GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/22/2021 1:41 pm  #41

Re: Recruiting for 2021-22 Team.. Transfers and HS recruit news

If Hemphill is a boost for our program it would be a surprise considering how he did at BU doesn't.  After three years he is not a starter. Averaged 15 minutes playing time a game with 6 points per game.

3/22/2021 2:17 pm  #42

We should all be excited!
GW going after a Patriot League transfer with several other NON-BCS powerhouses.
3 more years of futility to go with the last 5 years.
We need a Sister Jean to pray for us.

3/22/2021 2:57 pm  #43

Merrick wrote:

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

6 players that were on the team at the start of the season have now left...5 of whom were either Christian recruits or never played for a college coach other than Christian.    As I said repeatedly, Christian should be given some more time to develop the team, but I am not sure how anyone can put a positive spin on the coaches first 2 years at GW.  

And don't forget one assistant coach--who left the team under mysterious circumstances and whose loss may have had some contributing role in lack of improvement over the season. Nima also probably had a hand in recruiting some of the folks we lost as well. 

Not that mysterious. GW doesn't discuss personnel decisions publicly. Both Nima and GW know why Nima is no longer coaching and that is all that matters.

3/22/2021 3:21 pm  #44

Sorry Rising assistants leaving mid season is not common and points to a disrupted situation and therefore I’m interested. Not saying it proof that JC is some kind of scoundrel but so many leaving is not calming.

3/22/2021 3:48 pm  #45

GW73 wrote:

If Hemphill is a boost for our program it would be a surprise considering how he did at BU doesn't.  After three years he is not a starter. Averaged 15 minutes playing time a game with 6 points per game.

I had the same concerns about Matt Moyer, namely the numbers were very unimpressive, but he obviously was a good pickup for GW.   On the other hand, Moyer was stepping down from Syracuse and Vandy, not stepping up from Boston University.   Besides, I will take 6 points per game from a part time player, especially if the other factors (rebounding, defense, etc.) are there.    

3/22/2021 3:56 pm  #46

I'd be fine if Hemphill filled one of 5 spots available.  I will not be fine if Hemphill is the guy that GWrising is telling me to be excited about.

3/22/2021 5:59 pm  #47

FredD is on point,especially in this case.
However he left,GW seems to have spent money sending Nima around the world,well more than the average assistant at this level.
Nima was credited by 24/7 Sports as Gapare's recruiter. Tafara Gapare has reclassified and there us no guarantee that he is coming. Many reasons he should for his athletic and academic growth, but until signed,no guarantees.
Brayon Freeman also cited Nima's efforts in his commitment.
Nima was promoted as our face out on the trail and lead recruiter. He disappears midseason. Meanwhile, midseason and later,we have an extraordinary amount of openings and the recruiter we invested in is gone.
  We can still nab some good transfers given all those on the recruiting market-- and any good freshmen that might be left. And we should do so.
  But for whatever reason,Nima's departure does not leave us in a great situation after another bad year.

3/22/2021 6:14 pm  #48

I have no inside information, but when you are openly advertising your services as an assistant coach via instagram to try and find a job, that is typically not a good sign.  Leads me to believe something went down with Nima that has resulted in him being radioactive (totally speculation on my part).  Second, the school year in NZ and Australia aligns to the calendar year.  There might be something else up with Gapare's recruitment, but it could be that simple.  

3/22/2021 7:43 pm  #49

A couple of other transfers that coaches have followed on twitter recently. Speculation but still better than having the same old arguments.

Darlinstone Dubar - Iowa State
Bio

JOSEPH "JOE" BAMISILE - Virginia Tech
Bio

3/22/2021 8:07 pm  #50

Hemphil?  Didn't crack the starting lineup at BU for 3 years?  That is who JC is after?

3/22/2021 10:07 pm  #51

If we are going to spitball interest at least try to be accurate. A lot of smoke out there for good reason.

3/23/2021 5:30 am  #52

Gwrising?

3/23/2021 7:27 am  #53

Mike K wrote:

Hemphil?  Didn't crack the starting lineup at BU for 3 years?  That is who JC is after?

Have we not learned anything from all the recruit rumors about who recruits have “heard from”?   Sometimes a player’s representative puts that stuff out there to try to gin up interest. 

I love these Twitter updates, but it’s not worth freaking out about who we are or are not going after based on this stuff,  because we have no idea if it’s true or what the context is.  We don’t even know that JC is after him - all we know is that someone connected to the kid claims he “heard from” us, whatever that means.

