GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/30/2021 6:48 pm  #1

Hoops and History web event

Anyone else watching this? Just turned it on about 10:00 into it and was surprised to see Bob Tallent bring up how the program went downhill after the 2016 NIT win. Didn't tell us anything we didn't know and wasn't too harsh but definitely mentions how the team got really bad and he's not exactly sure what happened. Surprised to hear that on a GW broadcast and so early.

3/30/2021 6:49 pm  #2

Re: Hoops and History web event

Very interesting so far

3/30/2021 8:02 pm  #3

That was an enjoyable zoom meeting (yes, such a thing is possible). My takeaways:
Probably deserves its own thread but Vogel came on the call to announce that Daryl Collette passed away this week. That took some of the enjoyment out of the event.
Mike Brown still looks like he could play 20-25 mins per game. He also said that he decided to attend GW because the dorm rooms had en suite bathrooms. Well, I guess that is one reason for a kid to pick a college.
Bob Tallent remains a basketball genious, not sure why he is not called on to do more analysis on broadcasts (OK, he is softspoken and not a hype man, so that is why).
The Keuster Era went 100% unmentioned, although Penders, ML and MoJo all got talked about (with only cryptic references to their undoings). Keuster was never accused of doing anything wrong, he was just a crummy coach with crummy talent and poor adminstrative support.

3/30/2021 8:21 pm  #4

Great memories. Fun listening to the stories. Glad I watched.

3/30/2021 8:38 pm  #5

Was a fabulous program.   Asked each why they chose GW.  In sum
Bob Tallent said he was attracted by the engineering school
Walt Szcerbiak found it breathtaking to see the Capitol.
Mike Brown liked Gimmelstob's blueprint for the program as well as being on an urban campus.
Kwame Evans chose GW because of Vaughn Jones and Yinka and liked Mike Jarvis and his vission.  He also liked being close to home (Kwame was from Baltimore)
Shawnta came because of Kwame Evans and GW's successes during the 90s.   He had many nice things to say about GW, how special it was and how it was the right place from him.  He clearly did not have any animosity about what may have transpired with his son.
Chris Monroe wanted to stay at home and knew he would go to GW, MD or Ge**geown.  He was very active in the community and wanted everyone to come see his games.  He also liked Penders style
TJ Thompson, who came across as very pleasant and intelligent, also bought in to Penders as a coach, but was concerned when he was replaced by Hobbs.  As it turned out, he was super impressed with Hobbs and said not only did he make better basketball players but made better men.
Mo Creek narrowed choices down to Maryland and GW, but when Maryland dissed him by cancelling a workout for him, he chose GW.  His hitting that 3 point shot in the BB&T to beat Maryland felt especially good for those reasons.
Tyler Cavanaugh said GW felt unique, liked the location as well as the talented team.   He credited the good coaching staff as a reason for choosing GW.

This was a great program.  Wish they had given us more than 2 days notice, because it was perfect for any old time fan.

3/30/2021 8:51 pm  #6

LSF: I registered for the program on March 18 so not sure why you only had 2 days notice. Dave Earl did a great job moderating the discussion. As much as I enjoyed hearing from the different players, I really got a kick out of the mentions they made of their teammates, players you and I saw play and remember but don’t always come to mind when looking back to that first game loss in our freshman year in November 1969 to Bunny Wilson and the U of Baltimore Bees.

3/31/2021 9:04 am  #7

Poog wrote:

LSF: I registered for the program on March 18 so not sure why you only had 2 days notice. Dave Earl did a great job moderating the discussion. As much as I enjoyed hearing from the different players, I really got a kick out of the mentions they made of their teammates, players you and I saw play and remember but don’t always come to mind when looking back to that first game loss in our freshman year in November 1969 to Bunny Wilson and the U of Baltimore Bees.

Chances are I did receive notice and may have overlooked it.  But I agree.  Hearing from Bob Talent and Walt about the olden days was great.  Loved hearing from players like Shawnta, TJ and Tyler  about how the Smith Center use to rock.   Tyler even said that the UVa game was the loudest game he was ever a part of, and as Wisconsin Colonial said, he played 2 years in the ACC (which means games at Duke, NC, etc.).   

4/01/2021 2:29 pm  #8

Here’s a recording of the event

Last edited by GW0509 (4/01/2021 2:31 pm)

4/01/2021 9:59 pm  #9

Thanks GW0509!  Nice recording. Nice to see Walt talk again. I'll never forget Walt battling Julius Erving and Umass in 1971 at MSG. Erving scored 35 pts and had 17 rebs. Walt scored 32 pts and had 23 rebs. Too bad we lost by 5.

Board footera