GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/30/2021 10:17 am  #1

2021-22 roster

We still have a ways to go to fill out our roster, but with the two new transfers, next year’s team is starting to take shape. 

I thought I’d start a thread to discuss the roster and lineup.  Please, please, please save the same-old repetitive ancillary discussions for other threads and let’s keep this one just about the roster. 

Best as I can tell, this is what we have:

PG/lead guards:  Bishop, Freeman, Brelsford
Wings: Bamisile, Lindo, Amir Harris, Nixon  (Bamisile is more of a guard and Lindo more of a F).
Bigs: Lee, Dean, Brown

Apologies if I forgot someone, but I think we have 3 spots  left.

Bishop, Bamisile, Lindo, and Lee seem like sure or highly likely starters. That leaves one spot either for a new player, or one of the freshmen. 

I love Harris’ game, but if healthy he seems ideally suited for a 6th man role because he’s a defensive stopper and creative passer, but not an outside shooter.  I also really like Tyler, but he also feels like a potential microwave scorer off the bench, unless his defense improves dramatically over the summer.

When I look at that roster, the thing I think we are most missing is a 3 and D-type - someone who can slot in next to Bishop and Bamisile and space the floor - especially because Lindo and Lee aren’t 3 point shooters and I have no idea if Bamisile can/will hit at a high clip.  It’s possible Freeman or Nixon are good enough to start next year, but I think we really need shooting to round out this lineup or teams will just collapse on us/Bishop and forced us into contested twos.

3/30/2021 11:06 am  #2

Re: 2021-22 roster

Just a few observations ...

Lindo primarily a 4 but can play some 3
Nixon is more a 4 than a 3
Dean will play some 4
Bamisile  is a 2/3
Harris is a 1/2/3
Freeman is mostly a 1 but can play 2
Bishop will likely be more at 2 than 1 this year
Brelsford can play 1/2
Lee can play 4
Brown is solely a 5

Point is other than Brown we have an incredibly versatile lineup which will give JC plenty of lineup options. And I'm sure we are not done yet.

3/30/2021 11:15 am  #3

That leaves us with a considerable amount of backcourt depth and flexibility with Freeman, Brelsford, Bishop, and Harris all able to play PG, with all also able to play off the ball.  Hopefully this leads to more ball movement than last year.  I still remain concerned about the 4/5 spot (unless Lindo is playing a small 4).  I'm not sold on Brown, and don't know nearly enough about Lee.  I'd like some more front court depth.  But certainly if Freeman can ball, the backcourt is exciting.  

Starting rotation of: Freeman, Bishop, Lindo, Lee, and Brown 
With a deep  guard bench and hopefully some quality minutes to be spread up front.

3/30/2021 11:43 am  #4

I would bet on a smaller lineup of Freeman, Bishop, Bamisile, Lindo and Lee to start but it's way too early for that because I'd be very surprised if we don't add 1-2 more. I don't think Bamisile or Lee are coming here without a chance to start.

3/30/2021 11:46 am  #5

You’re right, GWrising-I did not mean to leave him out.  I agree with your starting 5.

Do we think there is any risk that a guy like Tyler leaves as players like Joe and maybe Freeman come ahead of him on the depth chart?

3/30/2021 12:08 pm  #6

GWRising wrote:

Just a few observations ...

Lindo primarily a 4 but can play some 3
Nixon is more a 4 than a 3
Dean will play some 4
Bamisile  is a 2/3
Harris is a 1/2/3
Freeman is mostly a 1 but can play 2
Bishop will likely be more at 2 than 1 this year
Brelsford can play 1/2
Lee can play 4
Brown is solely a 5

Point is other than Brown we have an incredibly versatile lineup which will give JC plenty of lineup options. And I'm sure we are not done yet.

Lee can play 4, and as I posted in the other thread, I know he can make a mid-range J, but a lineup with Lee at the 4 and someone like Brown at the 5 would be very clogged in the middle, and I’m not sure Lee is switchable onto guards (guess we will find out). 

With the way this roster is taking shape, I have to think JC is thinking about trying to trap more aggressively and get more in transition (especially if we aren’t a great outside shooting team, we’ll need to use defense to generate offense).  However, when not trapping, I love the idea of being able to switch 1-4, which we know Lindo can do effectively, but I don’t know if that works with Lee.

Also want to make a point about rebounding. Last year we were a poor offensive rebounding team and an average-at-best defensive rebounding team (GMU game notwithstanding).  Ricky Lindo was an absolutely elite defensive rebounder when he played - he’d have been top 10 in the nation if he had enough minutes to qualify, though his offensive rebounding was far below Moyer.   