Last edited by Free Quebec (3/23/2021 7:28 am)

3/23/2021 8:04 am  #54

I agree FQ. I just post the twitter updates because it means a coach has made some level of contact but yes  players and their people certainly use these to hype their guys. Use the info at your own risk lol

3/23/2021 8:44 am  #55

Florida Colonial wrote:

I agree FQ. I just post the twitter updates because it means a coach has made some level of contact but yes  players and their people certainly use these to hype their guys. Use the info at your own risk lol

I’m glad you do.  I just think freaking about it is silly.

3/23/2021 10:39 am  #56

Perhaps it would help you guys to understand how this whole process works... it's the same as recruiting. If you were to walk into the GW basketball offices (or any other school's basketball office), there would be a board in one of the coaches' offices. On that board would be that school's recruiting prospects listed in order and sorted by position and class. Often there are symbols next to a kid. For example, things like HA (meaning High Academic or we'd have no trouble getting him in) or ? meaning we don't have a good feel for his academics. But most importantly, they are ranked by interest. Line 1 has the player a school most covets at that position. Subsequent names are less coveted but there is still interest and they become targets if the first guy goes elsewhere.. There could be 10-15 kids at a position listed and when one commits elsewhere he is taken off the board. Sometimes there are multiple players tied for the top spot meaning a school would take any of their commitments.

So what does this all mean? It means GW could have 10-15 transfers at a position it is kicking the tires on.. Because a coach is following a kid may or may not mean GW is even close to ready to pull the trigger. It's a two-way decision too so maybe the top choice isn't interested and they have to move down the list. Therefore, you have to be involved with a lot of names.

Point is you have to throw a lot of mud at the wall. Just because you hear "interest" doesn't mean "offer" and certainly doesn't mean "commitment". There are offers extended where the school may not be ready to take a commitment. 

My advice to everyone is to take a deep breath. We obviously have 5 spots to fill. What I can tell you is we are involved with a lot of good players. I know this because the word is travelling around. Which ones we will ultimately land upon is still to be decided. I am not privy to GW's board nor should anyone outside the coaches. I couldn't tell you for example if Hemphill is number 1 (I'd venture a guess he is not close based on some other names) or 15. It is probably one of the most guarded secrets not unlike a NFL team's draft board.

But you have to also remember two things in this process - it's not just who GW wants but it is also about who GW can get and who fits at GW. Every kid in the portal is looking for something different both academically and level of play. Some are on the way up and some are on the way down. Some just want a fresh start. There a lot of levels to this and it will take time to sort out. 

We are going to get good players to come here. But patience is a virtue right now.

Last edited by GWRising (3/23/2021 10:41 am)

3/23/2021 10:50 am  #57

GWrising . I only post people who our coaches are following to get an idea of some players who might be on that board . I certainly don't have any expectation that I'm getting any special info by reporting who they are following. The process you listed is logical and not anything surprising.   Believe me I'm not posting all the guys they follow either because that list would be getting really long.. Just having some fun while we wait

3/23/2021 11:00 am  #58

Right, I made a snarky comment a few years ago when Mojo was following some top 10 recruit on Twitter that it must mean we're close on a commitment.  I agree with FC that while all the players that coaches follow are at different levels of interest, obviously if multiple assistants are following and especially if that player follows them back there is at least something to monitor and certainly something to post here.  It's certainly a more productive exercise than rehashing the same old disagreements about summer 2016.  

I'm sure not all the "business" is done over twitter, but it's a good sign that at least cell phone numbers were exchanged.

3/23/2021 11:13 am  #59

Florida Colonial wrote:

GWrising . I only post people who our coaches are following to get an idea of some players who might be on that board . I certainly don't have any expectation that I'm getting any special info by reporting who they are following. The process you listed is logical and not anything surprising.   Believe me I'm not posting all the guys they follow either because that list would be getting really long.. Just having some fun while we wait

That wasn't directed at you Florida Colonial. Directed more at some of the reactions to the information posted here by others.

3/23/2021 12:41 pm  #60

Free Quebec wrote:

Mike K wrote:

Have we not learned anything from all the recruit rumors about who recruits have “heard from”? Sometimes a player’s representative puts that stuff out there to try to gin up interest.

I love these Twitter updates, but it’s not worth freaking out about who we are or are not going after based on this stuff, because we have no idea if it’s true or what the context is. We don’t even know that JC is after him - all we know is that someone connected to the kid claims he “heard from” us, whatever that means.

Certainly not worth freaking out about, but some of us may want to ask a question or 3 about a recruit rumor. 

Board footera