GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/20/2021 3:16 pm  #21

Re: Recruiting for 2021-22 Team.. Transfers and HS recruit news

Thank you FC

3/20/2021 4:37 pm  #22

GWRising wrote:

danjsport wrote:

This team has seven slots to fill. Are they going to fill all 7?? Hopefully they get some more front court depth

danjsport it's 5 not 7 players.

Ok.  Are they going to fill all 5?

3/20/2021 4:45 pm  #23

GWRising wrote:

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

GW18 wrote:

Announced transfer today

What is your source of information GW18?   Could not find anything on internet.  If it is true (and I have no reason to believe it isn't), I can't really see any reason why someone like Lincoln would want to stay.    Whether his leaving is a plus or minus for GW I can't say (although the visual of mass transfers is not a good one, even if it is happening elsewhere in GW).    Lincoln's game did not seem to develop over the course of his freshman year, but I don't know that it was ever given a chance to develop.   Make no mistake about it...this past seasons team was Bishopcentric, for better or for worse.   This was to the detriment of the overall development of most of the rest of the team, which really didn't seem to have the opportunity to display their strengths   Can't be much fun to be a guard on a team when one player controls the ball the vast majority of the time he is out there...and he was always out there.     6 players that were on the team at the start of the season have now left...5 of whom were either Christian recruits or never played for a college coach other than Christian.    As I said repeatedly, Christian should be given some more time to develop the team, but I am not sure how anyone can put a positive spin on the coaches first 2 years at GW.  

LSF, just a question ... have you looked at the transfer lists lately? Do you think what is going on at GW is unique? Again, I will tell you that if you want to be a top 4 team in the A-10 one day soon, only Jamison's transfer hurts. But he is not so good that he can't be replaced either. What happens next (what players we bring in) will have much more to do with JC's tenure than any of those that left.

Which of the 8 players remaining on the team do you think will be important to make GW a top 4 team in the A-10?  Any beyond lindo and bishop?  If any of the other six guys leave, they could be replaced too, no?  Every transfer out can always be theoretically replaced with a better transfer in.  Maybe GW finds a great shooter that plays better d than battle.  Maybe Brown becomes a viable center (others see it; I’m not convinced).  Maybe Freeman plays great and the backcourt is fine.  Or maybe he stinks and he transfers out too.  Or maybe he’s great and moves on. 

This goes back to the same point I’ve repeatedly made.  Jc seems to have no plan other than to see what happens and react.  Maybe he reacts really well-I hope so!  But we now have a team with eight guys, and with those eight, I do not see a foundation for a top four team

3/20/2021 5:46 pm  #24

I know that the transfer portal is overflowing, GW Rising. What I do not know is how many other teams have lost 6 players so far, and it is not yet the first day of Spring.  Further, I find the defense of Christian that of the 6 players that have left, only 1 of the 6 (Battle) hurts, but really not that much, to be disingenuous.   2 of the players (Sloan and Lincoln) were Christian recruits who played on the team for only one year.   If they were inadequate, it was because either they were not solid recruits or they did not develop their games while at GW, either of which have to fall on Christian.  Of course I recognize that Covid may have had a major impact on player development, but of the others (excluding Battle), all of them (Chase, Maceo and Jameer) seemed to have regressed this season.  Battle clearly improved his offensive game, but his defense remained woeful.   Does any of this fall on the coach?    The fact is that GW is 17-32 under Christian, with the number of bad/embarrassing losses too numerous to list, and after 2 years, I have no idea what the identify of this team is on either offense or defense.   What we have coming back is a solid (albeit misused in my opinion) player in Bishop returning; a second solid but hardly dominant player in Lindo returning, a 3rd player (Harris) who has played 11 games in 2 years and a lot of promises that help is on the way and that things are getting better.   Sorry, but I am just not seeing that we are headed in the right direction,  At least in my opinion, things need to happen next season…I am not expecting us to win the conference, but if we once again finish several games under 500 with losses to the likes of Hampton, UMBC and William and Mary, I think a change would be in order.

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (3/20/2021 5:47 pm)

3/20/2021 5:55 pm  #25

I think what we have here is a lot of people who follow GW but not too much college basketball. That's unfortunate but it is what it is.  Perhaps more amazing is the criticism of the players who left as not good enough but when they leave via transfer it's a full blown crisis. LSF should I go back and cite rhyme and verse where you said such things? What's disingenuous is to come back here now and claim its some sort of crisis when you are among others who made it your business to run some of these guys' abilities down here. You must like having things both ways. SMH

Last edited by GWRising (3/20/2021 5:55 pm)

3/20/2021 5:57 pm  #26

WOW I started this thread to get away from this same old debate. This topic of blaming or not blaming JC for the amount of transfers has been beaten to death. How about we leave this thread to actual info on new players. Take that argument back to the other threads please.