But Ira Lee’s rebound rates last year were similar to Moyer and Lindo (combined rates: Moyer 33.9, Lindo 34.2, Lee 33.9).  Having two guys on the court who are elite rebounders will be a huge boost - and then Bamisile is also an excellent rebounder for a guard (19.8 combined rebounding rate, which is higher than Bo Ziegler and comparable to a Yuta). 

I would think rebounding would become a strength and hope that JC would try to encourage us to hit the glass on offense.

3/30/2021 12:37 pm  #7

Bishop, Lindo, Bamisile, Lee and TBD.  Agree with GWRising that Joe and Ira wouldn't commit without "promise" to start.

3/31/2021 1:08 pm  #8

Already time to update:

PG/lead guards:  Bishop, Freeman, Brelsford
Wing guards: Bamisile, Adams
Wing forwards: Ricky Lindo, Amir Harris (point forward), Nixon
Bigs: Lee, Dean, Brown

My presumed rotation with more recruits still to come:

STARTERS? —
Bishop
Bamisile
Adams
Lindo
Lee

Bench guards:
  Freeman (backup point or possible starter?)
  Brelsford (microwave bench scoring, ideally)

Bench wings:
   Amir Harris (great glue guy/defender if healthy)
    Nixon (might have time to develop, or a key bench wing if ready)

Bench bigs:
    Dean (for trapping D and rim runs)
    Brown. (for defending bigs)

On paper, this is a much better team than we’ve had, though three point shooting might still be an issue.

4/01/2021 10:55 am  #9

I just want GW to reprise its once-amazing 1-3-1 defense with someone long like Lee at the top (where Garino, Regis, Omar once caused absolute wreckage).

4/01/2021 11:04 am  #10

Mentzinger wrote:

I just want GW to reprise its once-amazing 1-3-1 defense with someone long like Lee at the top (where Garino, Regis, Omar once caused absolute wreckage).

I don’t think Ira Lee fits that role at 240 pounds. He’s more of the rim protector we’ve been missing. 

I doubt we’ll play a 1-3-1, but if we did, it’s probably Bamisile at the top with his 7’2” wingspan - which is longer than Yuta’s wingspan.

4/01/2021 11:06 am  #11

How could I forget Yuta. Exactly.

4/03/2021 8:47 am  #12

If I read this right, we have two scholarships available. Is that correct?

4/03/2021 10:14 am  #13

Let’s. See.    We lost Parr, Battle, Ball, Seymore, Moyer, Nelson and Maceo.    That’s 7.   We have 2 frosh recruits and 3 transfers, for 5.   So unless we started the season with an unused scholarship, we should have 2,left.

4/03/2021 12:01 pm  #14

We also have Gapare from New Zealand who is expected to enroll for the 2nd semester next year So we only  have one scholarship left.

4/03/2021 5:18 pm  #15

I thought gapare was not coming next year

4/03/2021 6:10 pm  #16

If he is actually coming second semester, be interesting to see when we can sign him so it is formalized that he's coming.
If he is still at Scots College, his school's first term ends in April. One would think if Tafara is enrolled that would be the equivalent of start of senior year and the November signing period. The second term ends in July. The third term ends Oct. 1. 
  It looks like the NCAA regular period signing date starts in about two weeks and ends on Aug. 1
One would think that an argument could be made that Tafara could sign during that period, particularly after July. But haven't the slightest idea what the deal is for international players like him.
Obviously (and hopefully) there is a plan for when the earliest Gapare signing could be. Be interesting to find out when that is.
It would certainly be reassuring to sign him as soon as allowed.

Last edited by jf (4/03/2021 6:12 pm)

4/03/2021 6:22 pm  #17

Presumably he’ll redshirt that second semester so he’ll get a semester of practice and then play the next year. 

Leaves one scholarship open.

4/08/2021 11:29 am  #18

I see from the recruits thread that we offered another guard for 2021.  I don't pretend to know how to coach or recruit, but we already seem awfully deep at guard.  Is the benefit of another guard to protect against transfers?  Just fill a roster spot we have open?  We are thin up front; is it just that there are no good up-front options?

4/08/2021 11:36 am  #19

danjsport wrote:

I see from the recruits thread that we offered another guard for 2021.  I don't pretend to know how to coach or recruit, but we already seem awfully deep at guard.  Is the benefit of another guard to protect against transfers?  Just fill a roster spot we have open?  We are thin up front; is it just that there are no good up-front options?

Looks like we're taking a flyer on this guy.  Seems to be smart, a hard-worker, good shooter and pesky on D (at least that's the message in his self-produced profile videos), but too small for JC's liking.  Better than leaving a spot empty I guess and, who knows, he may be the next Steph Curry.

4/08/2021 11:53 am  #20

The offer tweet is no longer there.. Maybe he got a bit ahead of himself. It does strike me as a bit of an odd offer if its accurate

Board footera