hubert will be the first black head coach at UNC which along with Duke were two of the remaining schools never to have a black head coach. 

GWRising, who you feel would replace Coach K if he decided to retire this summer?  I feel Tommy Amaker would be a good choice but he's not working for Coach K at the moment and Harvard may not let him go.  I was also thinking Johnny Dawkins could be a possibility but he's not on the staff and hasn't been overly successful.  I am thinking it could be Nate James as he is is on staff and is known to be highly respected by Coach K.  

4/05/2021 4:35 pm  #38

I think there are 4 candidates with Duke connections to replace Coach K ...

Tommy Amaker
Johnny Dawkins
Quin Snyder
Jon Scheyer

The problem with Tommy is his wife has a great job in the Boston area and they haven't wanted to leave despite many interested schools.

I don't see Capel, Wojo, Collins, Brey or James having a shot at this point.. 

4/05/2021 4:48 pm  #39

Not to say that it couldn't be verbal abuse but the consensus appears to be more along the lines of physical abuse.  Too many practices.  Practicing for too long.  And who knows what may have gone on at some of these practices?  It is indeed a balancing act.  A coach can not afford to push, push, push without ever pulling back.

4/05/2021 5:50 pm  #40

Jerry Stackhouse(all-time great UNC player and a very good NBA player) would have been the perfect hire for North Carolina if he had shown any progress at Vanderbilt, but he's finished at the bottom of the SEC in his first 2 years. I thought Wes Miller would make the most sense since he's been winning at UNC-Greensboro, but I guess he's not a big enough name. Hubert Davis has been an assistant under Roy Williams for the last few years, he was an all-time great player and had a long NBA career. I guess he got hired because he looked to be the safest choice since no coach or player in the "Carolina Family" has been lighting it up as a coach. What's Tyler Hansbrough been up to!! LOL

I'm glad you guys brought up Duke, I think Tommy Amaker would be pressured by everyone associated with Duke to take the job if Coach K were to retire in the coming months. It would be similar to the way The Carolina Family instructed Roy Williams took the North Carolina job in 2003. T. Amaker is clearly the most successful coach in Coach K's family tree. Quin Snyder is also an interesting name. Is he free to come back to college? I recall he had some "lack of institutional control" issues at Missouri about 15 years ago and may have been hit with stiff penalties. For those of you who follow the NBA closely, you know Q.Snyder has the Utah Jazz THAT close to becoming a team that can win multiple championships. I'm not sure he would leave the Utah Jazz for Duke when Utah could be on the verge of winning multiple titles. 

Board footera