3/20/2021 6:12 pm  #27

Florida Colonial wrote:

WOW I started this thread to get away from this same old debate. This topic of blaming or not blaming JC for the amount of transfers has been beaten to death. How about we leave this thread to actual info on new players. Take that argument back to the other threads please.

FC...my intent was no so much to blame the coach of the the transfers (although I generally do for some of them) but to question the direction of the program so far under the 2 years of Christian.    GWRising...in terms of the players that left, i had been happy with Parr, Maceo and Nelson coming into this season; loved Battle (while critical of his defense), did not see enough of Lincoln to conclude anything (although I certainly did not like what I saw so far) and have ever really cared for Sloan, although I have stated repeatedly that a deadeye 3 point shooter can help any team, at least in a limited role.    Let me throw it back to you, GW Rising...to the extent that your status with the program allows you to be objective, are you satisfied where we are 2 years into Christian's coaching regime?    

3/20/2021 6:35 pm  #28

How about you start a question or don't question the coach or the direction of the program thread and those of us who are sick of the conversation can follow a topic about news of new players here.  I'm not saying you guys shouldn't have that conversation, I just want this to be a place where those who are sick of the bickering on this board can go for actual information on what our team might look like next year.

Last edited by Florida Colonial (3/20/2021 6:35 pm)

3/20/2021 6:49 pm  #29

On topic question.  How many spots will be filled for next year’s team?

3/20/2021 7:56 pm  #30

Fair enough, but I had thought this topic included transfers, and Ball's transfer certainly fell within the topic.  Didn't realize that this was just a news thread and not a news and commentary thread.  

3/20/2021 8:05 pm  #31

My intention was transfers in

3/20/2021 9:23 pm  #32

I believe we will bring in at least 4. I would expect 2-3 transfers and 1 -2 HS recruits. It's possible we could bring in 5 if one was a grad transfer.

3/21/2021 2:15 pm  #33

Atkins now following recent Iowa State recommit Jayden Nunn.

Verbal Commits

Iowa State commit article  

Have no idea how much interest either party has in the other but worth noting

Last edited by Florida Colonial (3/21/2021 2:17 pm)

3/21/2021 2:26 pm  #34

Arizona Transfer Ira Lee is being followed by several members of the staff and following them in return so there appears to be some interest from both parties.

Grad transfer with 1 year left
6'8" Forward
Former top 100 player

Transfer Article

“Ira is a great kid,” Miller said last week. “He’s one of the most popular players on all four teams that he’s played on. And trust me, there’s a lot of guys that come and go during the four years he’s been here. So if you take inventory of what I just said, being a great teammate, really caring about the team that he’s a part of, respecting our basketball program, those are things that Ira gets an A+ in. He’s also going to graduate, and getting a degree from the University of Arizona alone is quite an accomplishment. So he’ll do that this spring and I also think that he’s been a key contributor and been able to impact each of the four teams that he’s been on.”

Last edited by Florida Colonial (3/21/2021 2:27 pm)

3/22/2021 7:31 am  #35

Ira Lee would be the kind d of rim protector we’ve been sorely lacking and would likely make our defense better immediately. That would be a positive development, even just as a one year player (will add - with JC needing to show results last year, I wouldn’t blame him for bringing in multiple one year transfers who can help right away).

3/22/2021 8:27 am  #36

Free, he may not have a choice. But with the new state of college basketball why bring in anyone new, develop them, then have them transfer when they get better.  Who would want to coach in this kind of uncertain environment.  

3/22/2021 8:34 am  #37

Tennessee Colonial wrote:

Free, he may not have a choice. But with the new state of college basketball why bring in anyone new, develop them, then have them transfer when they get better.  Who would want to coach in this kind of uncertain environment.  

That's also been the mindset of some of the BCS coaches as well.  Why take a chance on an unknown high school kid when you can get a lower level transfer who has tape against college level talent?  For leagues like the A-10 we're in a tough spot because the kids like Armel Potter who would jump from a lower level school to us are now skipping us and going to a BCS school.

3/22/2021 11:47 am  #38

Tennessee Colonial wrote:

BINGO!

3/22/2021 12:36 pm  #39

Florida Colonial wrote:

How about you start a question or don't question the coach or the direction of the program thread and those of us who are sick of the conversation can follow a topic about news of new players here.  I'm not saying you guys shouldn't have that conversation, I just want this to be a place where those who are sick of the bickering on this board can go for actual information on what our team might look like next year.

Yes.

3/22/2021 12:45 pm  #40

Justin Byerly @JustinByerly 6m 
Boston University transfer Jack Hemphill has heard from UNC-Wilmington, Montana State, App State, Pepperdine, UC-San Diego, Cal-Fullerton and George Washington since entering the transfer portal.

Board footera